Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #1

Too funny Jim.

I love the VESPA, always have.

But you should have gotten a SPORTSTER. Black of course.

Best of luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #2

Every time I see these I remember the packs of women in dressess and stilleto heels riding these all over Rome.... insane traffic there.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #3

Just reminds me of all those young ****************************s in Italy that would try to run over my friends and I... hehehe

Pretty cool Jim! What does one of those go for nowadays? If I didn't live right on a highway that merges into a tollway, then crosses a freeway... I'd consider a scooter for the work commute.... maybe...

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Just reminds me of all those young ****************************s in Italy that would try to run over my friends and I... hehehe

Pretty cool Jim! What does one of those go for nowadays? If I didn't live right on a highway that merges into a tollway, then crosses a freeway... I'd consider a scooter for the work commute.... maybe...
Hi,

The GT 200 retails for $5299, but you can deal them under $4k right now because of all the competition out there, especially from the cheapie no-names coming out of China. But, I suspect that many of these will be culled from the herd as the major players, Honda, Yamaha, Piaggio/Vespa, Lambretta, etc. ramp-up in the next few years.

The new bikes, w/ powerful 4-stroke engines, FI, Electric start, Hydraulic Disc Brakes, and such are eliminating the sometimes finnicky nature these machines were often known for. Mileages of 200k+ are not at all unheard of from these bikes.

And, there's such a vast Go-Fast and Cosmetic Parts aftermarket, that you can Mod and Individually Customize your Scooter to no end - cheaply! A 220cc Conversion kit (w/ Piston, Head, ECU Flash, and all the accouterments) costs only $299, but will push the Scooter >100 MPH. And, on a Scooter, it's not so much Flying, but the sensation of Flying which is important.

Freeway Driving is no problem for the 150+cc Machines (60+ MPH), though 200cc (80MPH) is the minimum I would use so you always have something in reserve.

Operating and Maintenance costs are 5% those of a Boxster, Insurance cost is nothing - $87 for a year, Full Liability, Comprehensive, Uninsured Motorist, etc. You can't help but get a Thumbs-Up everytime you take it out - these Scooters make people Smile...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-30-2007 at 08:27 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #5

Hi Jim , Congratulations! I have some **************************** cousins in Italy that have owned many Vespa's and they are indestructible unless you use them for running over people who don't use sidewalks.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #6

A Vespa..? You kiddin' me?! Right away when you were talking about getting an Italian vehicle, I was hoping to see you on a Ducati. (but hey, at least you didn't go for a Japanese scoot ;^) In any case, congratulations.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:55 AM   #7

It's like my brother always says. Vespas are like fat chicks, they seem cool until someone sees you ridding one. I preffer something a little more rugged. Like this cool Honda Ruckus. :troll:
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #8

Update - Vespa GT 200

Hi,

Well , almost 2 mos. in and I gotta tell you this thing is an absolute fr*ggin' Blast to own and ride!

Got my full 'M' endorsement 11 days after picking it up and 2,200 trouble-free miles later and I still can't get enough. I've filled it 11 times for a grand total of 27.5 gal. and $84.15 in Gas.

It generates lots more attention, thumbs-up, questions and Smiles than I ever got in my Boxster. Mrs. MNBoxster and I have run it all over town. You can park anywhere and never get a ticket. While used generally about town, I have had it on the Freeway on several occaisions and topped it out at 83MPH before hitting the limiter. Very doable, but I pretty much restrict it to 55-60MPH Highways, because at 80MPH, things just happen too fast for a two-wheeler.

The only required maintenance to-date has been a mandatory Oil/Filter/Tranny Fluid change at 600 mi. (Break-in Period) which I did myself for $18.23, next scheduled Service is at 4,000 mi. - probably late Fall Storage time.

I have upgraded the shocks and added a Windscreen, a Topcase, an extra Front Running light (I custom painted the Horn Cover in proper Tri-colore theme) for conspicuity, along with a Euro Tailight - see below. Gotta say that for the cost of just a few of the popular Boxster upgrades (about $4,400 all in), this thing has been money and time well spent.

Since acquiring it, the Boxster has been driven only twice for a total of 42 mi. I'm even considering dumping the Boxster for lack of use - had the Battery die for the 1st time ever and now have it out of the car on a Tender. If I keep the Boxster, I'm downgrading my Ins. next year to 2,500 mi., because I'll be wasting about 3,000 mi. of coverage this year.

I've perused this board from time-to-time, but see that it's mainly the same stuff - lots of recurrent issues, but some new owners as well. That's good, hope everyone's doing OK...

Happy Motoring!... Jim

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-28-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Looking good! A couple of my friends actually trailer their Vespas to Road American then use them to get around. RA only allows licensed vehicles (officially anyhow) past the front gate.

Another one of my friends (a 930 owner) brings a motorized skateboard in the back seats!! No one at the gate would ever suspect something like that to be in a 930.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Every time I see these I remember the packs of women in dressess and stilleto heels riding these all over Rome.... insane traffic there.

Hi,

I remember the Vespa from my childhood. I spent my 1st 16 yrs. living in Lausanne, Paris, and Naples and especially in the '50s, these Scooters dominated the scene.

But, make no mistake, these are the real deal. They're Fast, Solid, with great Brakes and a very comfortable ride. There's a huge contingent of Vespa Owners here in the Twin Cities, and I've already been contacted by the local Touring Club.

There is also a LONG list of distinguished owners of Vespas through the years to include: Steve McQueen, John Wayne, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Tiger Woods (owns 2 GT 200s which he keeps on his Yacht), Gary Cooper, Henry Fonda, James Gandolfini (who actually delayed the Final season of the Sopranos because of a crash he had on his GT 200), Dennis Hopper, Matthew Broderick and his wife, Sara Jessica Parker, Jay Leno (has 3), Matt Lauer, Bill Murray, Steven Spielburg, Anthony Quinn, Paul Newman (it travels in the Newman-Haas Support Truck between races), Owen Wilson, Jerry Seinfeld, Mickey Rourke, Jacques Nasser (former CEO of FORD Motor Co.), Tony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Robert De Niro, Marlon Brando, Brent Favre, and on and on...

Like I said, a Motorcycle just doesn't fit the bill for us. Harleys are nice, but have become such a cliche' that they're not really special anymore. And, given my size, and Mrs. MNBoxster's, a Harley is really too much Bike for us. And, I got so good a deal on this one (over $1500 off MSRP), that we can actually ride it for a couple of years and still sell it for more than we paid judging on the resale value of the '04s and '05s. Popularity and Demand is on the rise, so prices are actually expected to increase for the next few years. Money Magazine wrote in an article last year:
  • "Well, one area to be watching is the Scooter Business. I think that with the urban sprawl/crawl, the little runabouts will spring up like crazy. Yamaha's Vino, the Piaggio, Vespa (produced by Piaggio) and others that have that "Vespa" quaintness, or an Italjet speed, will be the next rage. Hot rodders will tinker to get these little rats to get to 80-90mph, yet still be "cute" enough to fool the local police…"

For ********************s and giggles, I highly recommend checking them out and taking a Test Drive. I bet most of you come away very surprised. And, since the worst thing for a Car is short hops, we'll be saving the Jag and the Boxster for serious hauling and fun, and let the $4k Scooter take the beating...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-30-2007 at 08:12 AM.