Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #1

Boxster On Jack Stands?

I want to replace my pads and rotors. When I do this this I want to redo my calipers as the clear coat is peeling. I might not have time the time to complete this in one session.

To keep from taking the wheels on and off, would it be ok (with a high quality set ) to leave the Boxster on Jack stands for a few days?

Old 06-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #2

Sure. It's perfectly safe to leave it up for as long as you need to, provided you've placed the stands in proper locations.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #3

Hi,

Not a problem. I had my Boxster on Jackstands for more than 2 weeks as I removed, painted and reinstalled the Calipers, installed new Pads, flushed the Brake Fluid, drained the Tiptronic, replaced the Filter, Gasket, Fluid, and cleaned the Radiators (in-between living Life).

No ill effects whatever. Just make sure you have the car as level (and consequently an equal amount of weight on each Jackstand) as possible.

If longer, I would Saran Wrap the Shock Piston Shafts to protect them from Dirt, Debris, and Corrosion as a portion of them is not normally exposed and could damage the seals when re-inserted. If lifted for an extended period, I might also support the struts to keep from stressing the Bushings in areas thay normally are not. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i had mine on jackstands for a few days when i was doing my wheels, as i dont have an extra set of wheels, its ok as long as you place the jackstands in a secure place.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #5

Thanks guys, figured as much but just wanted to ask the experts since I'm new to the Boxster.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Do any of you guys have any pics of how exactly your seating the jacking points on your jack stands?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:03 AM   #7

A big help

photos would be a big help. I know where the pads are for the jack, but are there other locations for jack stand placement? If not, what's the trick of jacking the car up and then placing the jack stand on the pad?
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #8

ok, times 3 or 4 on the where to put the jack stands if you're using the jack points for the floor jack!

Pelican has some pics of the hockey puck trick and I found some pics of modded jack stands that have an aluminum part on top that is the same shape as the porsche jack to fit in the 4 approved jack points but no real description of how to jack the car AND have room to place jack stands....

I did see one description of someone using a point somewhat forward of the rear jack point and apparently lifting there will lift the whole side of the car so you can get a jack stand under the front. That seems a little dangerous flopping the car around as you let the floor jack down. Plus my car didn't look like that.. maybe it was a 996??

There's really no obvious spot I can see like the frame rails on the ol' Camry, everything is flat and covered by plastic!

Anyone?? pics??
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #9

The Bently manual suggests jacking up the front end at a point about six inches forward and inboard from the factory jack points. There's a bit of exposed frame rail there, and I use a piece of 2x6 on top of my floor jack to spread out the load. With the jack going in there at an angle, there's just enough room to place jack stands at the factory jack points once it's raised.

After doing both fronts, place the jack on the frame member that runs between the rear wheels dead in the center. There are two studs and nuts there that secures the sheet metal brace (the flat metal pan) that covers a portion of the rear of the car. Note that this sheet metal brace also has two bolts at the rear just in front of the mufflers. This is NOT the correct place to jack up the car, the place you want is at the front of that brace in between the rear tires. Once the rear is raised, place your rear stands and you're ready to go.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:33 AM   #10

Putting the Boxster up on stands is very easy - the archives have plenty of suggestions, but I tend to follow the Bentley repair manual.

Use the rear jacking point to lift a side of the car high enough to put a jack stand under the front jacking point. Lower and do the other side.

Then use the rear axle support and lift the entire rear end evenly. Once raised, place jack stands under each of the rear jacking points and lower slowly making sure each stand is secure and does not shift. Watch the front ones too.

Using a borrowed pic (from from someone else's post - RMS anyone??) I've marked it w/ a red X where you should lift from - you can see the oil filter housing in bottom right of picture as well as the engine safety cable.

Note: there is a similar looking support bar just in front of the muffler behind the transmission - it's not the correct one. You want to use the forward one - under the location where the motor and transmission meet.

Once raised w/ the wheels removed, it's always good idea to place the wheels under the side of the vehicle as a safety precaution - especially if you will be working under there. Under no circumstances - never work under a car that is supported only by a hydraulic or mechanical jack. Use jack stands for your own good.

Hope this helps.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #11

Here's a good writeup from Tom M.

Jacking the Boxster

BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote