Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #1

Average age of boxster owners??

Not sure if this was asked before, but where I live (in the chicago suburb area), I have seen probably 5-6 boxster 986, and like 2-3 987 models, and they are usually driven by really old guys...usually in their 50's and 60's, white haired fat guys lol.

What's the average age of boxster drivers on this forum? I am assuming a younger age, because seems people here like to modify their 986's and improve performance.

BTW, I'm only 29, and my previous cars are (ahem...kinda embarrased to admit), an oldsmobile in high school, then a camry, then an Acura RSX.

maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
alpine headunit in custom center console
red/clear LED tail lights
mchi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #2

Gee, I drive a Boxster S in the Chicago northern suburbs, I'm 52 years old and have a bit of grey hair, but I don't consider myself too fat. Guess he's talking about me.

I drive my 911 at track events and will be coaching tomorrow at the Chicago PCA Autocross school, whilst my 17 year old son drives the Boxster. My cars are nicely modified and I enjoy working on them, when time permits. Perhaps the older driver has more disposable income than most the kids?

By the way, my previous cars have been countless 911s, 964s; turbos and such. Never owned an Oldsmobile, though.

Last edited by jmatta; 04-26-2008 at 02:20 PM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #3

Listen sunshine, I may be 50 with some grey hair but i'm far from being really old/white hair or fat. Any given day you'll find me dealling with 23 1500 lb -/+ horses. Follow me around and we'll see who's old..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchi5
Not sure if this was asked before, but where I live (in the chicago suburb area), I have seen probably 5-6 boxster 986, and like 2-3 987 models, and they are usually driven by really old guys...usually in their 50's and 60's, white haired fat guys lol.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #4

wow guess i offended some people. sorry I didn't mean to. Just from what I've seen driving boxsters around where I live. the people who I see in 911's usually are in the mid 30-40 yr olds.

jmatta, good thing you never owned an oldsmobile before. It is such a piece of crap. makes me appreciate porsches more. can't wait till I get either a slightly used 911 turbo in a few years
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
Old 04-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #5

mchi5,

I'm not offended, I just had to laugh because you were probably describing me. My buddy (who is also in his fifties and very grey) bought his Boxster S after driving mine. I get great satisfaction out of taking younger drivers out at the track and teaching them how to drive thier cars (I've been a PCA instructor for close to 10 years).

See you at the Blackhawk novice event May 7th or do you have to work?

Last edited by jmatta; 04-26-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
mchi5,

See you at the Blackhawk novice event May 7th or do you have to work?
I may be working that day, gotta check my schedule. may be on night shifts

but my wife and I really wanna start going. she's itching to take her eclipse out on the track too (it's so hot to find a giirl who ONLY drives manual, and loves cars too!!)
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
Old 04-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #7

Got my base box a week before i turned 39. That was a year and a half ago. My wife got her S model 4 months before she turned 39. That was about 10 months ago.

btw we're both in really good shape...no grey and no fat...thank you LA Fitness ; )
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
...they are usually driven by really old guys...usually in their 50's and 60's, white haired fat guys lol. ...
What could possibly be offensive about being called old, white-haired and fat...??? Makes you sound like the kinda guy Dale Carnegie would like to punch in the mouth!

Quote:
...I'm only 29...
It shows... reminds me of why, on the whole, I wouldn't want to be 29 again...

Quote:
...my previous cars are (ahem...kinda embarrased to admit), an oldsmobile in high school, then a camry, then an Acura RSX...
I'd be much more embarrased being linked to that stable of cars than to being called old, white-haired and fat !!

I was born in the year of Rock&Roll, have mostly gray hair now, and though while not at all fat, must admit I can no longer fit into my high school jeans.

The thing is, it'll all happen to you too friend (that is if you don't call the wrong guy old, fat and white-haired in the meantime - ). But you also have the double-whammy of that horrible history of previous cars - not sure the Boxster is gonna make up for that one...
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #9

I might be one of the youngest here on this forum . . .I'm only 24
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #10

I got my Boxster S in November 2007 when I was 23.

I'm now 24 but admit most guys I see driving the Boxster around town are kind of old!
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #11

I got my BoxS when I was 21. Now I am 23.

Lovin' it.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #12

Hi, I'm 57 now but don't feel that old or look that old or even act that old, though I must admit my sig pix has been retouched a bit. Driving the boxster has peeled off a lot of the old from me.
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #13

Yeah, I’m one of those “really old guys…”, 53. Got grey hair, thinning noticeably in back, but I’m still trim, with the reflexes of a 20 year-old (OK, 30 year-old) and the common sense learned in no small part by living those 53 years. I stay out of trouble faaaar more consistently than I did when I was half this age. And, yeah, gettin’ the Box has knocked a few years off me, too. I’m pretty happy with where I am. You just watch yer back, sonny.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #14

You can clearly see from my photo that my hair is not white...
Old 04-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #15

hello everyone i just found this great site today and just wanted to say i am probably one of the youngest with a boxster im 16 turning 17 in august and i really love this car and if your thinking this kids a spoiled brat well i am not, i started off with a 1996 Mercedes Benz that my dad got for me for christmas then i starting buying cars for cheap and flipping them and got around 15k saved up and got me a boxster!! i really love and the ladies do tooo
DrPorsche911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #16

Just got my Box a month ago, I turned 55 in January. Definitely have plenty of grey hairs, have not gone completely white yet.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #17

OK - I probably fit the profile - Gray, 50+, etc. When I drive down the street in my Boxster, I guess many think I'm mid-life crisising. But...

At 17, I owned a '66 289 Mustang Fastback as my DD, and a '62 Austin Healey 'Bug Eye' Sprite as my 'Fun' car.

At 20, I owned a '68 Camaro SS396 as my DD, and a '68 912 and a '68 Buick Gran Sport Stage I as my 'Fun' cars.

At 22, I owned a '68 Lincoln Continental Convertible as my DD, and a '63 E-Type and a '72 Dodge Charger SE R/T 440 Six Pack as my 'Fun' cars.

At 25, I owned a '72 BMW 320 I as my DD, and a '69 Lotus Elan SE as my 'Fun' car.

At 27, I owned an '80 Jaguar XJ-6 as my DD, and a '70 Datsun 240Z and a '70 Lotus Europa SE John Player Special as my 'Fun' cars.

At 30, I owned a BMW 636 CSI as my DD, and a '71 Ferrari Dino 246GTS and an '80 Porsche 930 Turbo as my 'Fun' cars.

At 35, I owned a Volvo 740I as my DD and an '85 Lotus Turbo Esprit and '83 Porsche 911SC as my 'Fun' cars. In addition, I acquired a '90 Euroswift Formula Ford for Racing.

At 38, I owned a '92 Corvette ZR1 as my DD, and a Ferrari 308GTS Quattrovalvole as my 'Fun' car.

At 40, I owned a '92 Lexus SC400 as my DD, and a '56 Austin Healey BN2 100M as my 'Fun' car.

At 45, I owned a '99 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 as my DD, and a '79 Maserati Bora as my 'Fun' Car which was replaced mid-year with my '99 Porsche Boxster. Sold the Formula Ford and bought a '90 Protoform Formula VEE racer.

Now, at 54, I own an '06 Jaguar S-Type Sport 4.0 as my DD, plus my '99 Boxster and Formula VEE as my 'Fun' cars.

So while people may see me drive by in my Boxster and type-cast me as a mid-life crisis, they have absolutely no idea how totally WRONG they are.

That's OK with me. I have always owned the cars I loved with no regard to what others may think...

PS - This probably belongs in the What cars have you owned thread, but I list it here to make a point.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-26-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:05 AM   #18

Just can't make up your mind WHAT to drive, can ya Lil Bastard?

...it's no wonder you've figured out a thing or two about cars!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I'd be much more embarrased being linked to that stable of cars than to being called old, white-haired and fat !!

I was born in the year of Rock&Roll, have mostly gray hair now, and though while not at all fat, must admit I can no longer fit into my high school jeans.

The thing is, it'll all happen to you too friend (that is if you don't call the wrong guy old, fat and white-haired in the meantime - ). But you also have the double-whammy of that horrible history of previous cars - not sure the Boxster is gonna make up for that one...
LOL, i'm really not too embarrased. the olds and camry were both hand-me-downs from my parents, and the acura rsx is a really fun little car that I got when I first graduated college (my first car I bought myself with my own money).

and my boxster is not trying to "make up for that one" of cars. hand-me-downs are just that...hand me downs. you don't have a choice of what cars you get. at 16 and to get a camry, I was the happiest teenager in high school...lol. most of my friends didn't even have their own cars at that time.

and lil bastard, glad you don't want to be 29 again. I don't mind it at all. I am a professional with a very respectable profession. and I've accomplished more with my life than most 40-50 yr olds out there.....
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs

Last edited by mchi5; 04-27-2008 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:17 AM   #20

Turned 48 last month. I think the reason why most Boxster drivers are in the 40+ range is that while the cars used are not too expensive, the maintenance can cost alot of money. Also, for many of us, our Boxsters are second cars. It generally takes a few years of work to reach a stage in your life where you can comfortably afford our Boxsters.

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote