Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #61

I have dial-up so I won't be able to download at this time, but I have no reason to doubt what you say. The Lotus is an extremely capable car in the twisties.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Adam, maybe you're right. If you have the time to download this 36 mb file, it's fun to watch the Lotus catch up with the Vette on the Nurburgring in the twisties and lose it's gain the second it flattens out...

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/Nurburgring_movies/Lotus_vs_Vette.mpg
Awesome video man. Reminds me of Gran Turismo 4. I posted it up on another forum, I hope it doesn't mess with your bandwidth.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Last edited by Porschekid; 04-07-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #63

Being a VW is what I like about VW's. The only negative to my Boxster is the turned heads and name. You can buy an incredible car from VW and keep a low profile, not have people think diffrent about you. I really like that car.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:12 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
People who buy big name cars like Ferrari , Porsche, or Astin are trying to project an image. Usually that image is meant to say "hey I'm successful and I have money."
Be careful, not everyone who bucks up for a car like that has image in mind. When you buy a Ferrari you get a singular purpose in design and the richest automotive and racing tradition of any marque anywhere period. To certain extent Porsche is similar, and it's a main factor in me deciding to go with a Boxster over its competitors. Aston Martin's history, althouh clouded a bit in the 80s, is also rich in sports car competition history and as of late they are doing a fantastic job reviving that tradition. They also have some of the sexiest styling around these days.

Some, ok a lot, of people do buy these marques to project the image that they have money, while others actually appreciate the cars enough to deserve them.

Some day, there will be a Ferrari in my garage. Doesn't matter if it's a new 575 Superamerica or a 308GTSi. And it's got nothing to do with people thinking I have money. Because we all know that after buying a Ferrari I won't have any money any more
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:36 AM   #65

HAHA! Thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 06:26 AM   #66

PorscheKid:

It ain't my bandwidth anyway. It's on one of my web sites hosted in a buddy's garage. Now he might email me or call me and ask me what the heck I've done, but it ain't slowing me down any!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:29 AM   #67

I never set out to buy a porsche. I just wanted a nice drop-top. I looked at the american cars and none of them floated my boat. Miata felt too much like a sardine can, especially since I am 6'1". The Audi looked like someone had slightly squashed a VW beetle, plus I was not enamoured with the interior. I just plain didn't like the styling of either the Z3, Z4 or S2000. The MR2 was tiny and had no storage space (my girlfriend asked the salesman where she would put her bag if we went on a weekend road trip; he said to remove the spare). But when I saw the boxster I fell in love. Beautiful and distinctive styling, great performance, auto drop top, comfy, if sparse, interior, TWO trunks. And, surprisingly, it was within my budget, albeit for a used 2000S. It had nothng to do with the name of the car or the image I was trying to project. It had everything to do with the car itself. It is now my daily driver. Some might call me a "poser" because I don't track or ac the car (although one of these days I am going to do a de at sebring). But I don't care what they think because I bought this car for ME.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #68

Talking

I don't get all these "rules" that guys have on these cars, ie being a poser.

If I want to track my car, fine. If not, fine. I bought the car, not YOU (them). If YOU want to take your car to the track, fine, I am fine with that too!

When I am driving a 911 Turbo, it doesn't mean ANYTHING about me, just that I am having fun!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:58 AM   #69

Rich,

I never understood the "poser" argument either. It's as if they are saying that some people are less deserving of the car than others, or that they don't appreciate the car. Well, everyone appreciates their car for their own personal reasons. I mean, do we call people "posers" for buying Air Jordans even though they couldn't sink a basket if their life depended on it? Maybe they bought the shoes because they were comfortable. Why is it so different with a porsche?

ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote