Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Bry

'00 Boxster: No radio power / accessory power

Hi all, new owner of a gorgeous 2000 Boxster in alpine silver. Love the car, but have a question regarding some trouble that has cropped up.
The stereo is not powering on at all... I am not certain if I had ever heard it on the test drive (I usually try to test everything, but this is a low priority), but I would like it working even if I never turn it on. The important thing (to me) is the accessory power for the cigarette lighter does not seem to be working either. This I need occasionally for work to use my GPS... Now, I am using this as an excuse to upgrade the GPS to a newer battery powered unit, but do want this going as well.
I tried looking through the fuses listed for these items under the dash, but they are not blown out. Could someone suggest an alternate means of power loss in these 2 items? I suspect they are related, but I am not positive if I had tested them pre-purchase. I would prefer to take care of this myself, but I do have a warranty for such problems available and need to bring the car in anyway - the passenger side wiper went out last week (my first week of ownership) during a heavy rainstorm... Plus, I may as well have the OBC enabled

Again, hello to everyone & I welcome any and all suggestions!

Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #2

There is also a fuse at the back of the radio. That does not explain the cigarette lighter problem. You'll need radio "keys' to remove the radio and check the fuse.

Search on the term "ignition switch". I've seen some posts from folks who have electrial problems linked to the ignition. I have not experineced this myself, but it is somehting of a weak link.

Good luck.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote