Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #21

HJKIM550 -- 'm happy to answer the question about the buffer (with apologies to Nick Cats for getting off topic in his thread...)

I'm not sure it matters much, there are a lot of good options out there. Three main criteria:

1. (Think Tim the Tool-man Taylor )"MORE POWER...grunt, grunt, grunt"
2. "Random orbit". This is what makes it safe to use. DO NOT get a rotary buffer that spins in-line and risks damage to your paint. Those are for the experts only.
3. Variable speeds are important too. You'll spread at a lower speed & buff at a higher speed.

Most folks like the Porter Cable. They make a dedicated automotive buffer. I also hear positive things about the Griot's unit. I actually use a Bosch. I bought it to refinish some things in my house, but its has all the important features -- random orbit, adjustible speed, and very high power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjkim550
I know this is kind of off and on the subject, but which random orbit polisher would you recommend for me to buy? I have seen some posts on this subject but I would like some info on personal experience. I am not looking for the cheapest but the most reliable and high quality polisher.

(My wife will laugh her A$$ off when I proudly display my new polisher and detailing products).... yup, I have contracted the dreaded disease from you guys.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #22

Order has been placed :

Nick

Z-6 $9.95

Total $9.95

Bill

Z-7 $8.95
Z-5 $16.95

Total $25.90

Super

Z-2 $14.95
Z-6 $9.95
Z-5 $16.95

Total $41.85

Eric

Z-3 $14.95
Z-5 $16.95
Z-6 $9.95
Z-7 $8.95

Total $50.80

Djomlas

Z-2 $14.95

Total $14.95

Hyung

Z-18 $16.95
Z-2 $14.95
Z-6 $9.95
Z-7 $8.95

Total $50.80

Sub Total $194.25

Shipping $8.95

Grand Total $203.20

Order will be here next week. I'll let you guys know when it comes in and we can make arrangements to meet and get your product.

I will be at the Autocross in Maywood on Sunday the 20th if anyone would like to meet me there :

http://www.scscc.net/maywood.html

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #23

Hey Perfectlap

Quote:

"I'll send you a PM from someone who asked a similar question recently.

I do change products often! Unless I'm really blown away by a certain product I will usually try a different product line when it comes time to reorder."

Posted by Perfectlap.

As a PL detailing disciple for a couple of years now, I'd love to have a copy of that PM as well, if you don't mind. You using the whole Duragloss line these days, or just selected members of it? You swearin' off Jeffs Werkstatt Prime, Menzerna, etc?

What I'm doing these days is (following a thorough washing): 1) clay bar, w/ dilute ONR detailing spray; 2) Meg's paint cleanser; 3) 3-M Imperial Hand Glaze (not sure both of these steps are necessary, but it's working well for me); 4) S100 carnauba wax (looks wonderful on seal grey); 5) FK1 425 bubble gum top off coating.

Between the full detailings, I do the quick ONR solution detailing (assuming most of the foreign matter on the car is just dust and little else), followed by either: 1) Jeffs Werkstatt Carnauba Jett, OR 2) Duragloss Aquawax. I LOVE the smell of the Duragloss. (I walk out into the garage a couple hours later...and smell what can best be described as COCONUTS. It's great.) Whichever is used (if I still have any energy left) I try to follow-up with the FK1 425.

I do have the PC 7424, and have used it on my Camry and the wife's van. Amazingly I have yet to use it on the Boxster. It's not that I'm not comfortable using it (really is pretty fool proof). I'm just really hard-pressed to find ANY swirls on the Box, even with good lighting. (At least in part, I may have you PL to thank for that.) Really HAVE to try it on the Box eventually---it's just hard to imagine the car's finish looking any better than it does just doing what I've been doing. (That, in addition to my aching back saying "No. No!" everytime I think about breaking out the PC.)

As I say, this has been working well for me, with the seal grey. And it seems to last very well for me, hence I've not yet been inclined to switch to the longer-lasting sealants. My ride, while I try to drive it most everyday when the weather cooperates, tends not to be overly exposed to the elements. She's garaged, and (when I drive her to work) parked where it's mostly shady. While I'm not that inhibited about driving in the rain, it doesn't happen that often. If it looks like rain, I take the Camry.

FWIW...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Nick,
thx for the order, i was too lazy to even get myself to order heheh
i will most likely get it off you at the autocross on the 20th.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjkim550
My wife will laugh her A$$ off when I proudly display my new polisher and detailing products
Repeat after me: "Sorry Honey, wish I could, but this is a precision automotive product and can't clean _____ (windows / flooring / carpet / tubs)."
Old 04-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #26

LOL
You should be charging money! You Boxster is definitely putting mine to shame. I had a wipe out down some icy stairs in Feb. and I'm now finally back to standing up right, plus 15 pounds! It was nearly 70 degrees up here yesterday so maybe I'll test the waters.

I'm still swearing by the Werkstatt Prime (Strong). Its great on the Carrera wheels too, strips all that crap right off and leaves a really deep shine. I almost feel bad putting anything over it. The shine is that good. But its abrasive so not a good idea to use it more than a few times a year.

I haven't de-swirled in over a year so I will have to put in an order of the Menzerna. I ran out of the Duragloss Aqua Wax but I noticed there is a NAPA store nearby so I'll see if they have it. Can't beat a BIG bottle of high grade quick detailer for $8. The only issue is that sometimes it doesn't mix well when you use it imediately after washing with ONR.

But ONR and FK1 425 is still my favorite tandem. Sooo little effort to keep the car looking just waxed all the time.

p.s.
Quit using that ONR for clay barring! Diluted car wash soap in spray bottle will work just as well for a fraction of the cost. That ONR aint cheap! I usually clay the car during a full bucket and hose wash, while the suds are still on the car. Then I wash again to clear the remnants.

p.s.s.
For you Zaino guys check out this link for towels. These guys have great prices for bulk orders on towels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Quote:

"I'll send you a PM from someone who asked a similar question recently.

I do change products often! Unless I'm really blown away by a certain product I will usually try a different product line when it comes time to reorder."

Posted by Perfectlap.

As a PL detailing disciple for a couple of years now, I'd love to have a copy of that PM as well, if you don't mind. You using the whole Duragloss line these days, or just selected members of it? You swearin' off Jeffs Werkstatt Prime, Menzerna, etc?

What I'm doing these days is (following a thorough washing): 1) clay bar, w/ dilute ONR detailing spray; 2) Meg's paint cleanser; 3) 3-M Imperial Hand Glaze (not sure both of these steps are necessary, but it's working well for me); 4) S100 carnauba wax (looks wonderful on seal grey); 5) FK1 425 bubble gum top off coating.

Between the full detailings, I do the quick ONR solution detailing (assuming most of the foreign matter on the car is just dust and little else), followed by either: 1) Jeffs Werkstatt Carnauba Jett, OR 2) Duragloss Aquawax. I LOVE the smell of the Duragloss. (I walk out into the garage a couple hours later...and smell what can best be described as COCONUTS. It's great.) Whichever is used (if I still have any energy left) I try to follow-up with the FK1 425.

I do have the PC 7424, and have used it on my Camry and the wife's van. Amazingly I have yet to use it on the Boxster. It's not that I'm not comfortable using it (really is pretty fool proof). I'm just really hard-pressed to find ANY swirls on the Box, even with good lighting. (At least in part, I may have you PL to thank for that.) Really HAVE to try it on the Box eventually---it's just hard to imagine the car's finish looking any better than it does just doing what I've been doing. (That, in addition to my aching back saying "No. No!" everytime I think about breaking out the PC.)

As I say, this has been working well for me, with the seal grey. And it seems to last very well for me, hence I've not yet been inclined to switch to the longer-lasting sealants. My ride, while I try to drive it most everyday when the weather cooperates, tends not to be overly exposed to the elements. She's garaged, and (when I drive her to work) parked where it's mostly shady. While I'm not that inhibited about driving in the rain, it doesn't happen that often. If it looks like rain, I take the Camry.

FWIW...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-11-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #27

Shipment should be here on Tuesday :

http://wwwapps.ups.com/ietracking/tracking.cgi?tracknum=1Z7X27250362226605%20%20&IATA=us&Lang=eng

By the way, I bought my car two years ago today !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
sweet, 16lbs of proven shine coming our way.

Nick, what u doing for that anniversary, its a nice day, so at least wash that beast.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #29

Talking just in the nick of time....my car arrives tonight!!!

Im just pissing myself right now...after over a month of obsessing, planning, reading, ordering stuff (even though I dont have the car! Rims, tires, stereo, Zaino), it will finally be here!!!

1.5 hours to go.....
windbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #30

Congratulations, Winbar ! Try not to sleep in the garage tonight when you bring the car home ( I did )

Package arrived today. Djomlas & Hyung, I'll see you guys Sunday, but if you want to pick up your stuff sooner, shoot me a PM.

Bill, Super, Eric, I work in Hoffman Estates and live in Lake in the Hills. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #31

Cool hells yes!

Its here...its sweet...its perfectly clean (except for some small scuffs on the lower, front, passenger side bumper) and its MINE!

I may have to "work (i.e. play hooky and drive)" on Friday, maybe Ill swing out to Hoffman Estates on a little cruise
Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #32

chicago menchanics?

hey Chicago crew - any recommendations for a good mechanic, other than Eurosport on Bensenville? I want to get the 15K check up but want someone solid that I can develop a relationship with. Also is it worth the $800 to have it done?

I just desnorkeled the car....WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS. Maybe my expectaions were too high, but I didnt notice too much of a sound difference. However, I only started it back up again and havent driven it; maybe the sound is from actual driving? Ill find out later...
Old 04-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #33

hey windbar, I heard the difference in desnorkle is when you are driving...so maybe it will kick in...

also I consdered eurosport for some break work, any reason you want to stay away from them? just curious
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #34

not at all...

I just wanted input from those in the know. They look like a legit place, so Id like to go there, but I want to make sure they are reasonable/fair, trustworthy and competent.

Is spending 800 worth it? Im leaning to yes since the person I got the car from, never did much outside of having the oil changed.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #35

Hey Windbar,

Newbie here but I thought I would give you my two cents. If you look at my other posts, I had a very positive experience with Eurosport. The three local Porsche dealers quoted me $800-$1200 dollars for the 30 K check up.

Eurosport was fast and professional and ended up charging me a total of $375 dollars for the work they did for the 30K check up.

My friend who races Ducatis and his 944 Porsche turbo recommended me to them.

Hey Nick,

I will see you on Sunday at the Autocross. Congrats on your 2nd anniversary...
Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #36

Bumpity bump, come get your stuff

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #37

Bill - Gimme a call

Z-7 $8.95
Z-5 $16.95