Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #21

"Anyone try 100 octane and notice a difference? I know it's available at my local Delta Sonic ... but at $5+/gal I'm not quite that interested."

I tried some 100+ octane racing fuel once and it sure seemed to make the car quicker. Of course I realize that is a completely subjective assessment. As I recall, the ECU tuning that I had done to my car was optimized for 91-93 octane, and I think the tuner said that any higher octane fuel should not make any difference, but my little Boxster sure seemed to hum with the high octane fuel.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #22

I hit the $50 to fill up mark last week after running the tank lower than usual. I had been running at about $45 previously.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #23

In CA Costco sells gas for about 25cent less than stations like Chevron etc.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #24
Ray

The Boxster engine is designed to take a higher octane ... it has a higher compression. I use Sunoco 94
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #25

I use Chevron or Shell.
I prefer Chevron but there are more Shells around here.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #26

Garage
Here in Phoenix the highest Octane we can get is 91. A few stations sell some 105 racing, but I have read many forums that say to stay away from that stuff for the Boxster. I use Chevron Premium about 80 percent of the time and QT the other
18% (2% of the time is from Costco or some other station only when I am forced to)
When I first bought the Boxster, I asked my service tech at Porsche what she would recommend for fuel. she pretty much said 93 octane Chevron is ideal, but because we can get only get 91 max octane here in Arizona, that it what I use. She is also
the one who told me about a study of all the big German motor companies, Porsche,
BMW, Mercedes who tested different fuels for their consistency and performance and QT was right up there with Chevron. Nice thing about QT is that their prices are close to Costco prices.

The other thing, someone once told me to avoid filling up at a station that is
getting their new gas pumped into their storage tanks because it causes any sediment in the storage tanks to get stirred up and possibly can shorten the
life of your fuel filter. Not sure how true this is, I would think that the stations
have several filters in place, but if I do pull into a station and they are getting
fresh fuel pumped in, I drive right out and go to another or I wait and come back the next day. I never let my boxster get below 1/4 tank.

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #27

I believe a lot of the race gas is leaded, which is why you want to stay away from it. The lead will definitely screw up your O2 sensors and I believe your cats too.

I just buy what's cheap. Once in a while I run my tank low and then fill up with Shell V-Power California 91 Octane Piss Water Gas. I figure with all the fancy detergents and injector cleaners in the expensive gas a tankful now and then will help keep me humming along. Never used Chevron around here as it's the most expensive...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfra
OK Adam - how are figuring your lower octane makes your car happier? That is flying the face of what Porsche says to do of course, which I'm sure you know. The engine will compensate to a degree for lower octane but that limit is around 96 octane. Are you checking your spark plugs, studying your emissions on a hydrocarbon reader...? Obviously we'd all like to run lower octane and save some money, but if that puppy is pinging it means significant damage to the engine is happening. One of the easiest ways to begin such a process is to look at your plugs running premium and see if they are wet and carbonized.
I was just kidding. I use nothing but 93 octane for my baby. My mazda 3 on the other hand gets the the cheapest gas I can find.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #29

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Chevron, Mobile or 76, 91 (best we got) octane in that order.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #30

I luck out. The HESS station three blocks from home has the lowest prices within an hour's drive. I haven't paid more than $3.20 for 93 ever.
I can't believe that's supposed to be a good thing.

Which reminds me time to buy some more stocks in those companies sitting on a five year high of supply yet them prices aint coming down!
I guess they make more money at higher prices on lower volume than higher volume at lower prices.
Great for them bad for the overall economy as the price to ship food, jeans and toilet paper brings on inflation.

p.s.
And in 50K miles me BoxsterS has never once tasted anything less than 93.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eighty6
I'm a Sunoco 93/94 octane kind of guy unless I'm on some sort of long trip. Then it's whatevers clever ...

Anyone try 100 octane and notice a difference? I know it's available at my local Delta Sonic ... but at $5+/gal I'm not quite that interested.
Thanks for all of your responses I would try the 100 octane if I could, if not just to see the difference, if any
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #32

As long as I have owned the car, I've put 93 octane into it. I almost always fill up at exxon or shell but sometimes will use Kangaroo.

For my civic, I put the cheapest crap I can find into it
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #33
eqs

Chevron Highest test which is 94. They have 87, 89, 92 (grouped together) and 94 (which is separate).

Recommended is 93 for the 987S. Always use 93 or higher. Don't skimp, it's not worth it.

Cheers
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 AM   #34

I use Chevron 91, I've never seen 94 at any of the Chevrons where I live (San Jose). Where do they have 94?
Old 04-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #35

I always fill-up at 76. The 91 octane (best we can get in the west) is $4.09 right now. I've been getting 28-29 mpg on the freeway in my 2.7.
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #36

It's $4.13 a gallon now...ugh.
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
$55/tank.

I always use 91 Chevron. I've tried 91 76 when I was super low one gas a couple of times. I noticed no difference.

I don't get it,why are some folks running cheap gas in their sports car? You want something that runs good on cheap gas? Go get a Civic or scooter. DON'T BE CHEAP ON YOUR FUEL if you want your car to last you many many years.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 AM   #38

I went out to VIR last weekend to see the races and filled up with 100 octane lead-free race fuel they have at the track. Quite an experience just filling up. At 7.50 a gallon, I maxed my credit card charge for the fuel at 75.00 for the first 10 gallons, and there were still 5 more to go!

The car seems to sound different with the 100 octane, both at startup and when driving. For example, I think it's gurgleing more than normal when slowing down. Its hard to tell with my butt dyno if it is making much of a difference. Seems to run faster at higher rpms, but if it is, it is not a day and night difference. Interesting experiment, but I think its expensive to try again,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #39

91 octane / 13.813 gal / $3.499 per gal / $48.33 at Costco yesterday.

265.5 miles => 19.2 mpg

I figure I could get another 2 mpg if I didn't hit 90+ mph coming and going on my commute every day
Old 04-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #40

Send a message via Yahoo to bermuditis
I hope you guys realize that the gas stations you are going to are not getting their gas from the same people all the time. They source the cheapest gas available to them from many different sources. In the end it all ends up the same really. It's more about who's got less crud coming through their lines.