Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #1

4th trips???

Hey,
This thread looks like a great place to come talk about what everyone did with their Boxster over the holiday weekend. Hell, you can even talk about what you did with your other cars, too, just don't act like you had as much fun as we did!!
I've thought about trying what I did for awhile, so I tried it.
I went on mapquest and did a route to Macon, GA, where my oldest friend lives. He is also the indy Porsche mechanic I bring up from time to time.
Anyway, I went on mapquest and did a route to his house using the smallest country roads I could find from place to place. Most all were farm roads and I used the aerial photo option and turned tags on and off to make sure none of the roads I picked were dirt, or turned to dirt, as is common in Georgia back country.
It is 277 miles from my house to theirs, via Interstate. My route turned out to be 289 miles going basically in a straight line to Macon from Yulee, so you can see how much meandering my route took! Most of the roads were an absolute hoot and it took me less than an hour more than going Interstate (and running 80 the entire way) so you can judge the concentration level used! This time of year the Georgia farm country is beautiful, so on some of the roads I actually took it easy and enjoyed the serenity and beauty. Am I gettting old?
I did have one close encounter with a small branch laying in the road. I moved over to the left to go around it and out of nowhere came a dog from the left side of the road (I was going past a farm house on the left). The instant judgement told me the stick was my best option (I love dogs, too) so I ran over it, rather than destroying the nose of the box, not to mention the really pretty bulldog. It busted the little mud flap looking thingy in front of the right rear wheel. No other damage, so no big deal.
Aside from that small inconvenience, the drive up was wonderful. Top down driving, 69 degrees when I put it down at the agriculture inspection station, Florida/Georgia state line, 6:20 AM, and 87 degrees when I parked it at Randy's, 11:15 AM.
We had a great time. Ran around the area in the black spider and then took out his 351 Cobra replicar (Factory 5 427 kit). What a hoot that thing is!!
I stayed a bit later than I should have, so I took the Interstate home, top up, AC on. Got home just before ten and let the Maggs in. (Maggie, our half boxer, half catahoula doggie)

:dance:

I filled up this morning before doing the mandatory post-trip black car cleanup.... and I averaged 24.2 mpg on the trip. That's alot of fun per gallon!!

Last edited by Quickurt; 07-06-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add mpg
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #2

It rained all day in Northern KY. So no top down driving. I took advantage of the sunless sky to wax my Boxster in the garage. Towards late afternoon it finally stopped. The wife and I took the Boxster and went to an outdoor concert, Charlie Daniels Band and 38 Special. Charlie Daniels stank. The dude needs to retire, but 38 Special rocked the house, er lawn. We did not sit down once their entire set.

Afterwards they had fireworks. Awesome. Don't know if any of you out there in cyberland know of the Rozzi Bothers, but these dudes are internationally known for their fireworks displays and last night did not disappoint.

But in the end I miss the good old days of my youth when the 4th meant it was okay, and not politically incorrect, to blow stuff up in the back yard.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
bmussatti

I did 400 miles today. Mostly country roads through Wisconsin. With a couple bathroom breaks, one fuel stop, drive through at McDonalds for a burger, I was home and parked in the garage within 6 hours.

My new tires are now "scrubed-in"!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I drove my Boxster to my parents house six blocks away and parked it and rode with my brother and dad to see a movie and have lunch. Then I came back, drove the Boxster six blocks home, took a nap, and stayed up all night working. Yeah, my life is exciting.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #5

I took a top down drive to Lynchburg, TN and did a tour of the well known distillery there.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Ike

The Man was sleeping, I was rollin'!

Hey Fans,

On the 5th I woke up at 5 am, poked the wife with a stick, drove to town in the light of dawn, and fired up my 2003 RUFster S. At 6:50 am we left W. Laramie and headed through Woods Landing, WyoCola, Cowdrey, and Walden. In 68 minutes we traveled 101 miles to the base of Rabbit Ears Pass.

I did not carry on the pace (89mph avg) over the pass because of the Instant On the smokeys use. I thought the run was good enough and did not press my luck.

We watched a couple of good friends ride in the rodeo slack at Steamboat Springs, ate lunch and headed back at a leisurely pace, V1 screaming occasionally.

This is God's Playground for the Boxster out here in a remote part of the Rockies. There are so many outstanding canyon and pass roads with so few mounties and tourists. I use every bit of my RUF upgrade when I go out for a dawn run, and never have regreted a cent that I spent on it.

Ike
Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #7

If I had discovered the west before I had established my business, I would be living there now.
I'm jealous Ike.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Ike

Thumbs up Black is Back

Hey,

Grab a map. A person and their Boxster can spend a fantastic driving trip in this part of the world. The Rockies from Montana to New Mexico are webbed with two lane roads that are thrilling to run.

Ike
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I've never been to any of those states in my life. One day I'll have to head that way. Sounds like fun.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
I've never been to any of those states in my life. One day I'll have to head that way. Sounds like fun.
You are alot closer than I am in Florida, bun!
Let's see, the older than dirt years are flowing together.......we took the RX8, so it was summer of 2004, yes, that's it, it's becoming a little more clear....
We left Amelia Island area with our only plans being Yellowstone, sometime in the next two weeks. We did Mt. Rushmore, Custer battlefield, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Salt Lake, Arches National Park, Mese Verde National Park, Taos NM, Philmont Boyscout ranch in Cimmaron, NM (I had gone as a Scout in '66) and many points in between. 7,127 miles on the RX8!!
The only way to vacation, a basic direction with no plans and no reservations. Just relax and enjoy!! :dance:

Last edited by Quickurt; 07-07-2008 at 03:26 AM. Reason: bear paws
Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
Ike

Lightbulb Before you die, or to die trying.....

Hi Travelers,

These are my favorite winding 2 lane Rocky Roads. Jot them down on a "To Do" list. Bring a new set of tires to shred. No particular order:

Sheridan WYO -> Cody via 14a
Cody WYO -> Red Lodge MT via 212 Beartooth Hwy
Going to the Sun Road, Glacier Nat Park -> only when the park facilities are CLOSED.
Laramie WYO -> Saratoga via 130
Laramie -> Rustic CO loop via 230, 14, 287
Delta CO -> Carbondale via 92, 133 (stay at Redstone Inn)
Pagosa Springs CO (do the springs) figure 8 -> Montrose via Telluride, Silverton, Creede, & Cimmaron.
Glenwood Springs -> Steamboat Springs via 131

Happy Trails,
Ike
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #12

I went to a Metro NY PCA DE event at Pocono Raceway and ran my Boxster S around the track at 100+ mph in the rain. Best 4th of July I ever had!

2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #13

I spent the day applying leather to my rear storage box and then took off my passenger side door to measure it for leather as well.

No trips this year :ah:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Hi Travelers,

These are my favorite winding 2 lane Rocky Roads. Jot them down on a "To Do" list. Bring a new set of tires to shred. No particular order:

Sheridan WYO -> Cody via 14a
Cody WYO -> Red Lodge MT via 212 Beartooth Hwy
Going to the Sun Road, Glacier Nat Park -> only when the park facilities are CLOSED.
Laramie WYO -> Saratoga via 130
Laramie -> Rustic CO loop via 230, 14, 287
Delta CO -> Carbondale via 92, 133 (stay at Redstone Inn)
Pagosa Springs CO (do the springs) figure 8 -> Montrose via Telluride, Silverton, Creede, & Cimmaron.
Glenwood Springs -> Steamboat Springs via 131

Happy Trails,
Ike
We did Jackson Hole WY -> Brigham City, UT via 89. Wonderful, but I had warped a front rotor on the RX8, which saved wifey!!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #15
FTD

I left the Boxster at home and rode down to Darien, GA near Brunswick, Jekyll, St Simons, etc. Beautiful live oaks with spanish moss, marsh lands, chasing porpoise by boat, walking the beach at Sapalo island, bicycling at Jekyll, fishing, etc. Hot and muggy like a southern novel in the morning, cool and breezy in afternoon. Dramatic storms with a tornado or two on Sat evening. Blue crabs, fiddler crabs, shrimp; herons and pelicans and painted buntings. Clear night sky showing off the milky way. Quiet serenity or a little guitar to go with the martini. Like that.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #16

[QUOTE=FTD]I left the Boxster at home and rode down to Darien, GA near Brunswick, Jekyll, St Simons, etc. Beautiful live oaks with spanish moss, marsh lands, chasing porpoise by boat, walking the beach at Sapalo island, bicycling at Jekyll, fishing, etc. Hot and muggy like a southern novel in the morning, cool and breezy in afternoon. Dramatic storms with a tornado or two on Sat evening. Blue crabs, fiddler crabs, shrimp; herons and pelicans and painted buntings. Clear night sky showing off the milky way. Quiet serenity or a little guitar to go with the martini. Like that.[/QUOTE
Wifey and I rode up to Jekyll and St. Simons about a month ago for a nice Saturday evening dinner on St. Simons. Not a bad little trip up from Amelia Island and it's about as different from Amelia as you can get. Low key, layed back and quiet.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #17

We took the Boxster to the Pacific NW Historic races.

There were a few Porsches in attendance since they were the tribute marque.

and some other cars as well

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #18

Oh man!! I'll be joining my wife at my daughter's in Tumwater (south Olympia) on the 17th. I always just miss the great events!!
The 917 brings dampness to the old eyes. My first sportscar race was Sebring in '68! Jo Siffert won in a 907 and that started my Porsche love affair and I was a major Siffert fan until his death at Brands Hatch in '71. His drives at Daytona and Sebring in the 917 were a sight to behold and memories that will never fade.
I am also honored to be aquainted with his 917 team mate, Brian Redman, who lives in south Jacksonville Beach (Ponte Vedra) and is a major part of the Jacksonville racing fraternity.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
I drove my Boxster to my parents house six blocks away and parked it and rode with my brother and dad to see a movie and have lunch. Then I came back, drove the Boxster six blocks home, took a nap, and stayed up all night working. Yeah, my life is exciting.
LB , I think I got ya beat. I had to work all day and night of the 4th (healthcare profession). Boxster sat in the garage crying for attention.

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote