Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I wish people wouldn't comment on the replica wheels unless they have had them or know someone that has.........

On my 99' I had Italian made replica Carrera Lightweights. The rear driver wheel was dragged along a side wall when I crashed it,all that happened was it was scratched and slightly bent. It didn't shatter,it didn't fall apart or crack.

My Dad has replica Carrera Classic on his 996,no problems to date and balanced perfectly to spec.

I have replica Sport Technos on my 986 S. No problems to date.

By the way,each time we ditched OEM ones for replicas. Would we prefer OEM ones,sure but I'm not forking over $4k for new wheels anytime soon too many other mods to do.

Ask around on the forum everyone that has had them here likes them.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #22

I don't know where you came from to get to Mt Dora, but the back roads - 452 and 315- going up to and around Ocala were fun.
But then, don't know what you're driving in Florida, either!!
My dad and I went to Watkins Glen every year from 71 to 78, for the F1 race. Talk about some neat roads up from Corning! Wish I would've had the box then! We took my 64 356 C the first trip, but it was really cramped for that trip from Hialeah!
We went five times in my grandfather's 63 Dart station wagon! A Miami bargain special: slant six, push-button automatic and NO HEATER! White w/red simulated artificial naugahyde (crappy sheet plastic) interior. Oh, those were the days. The damned thing thing never missed a beat.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #23

Thanks Blink. We all get to dreaming (wet on some of them!) and BSing, but your post was the info I was looking for. I think you're going to have a hard time making any decent wheel fail without slicks. Street shoes just don't have the grip. Banging them doesn't count, you can break anything on a curb or pothole.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #24

Blink and I bought our wheels on the same place and as of now, after 6 AX, still straight and good looking

and i'm gonna say this again...It's so easy to clean
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #25

I have a year and a half on my Italian made aftermarket carrera lights, bought from www.wheeldynamics.com.

The ones you're looking at appear to be the exact same rims from another source. I know this because they all come with crappy, silkscreened black inked center caps. I scratched off the paint with my fingernail.

That's my only gripe. These rims are beautiful, well made, balance perfectly and make my boxster look ten years younger...Ok, five years younger.

Go for it. I paid $1200 plus shipping.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Find Wheelsandcaps on eBay best prices on Italian made replicas.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Find Wheelsandcaps on eBay best prices on Italian made replicas.
They don't have the Carrera Lightweights listed to fit boxster