Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
blkboxster

Tire removel

How do i take my tire off,i look at what the car came with and im confused

thanks

Old 08-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
bmussatti

Porsche does it that way so you have to go to the dealership and spend millions of dollars!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Porsche does it that way so you have to go to the dealership and spend millions of dollars!
Bastards
Old 08-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #4

Take the tire off rim? or simply remove wheel from car?

If the latter the tools needed are:

1) Jack
2) Lug wrench
3) If applicable, wheel lock socket

a) with car on ground, in gear, and ebrake on, break loose all 5 lug bolts per wheel
b) once "loosened", raise car using the jack, or appropriate lift tool.. blah blah safety blah blah
c) continue removing wheel bolts.
d) be prepared after last bolt is removed to "catch" wheel. Shouldn't happen, but it may. The wheel is centered on a ring. May need to wrap hands around wheel to pull off of the car.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
blkboxster

Im having trouble with steps 1-2, what do i use to un tighten the bolts?,
Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
Im having trouble with steps 1-2, what do i use to un tighten the bolts?,
IF the car has a toolkit, it is located with the spare tire. you may have to loosen the bracket that holds the spare in place, as the tools should be located "inside" the rim. You should find a Jack and a lug wrench. In addition, perhaps in the toolkit, perhaps in the vinyl cover of the spare, should be a socket. It is for the "anti-theft" bolt - which your boxster should have. 1 on each wheel to prevent (or delay) theft.

Once those parts are located you should be on your way. It may also be spelled out for you in the owners manual.

If you don't have the socket, and you notice one of your wheel bolts is NOT a simple hexagon shape, well, then you get to go to the dealer and "guess" which one of the 20 or so "locking sockets" porsche made, that you need.

I recall the regular bolts are simple 19mm.. so if you have a 19mm socket and a long enough extension, that could work as well. However, you will be subjecting the wrench to about 95lb-ft of torque to loosen and tighten them, so be sure your tools are up to the challenge.

In addition, you may find a 6" or so long metal piece that is threaded on one end. This is Porsche's "helpful" tool when mounting the wheel again. You thread this bolt into one of the regular bolt holes and use it to guide the wheel back onto the car. I don't use it myself (lots of practice with this BS) but it is there.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #7

Tire on/Tire off

I realize I am a bit late to this thread, but having suffered mightily with two flat tires before I found this solution, I believe it is worth explaining here. I am certain the newbies don't know this, and I'm willing to bet many long time Boxster pilots don't know it either. Here goes:
Removing and replacing a wheel from a car which uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts can be difficult and even dangerous. I was lucky in that my two flats were discovered when the car was in the garage. After wrestling my flat rear tire off and then back on not once but twice, I went looking for something to make the job easier.
Eventually I found a guy on Ebay who sold an aluminum "pin" which you put in one of the lug bolt holes after removing the first lug bolt. It stays there until you remove the other bolts and allows you to slide the wheel off.
When replacing the wheel you slide the wheel onto the "pin". This allows you to line up the other holes and replace the bolts. Remove the "pin" and put in the final lug bolt.
Now for the "why I'm an idiot" part. Since the flats were discovered in my garage I removed the lug bolts with a socket and strong arm, using the torque wrench for the final set. Only weeks later did I discover that my tool kit includes the magic pin that I had so desperately searched for and was certain I was brilliant for buying and carrying in my Box.
So guys, this labor-saving/safety device came in your tool kit!!
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #8

LOL!!!

In case anyone is still confused, here is what it looks like:

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crios
In case anyone is still confused, here is what it looks like:
that's what that thing is!? i had the tool set out the other day trying to figure out what hole that thing belonged in.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
that's what that thing is!? i had the tool set out the other day trying to figure out what hole that thing belonged in.

I'm with ya....LOL
myfirstporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 AM   #11
bmussatti

I think one of the main reasons to use this tool is to protect the big red calipers from getting a chip in the paint. Right???
Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #12

it can also be used to *bonk* the passenger in the head when they yell "slow down!"
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I think one of the main reasons to use this tool is to protect the big red calipers from getting a chip in the paint. Right???
Actually it is part of the lugbolt system to keep the wheels from getting chipped when sliding them over the older style pressed in lugs with the lug nut fasteners. Lesser vehicles like VWs have had them for years.

Howsomeever, some sanctioning bodies want to see thread of the lugs showing thru the lug nuts so that the scrutineers know for certain that the wheels are safely mounted.

BTW I think having two of the screw-in mounting bolts is a good idea for mounting wheels - BUT, I haven't bought the second one yet. They are not expensive even from dealers. < $10.00 I think.

And yes, the can be used for medicinal purposes.

As suppositories.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
it can also be used to *bonk* the passenger in the head when they yell "slow down!"

LOL...so true... :dance: