Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #1

Boxster-worth it?

All right- so I'm a 31 year old male, I have a good job and could afford a 911 new if I wanted, but I don't want to spend that much. I think $35K is about what I want to spend right now, and I consider that to border on the wasteful, but what the heck...

I am not so much into badges, I'm looking for a sports car. I drove a Cayman S and like it quite a bit, but they're currently still pricey and a friend told me that they had heat issues with the engine right behind you with the closed roof. so I'm thinking about a Boxster.

Do you guys think the Boxster is worth the difference over a Miata, both in money and in potential for maintenance disaster? Is the Boxster reliability still a crapshoot if I look for a good one with maintenance records and maintain it religiously? I'm pretty good with maintaining my vehicles. I find the Miata to be fun, but the steering wheel doesn't quite clear my right leg, which isn't optimal. I haven't driven a Corvette, either, and I am struck by how one can buy a 2 year old non-Convertible Corvette for the same price as a 3-4 year old Boxster- I take it the Boxster handling makes up for the sheer grunt that the Corvette has? Horses for courses and such? I don't need overpowering speed, handling is fun...

Sorry for the ramble- mostly it's about trying to figure out if the maintenance gamble is worth it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Osprey01; 05-06-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Osprey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:16 AM   #2

The three cars you mentioned are all very very different.

I recommend you drive them, all three on multiple ocassions.

The other issues you mentioned are secondary, in my mind. The issue is, which one floats your boat?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:57 AM   #3

Read the thread "Why did you buy your Boxster" right below this one and that should answer your question
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You're the only one that can decide, but I would drive all three cars like Brucelee said before making a decision. If you're after a lot of HP and straight line speed don't get a Porsche, but if you want something that can out handle just about anything look at the Boxster and Cayman. Personally, I would choose the Boxster because you have the ability to have a hardtop or a softtop, but it all really depends on what you want.

Also, the maintenance isn't too bad. You can DIY just about everything on this car if you want, and unless you have a major problem the average maintenance price is about the same as any other german car.
Good Luck with the Decision!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #5

IMHO...

The most Practical - Miata

The most Bang for the Buck - Corvette

The most Prestige, Best Handling, most Headaches - Boxster

All three are excellent cars and each has it's own trade-offs. Seems like you need some extensive Seat Time in each... the answer will come to you.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #6

I beg to differ on the most bang for the buck, i got an Awesome deal on my 2001 Boxster S and i get alot more overall car than i would of spending the same amount on a American less well put together Vette
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #7

First of all, I don't think you need to spend $35,000 for a great Boxster. I just purchased a 2000 with 30,000 miles for $18,000. Car runs perfectly. Spend another $5,000 and you can get a low mileage S , 2002-2003.

The cost is about the same as any German car. Overall, very reliable.

I had a 1999 Miata a few years ago and there is no comparison. While the Miata is dependable, it is slower, much less solid, does not corner as well and is much louder. I could not talk on my cell phone in the Miata and have no problems in my boxster.

The Vet is a great car, but very different from the Boxster. Faster, but I don't like the ride as much and don't think it corners as well. In addition, I see so many vets on the road and don't see alot of Boxsters.

Goot luck!
Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #8

I've owned two Vettes, an 04 Commemorative Edition Convertible, and an 06 Coupe, both loaded to the hilt, and both with any performance upgrades, such as stiffer suspension, etc. While they are very very fast, they don't compare to the Porsche, at least to me. Living here in NJ it is hard to find roads without any traffic, and in traffic both Vettes were a chore. Getting them to handle well and driving them fast is also a chore. Driving the Boxster is just......

Bliss.
concept84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #9

Everyone has pretty well answered your question. I would only add that you should buy the best car you can afford or want to budget for. IF Boxster, then.....

The are several Boxster changes to consider like the glass rear window in 03. The 987 in 05. And which options you'd have to have and which are just nice to have.

Me - I had to have an S with 6spd, heated seats, cruise control and Carrera lites. Oh yeah, and black or basalt over Savanna or grey.

Litronics, Bose, auto A/C were nice to haves. Some options are easy to add after the fact. Others are too hard, too expensive or impossible.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #10

Thanks for the answers

Do people recommend the PASM strongly? How much is maintenance and repair on an 03 or 05 likely to run? More than $2k a year?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #11

PSM is an option that depends on each person. I wanted it on mine as I wanted the extra safety factor. PASM uses the ceramic brakes and isn't a common option.
I believe PSM became standard in '05.
For maintenance costs, outside of any major work, I budget 1k a year for maintence - spring tune-up and winterizing the car. Depending on the mileage of the car and the regular maintenance that needs to be done, you could get as high as 2k.
A lot of the work can be DIY which can keep the costs minimized.
ancster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #12

Major Updates

I would be looking at either the 2nd model year update (with glass window) or the 3rd (I believe 2005)- aside from the increased power after 2005, anything else to recommend either of these options?

Has Porsche definitely solved the RMS leak issue after a certain model year?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancster
PSM is an option that depends on each person. I wanted it on mine as I wanted the extra safety factor. PASM uses the ceramic brakes and isn't a common option.
I believe PSM became standard in '05.
Not quite correct...

PASM - Porsche Active Suspension Management system. Includes active managment of suspension firmness and a ride height decrease of -10mm from the standard suspension. ( $1,990 )

PCCB - Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) system. Carbon-fiber reinforced ceramic brake discs, internally ventilated and perforated, and yellow painted brake calipers. ( $8,150 )

PSM - Both Boxster models are equipped with Porsche Stability Management (PSM) as standard.

( from Porsche website referring to current models )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #14

Oops. Thanks for that- I meant PASM. Do people recommend that?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #15

[QUOTE=Osprey01]I would be looking at either the 2nd model year update (with glass window) or the 3rd (I believe 2005)- aside from the increased power after 2005, anything else to recommend either of these options?

Has Porsche definitely solved the RMS leak issue after a certain model year?[/QUOTE]

Don't think so on the RMS.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
RMS failure is more likely to happen to a '97-98 Boxster, all the other 986's have about the same chance, but once you get past 25-30k miles your chances of it happening decrease drastically. It was a metal and seal issue, and I believe they updated the seal around '00.
With a 987 it isn't likely but has happened.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #17
bmussatti

Osprey01, I would also recommend a call into your insurance company. Ask for quotes based on the cars you are looking at. This info may play into you decision making process too.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Osprey01, I would also recommend a call into your insurance company. Ask for quotes based on the cars you are looking at. This info may play into you decision making process too.
That is excellent advice !
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #19

I don't think the Boxster handles better than a Corvette.

The Boxster has more tactile feedback in it's steering and other imputs, but in terms of carrying speed around a corner and chassis stiffness the Corvette is equal if not better.
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #20

How expensive is the RM Seal to fix, if it does go out. I assume it is fixable? Does Porsche help out of warranty if it's a known defect?