Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #21
boggtown

What??? Everyone doesnt have 4 brake pedals?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #22
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I haven't got PSM, and from my point of view it would probably help driving in rain and snow. But considering the fact that cars didn't have any sort of traction control until a few years ago, it does not make a huge difference. I enjoy my spirited driving without the PSM, and in conditions when it might help me from spinning off the road, I'll just slow down. It is no big deal, just tame your driving to fit the road conditions. And in response to boxsterz, what your getting at is that PSM boxsters can go faster on twisty roads and in poor road conditions. But who cares about speeding up the mountain in the snow, or speeding up on an average day. Unless your racing someone it doesn't matter and if you were racing you probably would be professional enough to turn the PSM off.
[/QUOTE]

FYI most "professional" drivers and top level racing venues are deeply involved in stability control and dynamic steering. I care a great deal because that's where all the fun is . I understand that many box owners are like you, more sedate. However, for those more performance oriented drivers, PSM allows for deeper and more frequent probing of the limits. PSM gives you that edge because it allows you safer driving. Safer driving allows for MORE driving. And practice makes perfect. What I like to do is drive outside the PSM bubble. If I get into the PSM threshold then I probably went too far. I know I crossed the line.

I would like to point out -- Those that have no experience with PSM or do not have PSM equipped cars are the naysayers. Interestingly, you are mostly base owners. That says a lot. Who here WITH PSM would rather not have it in exhange for a few hundred dollars back? I don't think anyone. That really IS the group to key in on.
Truth be told, I find many of the objections to be base owners who really have no insight and are defending some kind of inferiority complex. Whatever the case maybe, a side by side test with a PSM car would be very revealing.

PSM is very sophiticated compared to your garden varienty stability control in other cars. It is universally lauded for it's unobstusiveness. And having driven one extensively, I'd have to agree with the automotive press. PSM gives you that confidence in finding those limits, where as you'd shy away without it. In the end, it depends on what kind of driver you are or want to be.

Last edited by boxsterz; 10-16-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #23
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Seems to be a theme that more experienced drivers don't need PSM and novice drivers do.

I couldn't disagree more. Let's keep in mind PSM can be turned off. So if you are an experienced track/autocross driver you can turn it off for your event then back on for normal driving.

At some point in your life you are going to be in a situation that requires split second reaction or a crash. In many of those cases even the most veteran driver will not be able to 'save' the car because you can only do so much. I can say that my traction system on my Touareg saved by butt last year on snow going down a hill and I am a very good driver.

Here is why. PSM can brake a single wheel to straighten a car that would otherwise spin. Unless you know something I don't, I'm pretty sure you can't brake just one wheel without it. Full brakes and countersteering aren't always effective.

To make a long story short PSM is nice to have as a tool that can help in emergency situations - regardless of your driving abilities. I think i saw some insurance stats that said traction control reduces accidents something like 100 times more effectively than anti-lock brakes.

BINGO! well put.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #24
Track rat

Garage
PSM is a wonderful little piece of modern technology. Like an IPOD or GPS it is just a a tool. A tool for safer driving. Can you live without it...yes you can. Is life better with it... yes it is. Like tire choices every driver must decide for themselves what is most important on their ride. My current car does not have PSM but my next one surely will.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #25
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Firstly, I resent being called a sedate driver.
Second, I agree that the people without PSM seem to be the one's saying it doesn't matter. If I had ordered my car from Porsche I would have spent the few extra bucks on PSM. It obviously makes a difference, and because I don't have it, I am viewing it as an advantage. Because if I ever get in a car without a traction control system, I'll now how to drive without relying on a computer chip.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #26

I believe PSM is standard on all Boxsters now.
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #27
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by kras
I believe PSM is standard on all Boxsters now.

Correct, PSM is standard on the 987.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #28
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Firstly, I resent being called a sedate driver.
Second, I agree that the people without PSM seem to be the one's saying it doesn't matter. If I had ordered my car from Porsche I would have spent the few extra bucks on PSM. It obviously makes a difference, and because I don't have it, I am viewing it as an advantage. Because if I ever get in a car without a traction control system, I'll now how to drive without relying on a computer chip.

K, maybe not sedate, um... how about more sane than I Thanks for your honesty with the second point. Refreshing. Lastly, I want to make clear the point about PSM doing all the driving. I do not use PSM for covering up my mistakes. Just the opposite, PSM allows me to expose my mistakes without having me pay dearly for them (wrecking).

In fact, every corner I find with enough run off room, I disable PSM, and fly solo. See if I can "beat" PSM. That's PSM's greatest feature, it's user defeatable (if you use the brakes it comes back on for that duration). PSM riding co-pilot is like Jackie Stewart riding shotgun, only better, because Jackie can't swap places with you instantaneously. PSM does just that. There when you need it, gone when you don't.

I consider myself a pretty good driver, and PSM has made me a better one. I really look forward to having PASM one day. For the record, if I could never switch off PSM, I wouldn't get it.

For everyone, don't knock it until you've tried it.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #29

+1 for the PSM camp. I can see an argument for an experienced driver opting to not have PSM on a dedicated track car, but for city driving, regardless of experience level, I think it is a different story.

When you are on the track, you are driving under very controlled conditions and giving 10/10ths attention to what you are doing. On the street, we do not have as much control over the road and traffic conditions. And let’s be honest, street driving is never done with 100% concentration for 100% of the time. I feel like I pay a lot more attention than the average driver, and I can think of at least three times that PSM has stepped in to help me out at times when I have needed it. Maybe I would have corrected and saved it, maybe I wouldn’t have. Regardless, I am thankful that my Porsche has this technology.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote