Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #1

broke off rollbar trim peice clip into the rollbar

I was taking off my roll bar trim because I was getting some noise from it. In the process a peice (screw or plastic peice not quite sure) fell into the little hole and is now rolling around in my rollbar.

Its really quite anoying everytime I take a turn I hear it. Has anyone had this issue before if so how did you get the peice out. I havent tried to take the trim peice off again because I didnt want another peice to go in there.

If the trim peices are held on by screws and thats what broke off would it be possible to get it out with a magnet or does the rollbar have to be removed?

thanks in advance

Jordan

Just read the peices are little plastic clips so I guess the magnet idea is out so now how do I get this little sucker out!

cosmetic-
gt2 bumper w/evo lip, TA side skirts, factory yellow painted interior, 18" turbo twists wrapped in AVS sports, 6 pack mp3

Last edited by jordan986; 07-26-2007 at 11:38 AM.
jordan986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
You can try fashioning a peice of tape to a pipe cleaner and lay the tape inside the bar and with any luck the tape will snag the plastic peice while your driving and be stuck for life and no longer roll around

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #3

When I removed my trim, here's what I noticed.

There is a "stud" on the backside of the trim piece. It "threads" into a small plastic insert that squeezes into the holes in the rollbar. I was lucky enough when removing the trim that all pieces came out together, allowing for an easy re-install. Maybe I was just lucky on this part though.

I imagine that a magnet alone would not be strong enough to pull out any broken pieces, unless they are really really small pieces.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #4

After 8 years of Boxstiring this in a new one. I drill out the heads of the pop-rivets for the roll bar hoops to replace the clips. What is left of the old rivet falls inside. So that is metal that can slide around, I guess, and make noise. But no one has complained.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:44 AM   #5
boxsterz

I would shoot some type of lightweight glue, or some of that aerosol foam insulation (might be messy and hard to control) into the hole so that enough makes it to the bottom and traps the rattling piece.

The holes I've seen for the rollbar trim are too small for fishing much out.

I sort of went through this on the center trim piece where I drilled out the rivets for a V1 stealth install. I ended up drilling a 3/8 hole in the trim piece metal and shook the heads out. This prolly isn't a good idea for the roll bar.

If you are really anal, I guess you could unbolt the rollbar and eventually shake the piece out of the same hole, but sounds like too much work for me.