Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 05:20 AM   #21

flat towing a boxster behind rv

I am currently setting up my 98 Boxster to dingy tow behind our RV. I hear most folks saying you can't, but my thinking is why not. I have the tow brackets coming out through the air grills, they are set at 13.3'' to center of draw pin. The car weighs less than 3000 pounds. I fabricated a 5 point attachment and mounted it through the trunk panel with 1/4" back plates. with grade 8 hardware. and will be using a Blue Ox tow bar

Planning on test run this afternoon , and leaving for Florida in a week or so!

dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobie View Post
I am currently setting up my 98 Boxster to dingy tow behind our RV. I hear most folks saying you can't, but my thinking is why not. I have the tow brackets coming out through the air grills, they are set at 13.3'' to center of draw pin. The car weighs less than 3000 pounds. I fabricated a 5 point attachment and mounted it through the trunk panel with 1/4" back plates. with grade 8 hardware. and will be using a Blue Ox tow bar

Planning on test run this afternoon , and leaving for Florida in a week or so!
If you're running a standard transmission, you probably can flat tow it. I've done it with Fieros back in the day and it was pretty easy and didn't harm the transaxle.

Because it's so low to the ground, I wouldn't dolly it, you could easily lose your front bumper fascia on a speed bump. They're everywhere, you know.

I guess I'd see if I could rent a car trailer for a week or so. There again, the car is so low that it might be a challenge to get it on and off without damaging it--you would need long ramps.

Or rent a car when you get to where you're going.

I, personally, would drag my old 02 Prius along instead. Or my pickup.:dance:

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 02-02-2018 at 06:04 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:06 AM   #23

Becarefull, I tried Flat towing a old Datsun 2000 roadster several times and had trouble with it on tight turns as the front wheels would at times tend to turn opposite way and get dragged. Of course the car only weighed a ton and our Boxsters weigh 1/2 ton more. Maybe my front end was just too light. Also the towed car is impossible to see so get a wifi rear view camera.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG View Post
Even with those bumper brushes on the back of the RV's, the towed vehicles still get pounded by rocks and road debris.

Unless you just don't mind trashing your Boxster, an enclosed trailer is the only way you should ever tow.
I'm sorry this really is not true. We've towed 3 different Honda's and never had residual damage. all were new at one point when towed. which was at least 2x the value of a decade and a half old 986.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DUB View Post
So I am getting the impression that no one has seen or tried to dolly tow a boxster with the nose up on the dolly like you normally would?
I looked for a answer for this but could never find information on a tow kit. I have seen 2- 911 towed rear wheels down on tow dollies. I saw on the 924 sight that there were several guys flat towing to tracks. Last I was at Road Atlanta after a SCCA event in 2009. I could swear I saw a motor home leaving the track flat towing a Boxster but I could not find it after we left the track.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #26

While Towing the vehicle, its weight should be considered. Tow vehicle weight should not be more than the vehicle which is towing. To save from damage proper kit should be used as you can take the advice of experts and now there are many information available on the internet, you can take help of that also.
JosephJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #27

While Towing the vehicle, its weight should be considered. Tow vehicle weight should not be more than the vehicle which is towing. To save from damage proper kit should be used as you can take the advice of experts and now there are many information available on the internet, you can take help of that also.
JosephJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #28

Garage
dolly

I towed, on a dolly, a 944 behind my classic GMC mh. Had to replace the rear wheel bearings, although the car had 110k miles on it..
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #29

Holy resurected thread Batman!

If it were me, I'd rent a full car trailer for the week (or however long you needed it) so you don't have to store the trailer between trips.

Back in the late 90's a friend and I towed my 87 Fiero behind his truck without any problems. Pretty sure I rented it from u-haul - there may be better solutions. We had no problem getting it on or off the trailer (my Fiero sat pretty much as low as my Boxster S), and had no damage of any kind from debris being thrown up by the truck.

I've owned several different mid-engine cars and I would never think of towing any of them ass up (ie backwards) on a dolly - the chance of the front end bottoming out (damaging the front bumper cover or even ripping it off!) is just too high because of the low ground clearance and angle to the ground. Towing front end up with the drive wheels on the ground - I'm pretty sure every maintenance manual I've ever owned said NOT to do that or risk transaxle damage. Might be ok with a manual tranny, but definitely a no-no with an automatic (or tip).

Maybe pick up a couple of cheap FRS radios and have someone in your party follow with the Boxster, or meet you at your overnight stop?