View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #37
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Lots of reasons.

I wanted a joyride. My kids were all off to college so no need to drive a minivan/suv/familymobile anymore. I drive a pickup truck for work (boring). I had a Porsche GT "Dan Gurney" slot car as a kid. The last time I owned a true sports car was in college 1975. I just sold off a portion of my business so after paying the taxes and paying off some debts I still had a nice pile of cash in the bank. Time for a special gift to myself .

At first I thought I would just pick out a nice 996TT, Saleen Mustang, or a Vette. After driving each of them I refocused a little. They all had tons of HP and torque, went 180+, looked good, but I figured I would rarely get them out of 2nd gear. I don't street race. Too much car, not enough fun.

Next I looked at classics like the 911SC, Ferrari 308GTS, and the Beck 550 Spyder replica. Great cars, lots of tinkering required, no modern conveniences. Nope, not yet.

Then I started looking at Boxsters. The more I read about them and drove them, the more I liked them. They looked great right off the lot, sounded great, plenty fast enough for me, extraordinary handling and balance, and modern conveniences like air conditioning, airbags, computer controlled fuel injection, rev limiter etc. A great modern roadster at a very reasonable price. By far the most fun car I drove out of all the others. Sold! I paid cash for the car, invested some of my leftover $$, and donated a good chunk to charity. I have been grinning ever since.