Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #21

truth be told my Miata was allot more fun to drive. And not nearly as expensive to maintain. Someone offered me much dinero for my Miata so I decided to take the sure money. In retrospect I think that was a mistake but I couldn't get away with having two sports cars that only had four seats between the two.

But the BoxsterS is the only car that wouldn't have made me feel regret and its a zillion times safer.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #22

My job sucks, I'm going through a divorse, I just spent 8 months in Iraq and I am going to spent 6 months a year for the next 3 years 500 feet under the ocean, but all I have to do is put the top down and go for a drive and all seems well.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I wanted a car that I wasn't going to regret buying two years after I bought it. Three years of Boxstering now and I'm still smiling when I fire it up.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #24

1-Mid-engine

2-Steering feel

3-Low curb weight

I had 3 S2000s in the past and was tired of dumping money into aluminum steering rack bushings, suspension-chassis mods, etc.. to make the Honda have a little bit of steering feedback.

Then I focused on upgrading the brakes which felt week plus the ABS would kick in all the time under hard braking.

And I always had a fantasy of owning a mid-engine car since all the best supercars were mid-engined. I figured there has to be a reason.

Well one drive of the Boxster S solved all my problems. It's more comfortable than the S2000 while handling just as well. It has 10X more steering feel even being 100% stock.

You also just can't beat the sound coming from behind your left ear...
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #25

I drive an SUV everyday out of necessity and wanted a weekend ride. I had previously owned a Z3 and an SLK. After driving a Boxster S, I was totally sold and had to have one. I had always wanted a 911, but after looking at the two side by side I think the Boxster has a better overall look. The rear of the 911 convertible has that round look to it, while the Boxster's is lower and more streamlined. With the rear of the car flatter than the 911 the Boxster also looks wider, similar to some of the true exotic sports cars.

I don't know about you guys, but I catch myself walking around the car and just admiring it from different angles! I am not sure if you ladies do this, but we get it honest. It is ingrained in men to like curves. This car has got em, can take em, and if your single, help you get em! Two out of the three for me and my wife has never even sat in the car.
h20break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #26

I grew up around Porches, my dad is a fanatic you can say...there was always at least one Porsche in the garage for as long as i can remember... once my brother got his boxster and i drove it i decided to trade in my old car for a box too which i found a good deal on a few yrs later ... so i guess we're keeping Porsche a tradition in the family lol
its funny because my dad said he would only drive the boxster as a beater car yet most of us here dont think of boxsters as beaters haha ( at least i know i dont)

what got me to actually buy it other then that was:
good deal on a great car
white= i loveee white cars
convertible= im a sucker for convertables
came with a hardtop for those cold/snowy chicago winters
fairly easy to mod, make it your own...
all around great little car...and a good sports car for its price range
good on gas compared to other sports cars ive owned

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #27

Because I am insane? Why else would one own a nice Porsche when you live in godforsaken weather wasteland like the Twin Cities! Okay, the weather here this spring has got us locals down a little.

I have always like the look of the Boxster, always got me to take a second look when I saw one. Last spring I was at the Mazda dealer pricing a new battery and there was this extra fine black Boxster in the parking lot. Started thinking about getting one and finally pulled the trigger 6 weeks a go. Like the car more with each drive (in spite of the crappy weather).

BTW: this board is great for getting up to speed on the Boxster.
ISUnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #28

Talking

Last October a friend of mine invited me to his house to show me something, when I got there he showed me his 1997 Boxster and took me for a ride, well the ride was nice then he told me to drive it. I got into the drivers seat and let down the top and after driving it for a few blocks I was hooked.

I asked him where he bought it from and he took me to the dealership where he bought it, I saw a few Boxsters on the lot but since I wanted a early model year at the time I passed on looking at any of the cars because they only had the later model cars. But on the showroom floor was a 2007 base Boxster and boy did it look nice, the salesman asked me if I wanted to drive it, I said no because I was not ready to buy a car at the time but I did pick up the Boxster sales literature book and read it cover to cover the same night.

Well 2 days later, I went back to the dealership with my son and sat in the 2007 and it felt great and I was hooked and lined. Then I went home and after learning about the differences between the 986's and the 987's I decided to look for a 987 and after visiting a few websites along with a few dealerships I found my 2005, then drove it and i was then officially hooked lined and sinkered and have been happy ever since.
AreaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #29

honestly? a guys son bought it for $46000, drove it for 18 months then had job offer with mizuna in the states, he parked the boxster in his dads heated gym. 20 months later he gets a promotion so rings his dad and tells him to sell the boxster and whatever money he gets put it towards his DADS retirment fund.

his dad starts the car to find water coming from underneath, turns off car and leaves it for another 2 months, he asks me if i want to buy it for $16000,( he knew that i'm into cars) I dont know how bad the problem is so i take a chance and offer $13000, we settle on $14000, i get the car home and discover the left hand radiator has small corrosion hole in the corner where road salt and debris has collected.

After $230 (new rad) and 3 hours (fitting) my wife now has a virtually mint 1997 2.5 69.000 mile boxster, the son has a great job and the dad has a great nest egg, winners alround!!!!

i bought the boxster 1 year ago this month
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #30

ps, when i bought it the average 1997 boxster prices in the UK were between $22000 - $28000 i did'nt sell it because the guy gave me that "i want it to go to a good home" line, well i'm glad i listened to him...it's a keeper!!!
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #31

So thats like 4-5 of us already being had no intentions at all of buying a Porsche and now are living the dream :dance:
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #32

For me I hope I have found the right car. I've spent the last 2-3 years looking for my the perfect sports car and have had many, and every one of them came up short. They were always fun for a month, and then something just wasn't right and I'd get rid of them.

For example, I had an S2000 for a grand total of about 10 days.

I went through car after car after car, until my girlfriend went crazy and told me to stop. She was now in on the buying process and I ended up trading my S4 in for a new A3, because it was both fun and practical, and she could drive it because it was the DSG tranny (clutchless manual, flappy-paddle gear box).

This lasted nine months until the first nice day when all the convertibles came out. I started looking immediately. I made my rounds and drove everything I had previously owned (Z4, S2000, MR2 and nothing really fit the bill. Then I figured I'd give Porsche another try and wow!

This is the car for me!

Funny part of all this is 3 years ago the first car I looked at when starting this whole car buying experience was a Boxster, but the one I looked at was in such bad shape I swore off Porsche all together, and just assumed this was the way they were.
concept84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #33

I also want to add that Jeremy Clarkson and the guys at Top Gear and fully responsible for me blowing so much money on cars lol.

I chose the boxster in the end because in all the years the show has been running, they really could never say anything bad about it, and it always beats something in a challenge every time its on the show.
concept84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #34

Yet another accidental buyer.

Got my dream car in 05 (Loaded Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, before they ruined it with the 4 doors and independent suspension). This left my wife driving our old 02 Ford Focus. Started feeling pretty bad about the situation, even though she didn't seem to mind and was not really a car person. Promised her the next car would be a little convertable for HER.

Sold the focus and started looking at Miatas and MR2 spyders, thought about the Mini Cooper, but Porsche never crossed my mind (Too expensive, out of reach).

Budgeted ~ 10k to find her said Miata, found a White 1998 Box for 10k...

Miata or Porsche... Done Deal!

In retrospect, should have done better homework on the Box, since previous owners did not maintain it as well as I would have liked. But for that price, I could bring it up to great condition and still consider it a deal.

Just bought it last week and other then worrying about the dreaded engine failues, could not be happier. Giving my wife her dream car was worth every penny!
dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
"Could we really get a Porsche for that kind of money?" BANG...done deal.
Hahaha... funny story Grizzly. You made the right move.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #36

I hear ya bro! My story is similar to Silver Arrow's. I spent two years in China on a job. My wife (of 15 years) moved back to the States six months before me. When I finally came back I wasn't on US soil for 48 hours before I had divorce papers served on me! A week after that I was starting a new job in Northern California, but my family and kids were all back in the Mid-west.

That was a pretty depressing time for me. I was living in a hotel and facing my first Christmas alone. So I got myself a little Christmas present - I bought my Boxster. That car could always put a smile on my face and helped me to pull myself out of a tough period in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
My job sucks, I'm going through a divorse, I just spent 8 months in Iraq and I am going to spent 6 months a year for the next 3 years 500 feet under the ocean, but all I have to do is put the top down and go for a drive and all seems well.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #37
Track rat

Garage
Lots of reasons.

I wanted a joyride. My kids were all off to college so no need to drive a minivan/suv/familymobile anymore. I drive a pickup truck for work (boring). I had a Porsche GT "Dan Gurney" slot car as a kid. The last time I owned a true sports car was in college 1975. I just sold off a portion of my business so after paying the taxes and paying off some debts I still had a nice pile of cash in the bank. Time for a special gift to myself .

At first I thought I would just pick out a nice 996TT, Saleen Mustang, or a Vette. After driving each of them I refocused a little. They all had tons of HP and torque, went 180+, looked good, but I figured I would rarely get them out of 2nd gear. I don't street race. Too much car, not enough fun.

Next I looked at classics like the 911SC, Ferrari 308GTS, and the Beck 550 Spyder replica. Great cars, lots of tinkering required, no modern conveniences. Nope, not yet.

Then I started looking at Boxsters. The more I read about them and drove them, the more I liked them. They looked great right off the lot, sounded great, plenty fast enough for me, extraordinary handling and balance, and modern conveniences like air conditioning, airbags, computer controlled fuel injection, rev limiter etc. A great modern roadster at a very reasonable price. By far the most fun car I drove out of all the others. Sold! I paid cash for the car, invested some of my leftover $$, and donated a good chunk to charity. I have been grinning ever since.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #38

My love affair with Porsche started at the Detroit Auto show when I was 11. Saw a beautiful 911 fat a$$ with a whale tail - similar to the arctic silver color. Hooked I was. Poster of Porsche's hung in my room growing up. I loved the Box when it was introduced...love that roadster look. Everything I heard about it being the most true handling vehicle ever built...don't need a ton of HP to beat that!

Besides, one of my boyfriends after college had a 92 Chevy Camarro and then a 91 Vette. I actually preferred the Camarro over the vette. A much smoother ride for one thing!

I had been looking at buying a Box in 2002 but needed a larger vehicle to haul all my crap -and my bordeaux mastiff around...so the Box had to wait.

But now....it's time to take the Box for a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kennedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #39

I have always wanted a Porsche since I was a kid. I decided that I was ready to get my sports car when the house was paid off. I started looking a different cars - S2000, 350Z, Z4, Audi TT, 911, etc to find the one that would provide the sportiness, looks and practicality that I needed. I looked for over a year at the different cars and decided on the boxster after taking a few test drives. The driving performance on winding roads with the top down sold me and the golf clubs fit in the trunk as a bonus.
ancster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #40
eqs

It's really amazing how different we all are ...... but yet the same. In the end, we all love our Boxsters ....... with a real passion. It makes me happy to see so many other people happy too. Top down, flash other Pcars, smile, and enjoy the ride ...... hey, now that's livin' the good life!

Cheers guys/girls, all the best!

Last edited by eqs; 05-07-2008 at 10:37 AM.
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote