Thread: Tire removel
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
schnellman

Tire on/Tire off

I realize I am a bit late to this thread, but having suffered mightily with two flat tires before I found this solution, I believe it is worth explaining here. I am certain the newbies don't know this, and I'm willing to bet many long time Boxster pilots don't know it either. Here goes:
Removing and replacing a wheel from a car which uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts can be difficult and even dangerous. I was lucky in that my two flats were discovered when the car was in the garage. After wrestling my flat rear tire off and then back on not once but twice, I went looking for something to make the job easier.
Eventually I found a guy on Ebay who sold an aluminum "pin" which you put in one of the lug bolt holes after removing the first lug bolt. It stays there until you remove the other bolts and allows you to slide the wheel off.
When replacing the wheel you slide the wheel onto the "pin". This allows you to line up the other holes and replace the bolts. Remove the "pin" and put in the final lug bolt.
Now for the "why I'm an idiot" part. Since the flats were discovered in my garage I removed the lug bolts with a socket and strong arm, using the torque wrench for the final set. Only weeks later did I discover that my tool kit includes the magic pin that I had so desperately searched for and was certain I was brilliant for buying and carrying in my Box.
So guys, this labor-saving/safety device came in your tool kit!!
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote