Thread: 4th trips???
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Quickurt

4th trips???

Hey,
This thread looks like a great place to come talk about what everyone did with their Boxster over the holiday weekend. Hell, you can even talk about what you did with your other cars, too, just don't act like you had as much fun as we did!!
I've thought about trying what I did for awhile, so I tried it.
I went on mapquest and did a route to Macon, GA, where my oldest friend lives. He is also the indy Porsche mechanic I bring up from time to time.
Anyway, I went on mapquest and did a route to his house using the smallest country roads I could find from place to place. Most all were farm roads and I used the aerial photo option and turned tags on and off to make sure none of the roads I picked were dirt, or turned to dirt, as is common in Georgia back country.
It is 277 miles from my house to theirs, via Interstate. My route turned out to be 289 miles going basically in a straight line to Macon from Yulee, so you can see how much meandering my route took! Most of the roads were an absolute hoot and it took me less than an hour more than going Interstate (and running 80 the entire way) so you can judge the concentration level used! This time of year the Georgia farm country is beautiful, so on some of the roads I actually took it easy and enjoyed the serenity and beauty. Am I gettting old?
I did have one close encounter with a small branch laying in the road. I moved over to the left to go around it and out of nowhere came a dog from the left side of the road (I was going past a farm house on the left). The instant judgement told me the stick was my best option (I love dogs, too) so I ran over it, rather than destroying the nose of the box, not to mention the really pretty bulldog. It busted the little mud flap looking thingy in front of the right rear wheel. No other damage, so no big deal.
Aside from that small inconvenience, the drive up was wonderful. Top down driving, 69 degrees when I put it down at the agriculture inspection station, Florida/Georgia state line, 6:20 AM, and 87 degrees when I parked it at Randy's, 11:15 AM.
We had a great time. Ran around the area in the black spider and then took out his 351 Cobra replicar (Factory 5 427 kit). What a hoot that thing is!!
I stayed a bit later than I should have, so I took the Interstate home, top up, AC on. Got home just before ten and let the Maggs in. (Maggie, our half boxer, half catahoula doggie)

:dance:

I filled up this morning before doing the mandatory post-trip black car cleanup.... and I averaged 24.2 mpg on the trip. That's alot of fun per gallon!!

Last edited by Quickurt; 07-06-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add mpg
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote