Thread: Tire removel
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
racer_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
Im having trouble with steps 1-2, what do i use to un tighten the bolts?,
IF the car has a toolkit, it is located with the spare tire. you may have to loosen the bracket that holds the spare in place, as the tools should be located "inside" the rim. You should find a Jack and a lug wrench. In addition, perhaps in the toolkit, perhaps in the vinyl cover of the spare, should be a socket. It is for the "anti-theft" bolt - which your boxster should have. 1 on each wheel to prevent (or delay) theft.

Once those parts are located you should be on your way. It may also be spelled out for you in the owners manual.

If you don't have the socket, and you notice one of your wheel bolts is NOT a simple hexagon shape, well, then you get to go to the dealer and "guess" which one of the 20 or so "locking sockets" porsche made, that you need.

I recall the regular bolts are simple 19mm.. so if you have a 19mm socket and a long enough extension, that could work as well. However, you will be subjecting the wrench to about 95lb-ft of torque to loosen and tighten them, so be sure your tools are up to the challenge.

In addition, you may find a 6" or so long metal piece that is threaded on one end. This is Porsche's "helpful" tool when mounting the wheel again. You thread this bolt into one of the regular bolt holes and use it to guide the wheel back onto the car. I don't use it myself (lots of practice with this BS) but it is there.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote