Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #1

Boxster top getting replaced on 20 Oct (pics of new top)

I'll be replacing my top on Saturday the 20th (next Saturday). Got the top in earlier this week.

Here's some pics of the Robbins glass window top unboxed: (this is the Space Gray color, it's darker than my current top, which is probably somewhat faded from exposure)

In the box:

All the paperwork, and the wrapped up top:

The cable for the defroster, and the strap for assisting 'service mode':

A good closeup of the canvas:

The top laid out:

The one side (inside) of the glass window:

The canvas feels pretty thin, but then it doesn't need to be really thick. The worksmanship looks great! I think this will definitely be a GREAT improvement on the appearance of my car.

I'll be documenting the process of replacing the top, to hopefully expand a little on the DIY that is on Mike Focke's page. Since my top has a headliner, I'll have to document it's removal and reinstallation during the process, to help out with 01 and 02 cars (since the 03s changed top design anyway).

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #2

Great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to show us everything. Please try to do this throughout the DIY job if you can and share with us all of the painful (hopefully not) lessons and steps. If you don't mind the question, how much did this replacement cost and how difficult do you think the job will be overall?

Thanks again!
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #3

Please do document the differences and

send them to me so we can augment the instructions with the "with headliner" additions.

Easiest way is text and instructions (Plug this in here. Insert this picture after item nn second paragraph, etc.)

mike dot focke at gmail

Much appreciated by the community. if we all share, we all profit.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #4

Mike, will definitely do. I'll have my laptop online down in the garage while I'm doing the work.

It'll be pretty easy to document it as I go. I'll take lots of pictures and send them all to you, and you can pick and choose which ones work the best. I'll also send them to you in full size, so the detail will be there.

Thanks for maintaining such a great resource for us Boxster enthusiasts! Hopefully the DIY and the additional information will help many Boxster owners in the future!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 10-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I have a gray GAHH glass top and it is by far the best mod done to my car. I love not worrying about plastic cracking and having an electric defroster.

I however didn't have the nerve to attempt the install myself. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the final pictures.

BTW, The Boxster on the instructions looks a lot like your car. I think that is a good omen!

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #6

DDB, yeah, the Boxster in the pics is the same color, and the top is the color of the top I got...

I think after I get the top installed (and get a job... I was laid off this week), I'm going to get the AutoTop controller, so I can do one-touch up and down. Not having to worry about the plastic window will make the AutoTop a little more enjoyable!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #7

headliner installation

You will need to transfer header strip from existing headliner. also, a long needle nose pliers to catch headliner clips at bottom of b pillar.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica
You will need to transfer header strip from existing headliner. also, a long needle nose pliers to catch headliner clips at bottom of b pillar.
I won't be replacing the headliner, I'll be reusing it, so I'll be detailing how to remove it in the process of removing the old top, and how to reinstall it when installing the new top. It doesn't look like it will add much complication at all to the process.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:15 AM   #9

you don't have to remove the headliner at all!!!!!
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica
you don't have to remove the headliner at all!!!!!

Sweet, if it doesn't have to come out in the process, that's definitely simple!

Old 10-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #11

Please keep us updated, I'll probably be replacing my top also. 2002 Base model. Where did you purchase the top from?
boxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstar
Please keep us updated, I'll probably be replacing my top also. 2002 Base model. Where did you purchase the top from?

Topsonline.com. $720 shipped for a glass window top with the wiring for the defroster. That's probably the best deal on a top I've seen. It's a Robbins top.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Topsonline.com. $720 shipped for a glass window top with the wiring for the defroster. That's probably the best deal on a top I've seen. It's a Robbins top.

DANG!! $720 shipped for a new top and glass and wires? That is an amazing deal! Heck, I can't wait for my top to get old and need replacing . This is going on the bookmark list for the future!
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
DANG!! $720 shipped for a new top and glass and wires? That is an amazing deal! Heck, I can't wait for my top to get old and need replacing . This is going on the bookmark list for the future!

Then after you put on a glass window top, and don't have to worry about doing 'the Chop(tm)' on the plastic window... get an AutoTop and enjoy one touch operation!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 AM   #15

Did you do it?

Fray, how did the top replacement turn out? Inquiring minds are dying to know...
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #16

I got the top installed this weekend. It was a heck of a job. I'll detail some experiences and advice for those who want to do their own top install:

- Removing the old top - Not very difficult at all. I had the old top off within 2 hours. PAY ATTENTION to where everything went! I got a little confused on the rear bow, but figured it out.

- the plastic 'slider' things in the B pillar... JUST BUY A NEW SET. About $40 for the full set from my dealer. The plastic gets brittle with age, and will most likely break in a couple places.

- Once the old top is off, and you're transplanting the aluminum plates to the new top: get some clamps, probably 6 to 10 of them. GLUE the top to the plates (on the side/strip that the screws go through) and use the clamps to hold it while it sets. Let the glue set for a few hours. You might also check into getting a small hole punch to punch the screw holes in the canvas, so it's easier to match up with the plates.

- On the Robbins top: There is no preparation on the front edge - it's just canvas. Once you have the side plates on the top, and the glue has set, you can put the top on the car. Stretch the front edge of the top over the front of the frame and glue it to the frame, and use your clamps to hold it.

- regular old double sided tape doesn't work very well at all. I couldn't find any automotive double sided tape, so I used Gorilla Glue, which holds well, and should be easy to separate later if need be.

Plan on a LONG day to do all of this. Let the glue set for a long time to make sure that it's firm. DON'T RUSH.

Make sure the back of the top is centered. I did not have it centered, and it started to bunch up on one side.

I don't have any pictures yet, as I got the top finished up yesterday evening, and the weather is CRAP today. It rained last night and this morning, and the top did not leak, which is a good thing!

I am going to take the car to an upholstery shop to have them refit it. I didn't quite get it right on the sides of the top frame... plus they can stretch it out for me. (the top is VERY TIGHT when you go to close it!)

Also, the glass window is VERY nice to have, it's very easy to see through compared to the old top with it's foggy mucked up plastic window. However, the top of the window sits about an inch lower than it would need to be to see very clearly out the back. This MIGHT be resolved with some stretching of the canvas, so we'll see!