Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 04:57 AM   #1

Low Octane Gas

I did something dumb (hopefully only moderately dumb). I gassed up my '99 Boxster yesterday. I wasn't thinking and said to the guy to fill it up with regular. Our Volvo and Isuzu Trooper take regular so I am more tuned to getting that as opposed to premium. I didn't catch my mistake until I went to pay and wondered why it seemed low. That's when I looked at the pump and realized I had asked for regular.

I am assuming that no great harm will come to the car. However, I want to be sure. Any thoughts?

NJkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
bmussatti

I think you will be fine. Just don't drive aggressively. And each day top-up with 93 octane.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

That won't be a problem. Your engine's knock sensor will retard the timing if it senses any detonation. No need to worry at all, no need to keep topping off your gas, no need to run lightly, no need to add any fuel additives. Your engine can completely compensate for the lower octane rating.

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-22-2007 at 01:37 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #4

I also made this "dumb" mistake almost two years ago. Other than being horrified when I realized what happened, this event went completely unnoticed.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #5

It shouldn't harm your engine, but you should avoid hard acceleration. Maybe just go buy a small bottle of Octane booster? Mix in enough to give the gas in the tank a high enough rating to compensate. In the least, that will give you some peace of mind!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote