Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
New Glass Window Top - Rear Defrost Switch?

Hey Guys,

So I just placed my order for a new top from TopsOnline. I got the retro fit one with the A5 Canvas and the glass window. It comes with a rear defroster kit and I'm not sure how that works. Has anyone installed one of these Robbins tops with Glass and a defroster kit. How do you operate the rear defrost? Does it just turn on when the front defrost turns on or do I need to replace a blank switch on my center console and install a defrost switch? If that's the case where can I find a defrost switch?(one with the little defrost icon on it). I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I have the top installed.

Cool. Thanks.

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Hey Tim, congrats on the new top. Glass rules.

If you have the right model-year Box you'll have a defroster plug right behind your driver's seat. Its a little black box with a lid that pulls up. Just plug the harness in there.

To operate the rear defroster just turn on the side-mirror defroster. The switch operates both.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #3

sweet! thanks!
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
Old 03-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #4

I would love to hear back on how the install goes and whether you run into any issues with the glass. The one thing I dislike on my car is having to get out and chop the plastic window when lowering the roof.

That plug for the defroster should be on most if not all cars. It is where you would plug the defroster for the hardtop option.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage

Last edited by steve00s; 03-31-2008 at 02:05 PM.
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #5

I recently had the canvas top from topsonline.com installed. I had an issue with the top not securing behind the plastic frame above the window when the top is put in the closed position. Make sure your installer understands this is a known issue for your top, made by Robbins.

After I noticed the issue I contacted Robbins and they were able to clue the installer into posible fixes ans it was taken care of.

Overall the top is great although I do have to crunch down a bit to see direct out the back window. As for the defroster as long as your intaller plugs it in and you have the switch you are good to go.

Jeff
beersnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #6

Just got my car back from the shop with my new retro fit glass window top! Looks great! You're right the window does feel a little lowwhen looking through the rear view mirror. The shop said that there was evidence that the top had already been replaced once. Probably right before I bought it.

So does everyone agree that RaggTopp protectant is the best thing to use to protect the German A5 canvas?

Also, for anyone who's had their top replaced how long did you wait before putting the top down? The Robbins guidelines said a week. The shop told me play it safe and go two weeks to let the canvas stretch.

Another thing the Robbins guidelines said was that tinting the window could lead to the window shattering. Maybe something to do with the defroster kit? Has anyone with a glass window had theirs tinted and if so have you had any issues with it? I was really looking forward to getting my windows tinted. Texas summer is rolling around.