Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2004, 08:42 AM   #1

Talking Just bought my first Boxster!

Well I convinced the wife that I needed something that was better on fuel economy to drive back and forth to work than my 4x4 truck, so I began to scour the classifieds for something that fit the bill...and that I could stand to be seen in. I was pleasantly surprised at used Boxster prices, and after driving my first Boxster, I was hooked. Nothing else would do.

I ended up buying a 2001, Guards Red with black interior, Boxster (not and S, but that gives me something to look forward to when it's time to trade this one in). 30k miles with 4 months of factory warranty left. The interior looks brand new, the exterior has a few road chips, but otherwise it is in near excellent shape.

I took the wife with me to go test drive it at the dealership and once she saw it, she was sold! A nice surprise was that when they pulled it out of the garage, the used car manager informed my salesman that he also needed to get that thing out of his office. My salesman said "what thing?", A HARDTOP!!!! The salesman had thought it went to a Mercedes....so he's not very Porsche savvy (not to say that I am either.....yet).

After signing the paperwork and letting the wife drive it the 50 miles home (I know how to endear her to a new toy), I just happened to glance at the paper and saw that someone local had a near new set of Gemballa Competition 18" wheels with Hoosier racing slicks for sale for 2K. I was lucky enough to be the first caller and snagged them up! They threw in a Boxster racing roll bar, Sparco seat belts, a fire extinguisher and mount, and a front bra (it looks like it would go on a Z3, not a Boxster).

So now I need to find a place that is familiar with the Gemballa's to have the tires swapped out and to find someone who needs some Hoosier racing slicks. I'd even be willing to sell the roll bar.

I'd post a pic of the new prize, but not real sure how to do it here.

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Jeff

Last edited by Thumper; 12-12-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:09 AM   #2

jeff, welcome to the board and we hope you enjoy your boxster as much as the rest of us do!

It's 82 degrees with blue skies here in Houston today, so I will not make this post too long, the car is beckoning me to drive.

The tires and bra can easily be sold on ebay for some extra cash... that gives you a much wider audience for the stuff you need to sell.

BTW- get that car to an independent mechanic who works on Porsches and ask them to be as stinking critical as they can, finding every tiny thing wrong with it. Then head to the dealership with a list in hand. ANY noises he hears in the engine or tranny or steering, etc. should be examined by a dealer and they should prove to you that all is perfectly fine... then if something goes wrong you can tell them they missed it and it should be covered as a good-wll gesture for someone just out of warranty.

Now you are sure to want to know about DIY mods, and I think you should read the archives here because they are quite helpful. You should learn about "desnorkeling" and changing out your air filter or at least ripping off the foam to get more sound out of your engine, which is a common complaint.

There's lots of other stuff too, but you'll read all about that!

Enjoy your car and keep the shiney side up and the dirty side DOWN!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #3

Thanks. That's my plan. To have the car checked out by a first rate independent and then take it in for some warranty work.

I was just going thru my owner's manual learning wazzup with all the features of my new Boxster and discovered that it has PSM! This just keeps getting better all the time!
Old 12-12-2004, 04:17 PM   #4

Re: Just bought my first Boxster!

Quote:
Originally posted by Thumper
Gemballa Competition 18" wheels with Hoosier racing slicks for sale for 2K. I was lucky enough to be the first caller and snagged them up! They threw in a Boxster racing roll bar, Sparco seat belts, a fire extinguisher and mount

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Jeff
Welcome Jeff

Track days are a lot of fun so you might hold off on selling the track equipment for a couple of months while you think of it.

If you decide to go to a Drivers Education(DE) day, a replacement rollbar, sparco belts, and fire extinguisher will cost you $800-$1500 before the event.

Go ahead and sell the Hoosiers is you can. You really don't need them for your first dozen track days, and you might want to buy them in 16" or 17" when/if the time comes.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #5

I hadn't thought of that. The more I think of it, the more I would want to do a track day. I do believe that I will hang on to everything. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:22 PM   #6

Welcome Thumper.

Hey did anybody notice his car came with the manual!!!! Sweet, I think he is the first new person on this board who actually got a manual with a pre-owned car in a very very long time.

Thumper, if you start reading previous posts you'll notice a hell of a lot of people didn’t get the manual with their car.

On a serious note, I would keep all the racing stuff except the tires just like Ad Sach suggested. Just in case. Personally, I don’t want to spend the money for all that stuff, but if I already had it then I'd be over at the race track all the time.

Enjoy it, drive it hard, and make all your friends jealous.

PS: It was a balmy 51 here today, tomorow will be a high of 31 Sucks. However, the heated seats rule.

Last edited by QporscheQ; 12-12-2004 at 08:27 PM.
QporscheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
Lux

Modfever and you've just bought your car. Excellent!

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote