Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 AM   #1

Zeintop arrived. See it in Dayton OH Sat 5 Jan @ 10am

All,
I haven't been posting here much, but I have received the first zeintop on the east coast for my 01 986. I actually got the top about a month ago but due to work and the holidays I did not have much time to sit down and write about it.

To get to the point, it looks amazing and the US Zeintec rep is fantastic to work with. The quality of the top is extremely good and the paint match was perfect. I'm very happy with the product even though it is quite costly. I constantly have people comment on it and friends/coworkers keep asking me if I got a new car.

Product details: http://www.zeintec-usa.com/index.html

If you want to come check it out and are in the Southern OH area, I'll be at the following Starbucks on Sat 5 Jan. This location is near the Quaker Steak & Lube location in Dayton. I figure I'll show up about 10am and hang out for a while to let anyone who has been wanting to see one of these get a look.

3800 Colonel Glenn Highway
Fairborn, OH 45324
937-320-9258

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions. I'll post pics as soon as I take them. I'm not affiliated with zeintech in any way other than being a customer.

Pat

Pat S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Wow! That looks amazing. The engineering looks spot on and design fits right in and even enhances the look of the 986. I like it sooo much more than the standard Porsche hardtop. If only I had $5000 to spend on it
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #3

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics!

I've been playing with the idea of a HT for mine (01), as I have a split in the screen near the stitching and a seems a waste to spend the cash on replacing the whole top just for that, especially when it's not really an issue in the summer, so was looking for a HT for the winter months.

I don't think the cost is too much of an issue when you compare it to the cost of the butt ugly OEM Porsche HT.

How easy was it to fit?
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am interested to see some pictures. Also, the factory top is not ugly when they can be had for $900 vs. $5k.

Also, wouldn't you say the Zientop is being a, "poser."
Old 01-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #5

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your top. I'd love to see it in person, but you are a bit distant. (By the way, when did Ohio move to the East Coast? Did I miss a tectonic plate shift?)

Please keep us all posted regarding your experiences in every day use as well as with installation and removal.

From certain angles, the factory hard top is quite attractive. If price were not an issue, I would consider a Zeintop. For now, I'm pleased with the factory hard top. I don't want to sound like "sour grapes". Maybe I'll be able to pick up a used Zeintop in a few years.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #6

Pat,

This is simply amazing that you would offer to show off your top now. I have been very interested in the Zeintec top and would love to see it on your car. I'm from Northern California and just happen to be visiting my folks for the holidays in Yellow Springs, OH, just 10 minutes from you. Unfortunately I've got to take my kids back to my ex in Indianapolis this Saturday morning though! So I'm going to miss you at Starbucks.

Would you be interested in maybe hooking up for dinner Saturday night or coffee Sunday morning? I'd buy you dinner/coffee if you'll bring the car to show off and we can chat about Boxsters.

Kirk
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #7

Looks really good, actually! If it didn't require you to remove your stock hatch and parts of the convertible top mechanism it'd be very interesting. As it stands, this ends up being a "conversion" rather than a "hard top" and that doesn't really interest me.

Also, their "Zeinvent" product really cheapens their company. Talk about ugly and cheesy!

http://www.zeintec-usa.com/Zeinvent.htm
Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #8

Can you post some pictures of your car with the top?

I like the concept a lot -- but I find the Zeintop web site to be difficult to navigate. My dial-up line (kidding) doesn't agree with the PDF where they have their pictures.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
For the most part I like the way the Zientop looks but the picture of it on the ZienVent page is disgusting looking.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #10

I'll try to get some pics as soon as I can wash it. I drove from VA to OH and it has been a messy week so its covered in dirt and salt right now.

For those more east than OH I actually live in Northern VA, so I'll try to set up another meeting later this month out there.

Pat
Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #11

$5000?

I will concede that this is the same angle in which the factory Boxster hard top looks less desirable.

I agree with the hard top vs. conversion comment. It really does seem like a minor feat to install that thing.

Check out the install instructions.
http://www.zeintec-usa.com/FAQ.htm#Q7
Remove the clam shell's 6 bolts, remove the trunk lid's 4 bolts, add 100 pound top, wire up the new brake light. The web site estimates it as a 2 hour job.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #12

I just checked out the gallery section of the website. The more I look at it, the more I like it. It totally upgrades the look of a boxster. It is expensive but it is like getting a new car. Also, you'll probably be able to recover quite a bit of the cost when you sell it a few years later.
ichiro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #13

I like the looks but agree that the attachment is more than you would want to do every couple of days... Living in NJ I would find it a nice addition for the late Fall and late winter/early Spring driving season where I could leave it on for a few months at a time. I don't drive it in the winter with all the salt that is used here but will consider for the cold Fall and Spring months. I plan to keep the Boxster til I die so I'll get alot of use out of it. I'm tempted...

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #14

Dirty pics from playing in the snow yesterday...

Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #15

Very nice.
Chris_Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Porscheectomy

Can you get an pictures of the inside? What does the transition from the headliner to painted section look like? How's the noise level?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #17

Wow Pat, that looks absolutely amazing! I can't believe how well they pulled this off. Congrats!

I agree--I want to see interior shots. What does the headliner look like? And how's the NVH?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #18

PAT - Also, can you tell us more about how practical the top is? How is visibility compared to the softtop (which isn't great).

Does the slope of the rear windsheild shed water? Does the top need a power rear window wiper? Did it get all dirty (reduced visibility) driving in the snow & salt?

How did the install go? Any worries about potential damage to your paint?

Rattles? Creaks? Windnoise?

Thanks again for the great pictures. These are the best pictures I've seen yet of the top. Congrats!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #19

And if you're taking orders, show us a pic with the hatch open please.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #20

And a babe! In a bikini!! Looking really cold!!!