Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2004, 09:13 AM   #1
JT
Administrator and Founder

986 Forum up for grabs

Dont' panic folks. The site wiill remain up and running. I am simply looking for someone who may want the site. I have 4 sites running and dont have the time to give attention and detail to all of the sites. That being the case, I am looking for a new owner for 986forum who will dedictae the time to continue growing and promoting the site. Will trade for a boxster

Old 07-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
b0xt0La

How much are you asking for?
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
JT
Administrator and Founder

I will entertain any fair offers.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:24 AM   #4
b0xt0La

Well since taking care of a forum is a pain in the ass in the first place, I say it should be for free.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:32 AM   #5

JT you are the man. This is without a doubt one of my favorite websites on the internet and some how you have managed to keep away all the advertising and pop-ups that plague so many of the great "free" websites out there. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:56 AM   #6

If someone wants to cover costs I can help with administration and upgrades.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
b0xt0La

We can have more than one owner.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #8

Hi JT,
If 986forum needs a new home I can house it. I already run multiple websites on my web server at home. I am running sDSL 1.1 dedicated in each direction and for the most part have 99% uptime. If you are interested email me directly.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:41 PM   #9

I vote that you give it to Alienz. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #10

hey whatever was fine with me. Thought I would put the offer out there....
Old 08-29-2004, 10:26 PM   #11

I would like to speak with you also about running the forum.

I currently run/own the largest 914 forum site available on the web. I have enough admins in place another forum would not be an issue. I bring to the table 17 years of Porsche experience and 5 years of pro racing experience in ALMS and Grand Am ( team engineer capacity) and 7 years of computer industry experience.

Servers and bandwith is a non issue. We have our own colo space with our own servers (W2K and Linux) and currently run/admin Invision PB on .php and MYSQL.

I have kept the 914club "vendor neutral" meaning we have NO vendor affiliation and dont accept sponsors unless we are holding an event (see this months Excellence issue)

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 08-29-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:58 AM   #12
porsche986

sounds good, but i still would like to see this forum go to one of our long members aliens or jfmiller.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:29 AM   #13

I dont disagree. I have spent the last 5 years coughing up free technical advice to different Porsche lists for ZERO gain. It takes a dedicated person with *some* free time..with some computer knowledge...some graphics knowledge... with some Porsche knowledge. It takes a leader... a manager... you end up wearing a lot of hats. Growing a successful site (however you decide success) is rewarding but very time consuming (I'm guessing the current person running the show doesnt have the time) I eat sleep breath Porsche. I autoX 16+ times a year and road race/crew 10-12 times a year. This doesnt leave many weekends open. The weekends that are open are filled with Porsche fun runs...Tahoe runs...Santa Cruz runs...

Good times.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:07 PM   #14

I am behind you, Porsche986, hate to see this turn into a PPBB.

I hear overtones like that...
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:44 PM   #15

I'd like to give it a try, but I've never done one. Either way, I'd like to see one of the regulars take over the board.

JBG
Old 08-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #16

I have spent ZERO time on PPBB.. what is the story behind your comment ?

B
Old 08-30-2004, 06:14 PM   #17

If it is ok with you JT when you are ready to get rid of it start up an official poll to let the members decide, just an idea even though you own it.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:09 PM   #18

No response on the "overtones" comment ?

Sorry. Wrong person. I didnt realize "MickeyMouse" posted that.

Anyone ever wonder why people dont use their real names to join these BBS's ??

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 08-30-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:49 AM   #19
porsche986

same can be said for pictures brad...

As regard to who runs the forum... i like it to stay with a long member they are used to the way people post and the way things are done. I am sure you have a good hosting system but so do others..

I just would like it go to forum members.. maybe you could be a MOD if you want some involvment.

who knows its up to JT its his forum and his domain name. Besides running a forum is hard as you need to be quick to delete potentially bordline messages as "messageboard" is a legal minefield.

but i did check your forum out a while back and it was good i must admit.

Last edited by porsche986; 08-31-2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:38 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
I use my real name