Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #1

New Paint Job needed =(

Hey guys any recommendations my car got keyed deep on both sides; perks of living in San Francisco. Also I have lots of rock chips on my bumber and a "scuff" from a police officer that hit n ran on my car; again another perk of san francisco.

Should I do an insurance claim ? Ive never called to do one unless it was for a wrecked vehicle lol...

Or should I just take it some where and have it do if so any special/particular places to go or paint jobs to get ?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...IMG00612-1.jpg
ROMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #2

Well, if you want to paint the whole car, and get it done right, you're probably looking at around $5k for a GOOD point job (gotta remember the "Porsche tax"). You could probably find a shop to spray it for around $3k but it won't be perfect, so if you want it done right, find a paint shop that does classic/ more exotic cars and is willing to go the extra mile (at extra cost) so that it comes out right.

This would also be a good time to think about GT3 front bumper, side skirts, 03-04 rear bumper, etc.

The problem comes in when you factor in insurance. Your insurance company will not pay over and above what they consider normal book rate for the "right" shop to do the "right" job. Further, though you can claim this under your comprehensive deductible, it will go down as a mark against you in the insurance company's book. Depending upon what your deductible is, and whether you want to risk adding that negative mark to your insurance "tally" may require some thinking.

At the end of the day, if you want an OK paint job at roughly $3k and your deductible is $500, that may be worth it. If you do want it done right, and the bill winds up being roughly $5k, and say your deductible is $1k, they're only going to give you $2k toward your $5k bill and that may not be worth it. This also assumes they'll be willing to cover spraying the whole car due to the various separate incidents that caused all this damage. If they only authorize spraying certain body panels, this could all change, as some companies will consider each incident separate and require a separate deductible for each. If that deductible is $1000, you're really on your own.

I think I would first get estimates from shops around town to spray the car, look up your policy limits and deductible, talk to the insurance company, do some thinking, and decide from there.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #3

hi from san francisco also, i would definitely claim it with the insurance company.... this is a comprehensive case so all you have to do is pay for the deductible... there is no negative mark placed on your insurance in terms of your policy going up... that only occurs on collision cases in which you are at fault... it will show up as a claim but thats about it.... in california, you have the right to choose where you bring your car too have it repaired and the insurance will pay the claim... you can bring it to the dealer and have them respray it if you want and the insurance will pay for that as long as the shop documents cost.... my wifes bimmer got damaged and i brought it to the dealer too make sure they used the right paint and oem stuff....
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #4

Don't be fooled you can get a good job done for $3K. I've gotten quotes on my MR2 Turbo and they've all fallen in the 3K range. That's for the car to be basically dismantled (all glass, side markers and trim removed, along with spoilers and anything else that overlaps the sheet metal) stripped, primed and painted. That price doesn't include a rental car though as the entire process would take 4-6 weeks. The MR2 has many, many more body panels than the boxser so prep time for the boxer would be less. That price is for show room quality using PPG paint, no orange peel, and warrantee to me for as long as I own the car.

Shop around for a good paint shop. Go to the dealer and ask who they use as many dealerships farm out body work. That's what I've done, and ask to see their work. Any shop worth anything will be more than happy to walk you around and show you what you should expect. Let them know what you're after and make it clear you won't settle for substandard work. Also ask to make sure they offer a warrantee. Again, anyone who does good work will have no problem standing behind it. The warrantee they offer will tell you a lot about their work as well. Only one year? Walk. Lifetime as long as you own the car? That’s what you want to look for.
senna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Get it done at a dealership,possibly Stevens Creek Porsche or Porsche of Fremont,I've heard nothing but great things about them. Most dealerships will back their work if isn't done right so that a big plus. Say the paint starts peeling for whatever reason,do you think the mom-pop shop will be as willing to redo the work as the dealership will?

A complete paint job isn't something that's done everyday to any car, make sure it's done right.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #6

Don't be fooled you can get a good job done for $3K. I've gotten quotes on my MR2 Turbo and they've all fallen in the 3K range.

That's for a Toyota. Dealerships and Independent shops that work on Porsches charge more $$$/hour.

Let's be honest though,most high-end shops would charge way more then $3k to paint a car. Some shops charge $800 just to paint sides skirts and I was quoted at $1.2k to repaint my rear driver fender(I don't know if this is the right word).

Last edited by blinkwatt; 08-15-2007 at 11:29 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #7

Yeah, I would recommend making a claim on insurance. It is an act of vandalism when someone keys your car.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #8

any one know if insurance and/or porsche dealerships have an issue with replacing parts w/ aftermarket stuff?

need me a glass window on my top

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...IMG00612-1.jpg
ROMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMES
any one know if insurance and/or porsche dealerships have an issue with replacing parts w/ aftermarket stuff?

need me a glass window on my top
If the dealership has issues with replacing parts with aftermarket parts it's normally has to do with headers and such,were a CEL can potentially come on. They shouldn't' have an issue if you want to put on a glass top.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #10

Need a good company to repaint my Boxster

My 2001 Boxster has some rock chip damages on the bumper, hood and the sides (basically the entire front of the car). Any company you guys can recommend? I'm from the East Bay area in California, Fremont to be exact (please don't tell me to go to Oakland).

Thanks!
jcs012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #11

I just recently got my car re painted due to rock chips on the whole front and side of the car (2 trucks from Rock Quarry in front of me) and if you are willing to drive, I would recommend the shop I took my car.

Here's the yelp link and you could see my review there and the pictures of my car or you could look up my post here last month about it.

Look for Mark and tell them that they were recommended by a customer. also, once done, If you want to put clear bra, I would recommend the guy who did my car. His name is Jeremy and he goes to your place for installation.

White Oaks Auto Body - Campbell, CA

Invisiguard - North Beach/Telegraph Hill - San Francisco, CA

Getting Pampered :-)
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker View Post
I just recently got my car re painted due to rock chips on the whole front and side of the car (2 trucks from Rock Quarry in front of me) and if you are willing to drive, I would recommend the shop I took my car.

Here's the yelp link and you could see my review there and the pictures of my car or you could look up my post here last month about it.

Look for Mark and tell them that they were recommended by a customer. also, once done, If you want to put clear bra, I would recommend the guy who did my car. His name is Jeremy and he goes to your place for installation.

White Oaks Auto Body - Campbell, CA

Invisiguard - North Beach/Telegraph Hill - San Francisco, CA

Getting Pampered :-)
How much did it cost you to repaint? And also, how much was the clear bra?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #13

The paint job cost around $5,800 coz they did almost 90% of the car and they match the color of the car. It was the insurance who paid for it.

And for the clear bra, it's $595. It covers 1/4 of the hood and front fenders, full front bumper, both headlights and both side mirror.

Call both of them and let me know what you find out or you could just pm. Good luck, man!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #14

Oh I never knew you could claim this on your insurance! Does it raise your premiums though?

Looks like the clear bra is a good investment.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #15

Same here! I called my insurance and they told me that since my car has over 106k miles, it is un avoidable to have rock chips but I insist, I told them to come and see the car first before they make their decision.

when they looked at my car, there's chips all the way to the rear except the rear bumper and the rear trunk lid. Also, my windshield has damages too and they replace the whole thing. Basically, it looks like someone bead blast my car. I paid my deductible of $500 and I didn't see my premium goes up, it's been 2 months.

and yes, the clear bra is a good investment (IMHO) coz' I'm keeping the car for good until it breaks down. I didn't drive my car for 3 weeks, waiting for the paint to cure before I could have someone install the plactic film
Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #16

I sure wish someone would key my car up and down both sides.

I need a respray something fierce and just need that little bit of damage to get my wife to say, "That looks horrible! When are you going to get the car painted?"

Rome, if you're single this will sound stupid to you, but if you're married, you'll know exactly what I mean.

BTW, Like unklekraker's windshield, mine was totally sandblasted and super-hard to see out of when clean and driving into the sun. I replaced it a while back and it was $40 more than my deductible so I didn't claim it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #17

I could almost feel your frustration. The 2 trucks and the work being done in the freeway the night before was a blessing in disguise.
My car looks bad and that incident made it really worse. I was really happy when I found out that the insurance will cover the whole damage. Thanks to the body shop
Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #18

Absolutely make the claim. Dealerships, however, rarely have body shops. You can have your paint shop install whatever parts you want to have put on when you have the paint job done.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Matt

Street parking? That's rotten. Claim it and paint it. New start for the new year. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker View Post
Same here! I called my insurance and they told me that since my car has over 106k miles, it is un avoidable to have rock chips but I insist, I told them to come and see the car first before they make their decision.

when they looked at my car, there's chips all the way to the rear except the rear bumper and the rear trunk lid. Also, my windshield has damages too and they replace the whole thing. Basically, it looks like someone bead blast my car. I paid my deductible of $500 and I didn't see my premium goes up, it's been 2 months.

and yes, the clear bra is a good investment (IMHO) coz' I'm keeping the car for good until it breaks down. I didn't drive my car for 3 weeks, waiting for the paint to cure before I could have someone install the plactic film
Okay, I'll find the right time to do this, maybe in a few months. Thanks for the tip!