View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
senna21

Don't be fooled you can get a good job done for $3K. I've gotten quotes on my MR2 Turbo and they've all fallen in the 3K range. That's for the car to be basically dismantled (all glass, side markers and trim removed, along with spoilers and anything else that overlaps the sheet metal) stripped, primed and painted. That price doesn't include a rental car though as the entire process would take 4-6 weeks. The MR2 has many, many more body panels than the boxser so prep time for the boxer would be less. That price is for show room quality using PPG paint, no orange peel, and warrantee to me for as long as I own the car.

Shop around for a good paint shop. Go to the dealer and ask who they use as many dealerships farm out body work. That's what I've done, and ask to see their work. Any shop worth anything will be more than happy to walk you around and show you what you should expect. Let them know what you're after and make it clear you won't settle for substandard work. Also ask to make sure they offer a warrantee. Again, anyone who does good work will have no problem standing behind it. The warrantee they offer will tell you a lot about their work as well. Only one year? Walk. Lifetime as long as you own the car? That’s what you want to look for.
senna21 is offline   Reply With Quote