Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #1

New Toy

Hi,

Well, Mrs. MNBoxster and I decided that it has been too long since we had an addition to the Family.

So, today I finalized the deal on a new, Italian 2-seater from a well known 60 yr. old company . Sleek, Jet Black w/ Tan Alcantera seats, it's fast and extremely fun to drive.

I pick it up on Tues. and will post pics shortly after that. Looks like I'll be keeping the Boxster afterall. Have a Great Weekend everyone!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #2

Congratulations Jim! can't wait to see pictures of it.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
bmussatti

Jim, congratulazioni per il lieto evento!
Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #4

OH, and you just had to tease us and tell us now so we have to wait Congrats Jim, can't wait to see it!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #5

Those are Krugerrands well spent! ; )
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #6

Update - Arrgh!!!

Hi,

Went to the Dealership today, Check and Ins. Card in hand. Vehicle all prepped and ready to go.

But, as we were finalizing all the paperwork, I noticed that the VIN on the Title was incorrect. A quick search revealed that they had sent another Buyer out the door with the wrong Title!!!

So, they contacted the other Buyer and are having the correct Titles swapped. Needless to say, I did not want to complete the deal without a proper and correct Title, so everything's delayed until tomorrow on my little Italian Black Beauty.

BTW, here's a stock photo of it. It's a Vespa GT 200 Grantourismo, a truly Modern Touring Scooter w/ 21 HP, 4-Stroke, Liquid Cooled, 200cc Engine capable of 80 MPH (Vespa states 74 MPH, but every owner I've spoken to says they all get an indicated 80 MPH (90+MPH with an Exhaust and Cam)), 0-60 times of 8.9 sec. (a Scooter remember) and 72MPG. It has 12" Michelin Pilot Sports, Dual Hydraulic Disc Brakes, an Immobilizer system, Electric Start, and CVT Transmission, even a Cell Phone recharging port. Mrs. MNBoxster and I are going Helmet Shopping for her tonight.

I'll post actual pics of our Scooter once I pick it up, by the weekend at the latest, though it is the same color combo as this stock photo...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-30-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
bmussatti

Jim, you really need to de-amber that thing!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Jim, you really need to de-amber that thing!
Hi,

Good Point! But, for now I'll keep it Stock, and I've not heard of any available clear parts for it.

It has a 1 yr. Factory Full Warranty and I'm probably going to get an additional 3-yr. Aftermarket Extended Warranty offered through the Dealership ($540). Normally, I am Extended Warranty averse, but they offer a significant twist - if, after the 4 yrs. (1 yr. OEM and 3yr. Extended) period, you haven't had a claim, 100% of the price of the Warranty is refunded to you - all $540! It's fully transferrable (except the Refund).

Wish Porshe offered something like this. All you're really out is any interest you would have earned investing the $ somewhere for that period.

I'm pretty excited to be back on two wheels after so long an absence in owning a cycle (25 yrs.). We bought it to tool around town, though we'll likely also do some touring as well. I've tested them and they're extremely stable, and the 12" Tires and 4-way adjustable suspension give it an excellent ride. It easily keeps up with Freeway Traffic and has enough oomph to beat most cars off the line, allowing it to get up to speed quickly in traffic unlike many of the smaller displacement scooters, some of which can take up to a full block to reach 30 MPH.

We bought it to beat the never ending rise in Fuel prices for our errands and short trips which we frequently make around town. Could have gotten a Motorcycle, but these scooters are much less intimidating. They make people smile like an old Bug or original Mini does. Plus, the Cops never look twice at a Scooter. It will take up less space in my increasingly crowded garage, cost waay less to maintain (an Oil Change is 1.1 Qts., Tires are $40@) than a cycle, and I think Vespa, with it's 60 yr. success story is better built and holds it's value much better than any of the Japanese, Chinese, or Korean Scooters out there...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-30-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #9

Too funny Jim.

I love the VESPA, always have.

But you should have gotten a SPORTSTER. Black of course.

Best of luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #10

Every time I see these I remember the packs of women in dressess and stilleto heels riding these all over Rome.... insane traffic there.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #11

Just reminds me of all those young ****************************s in Italy that would try to run over my friends and I... hehehe

Pretty cool Jim! What does one of those go for nowadays? If I didn't live right on a highway that merges into a tollway, then crosses a freeway... I'd consider a scooter for the work commute.... maybe...

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Every time I see these I remember the packs of women in dressess and stilleto heels riding these all over Rome.... insane traffic there.

Hi,

I remember the Vespa from my childhood. I spent my 1st 16 yrs. living in Lausanne, Paris, and Naples and especially in the '50s, these Scooters dominated the scene.

But, make no mistake, these are the real deal. They're Fast, Solid, with great Brakes and a very comfortable ride. There's a huge contingent of Vespa Owners here in the Twin Cities, and I've already been contacted by the local Touring Club.

There is also a LONG list of distinguished owners of Vespas through the years to include: Steve McQueen, John Wayne, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Tiger Woods (owns 2 GT 200s which he keeps on his Yacht), Gary Cooper, Henry Fonda, James Gandolfini (who actually delayed the Final season of the Sopranos because of a crash he had on his GT 200), Dennis Hopper, Matthew Broderick and his wife, Sara Jessica Parker, Jay Leno (has 3), Matt Lauer, Bill Murray, Steven Spielburg, Anthony Quinn, Paul Newman (it travels in the Newman-Haas Support Truck between races), Owen Wilson, Jerry Seinfeld, Mickey Rourke, Jacques Nasser (former CEO of FORD Motor Co.), Tony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Robert De Niro, Marlon Brando, Brent Favre, and on and on...

Like I said, a Motorcycle just doesn't fit the bill for us. Harleys are nice, but have become such a cliche' that they're not really special anymore. And, given my size, and Mrs. MNBoxster's, a Harley is really too much Bike for us. And, I got so good a deal on this one (over $1500 off MSRP), that we can actually ride it for a couple of years and still sell it for more than we paid judging on the resale value of the '04s and '05s. Popularity and Demand is on the rise, so prices are actually expected to increase for the next few years. Money Magazine wrote in an article last year:
  • "Well, one area to be watching is the Scooter Business. I think that with the urban sprawl/crawl, the little runabouts will spring up like crazy. Yamaha's Vino, the Piaggio, Vespa (produced by Piaggio) and others that have that "Vespa" quaintness, or an Italjet speed, will be the next rage. Hot rodders will tinker to get these little rats to get to 80-90mph, yet still be "cute" enough to fool the local police…"

For ********************s and giggles, I highly recommend checking them out and taking a Test Drive. I bet most of you come away very surprised. And, since the worst thing for a Car is short hops, we'll be saving the Jag and the Boxster for serious hauling and fun, and let the $4k Scooter take the beating...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-30-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Just reminds me of all those young ****************************s in Italy that would try to run over my friends and I... hehehe

Pretty cool Jim! What does one of those go for nowadays? If I didn't live right on a highway that merges into a tollway, then crosses a freeway... I'd consider a scooter for the work commute.... maybe...
Hi,

The GT 200 retails for $5299, but you can deal them under $4k right now because of all the competition out there, especially from the cheapie no-names coming out of China. But, I suspect that many of these will be culled from the herd as the major players, Honda, Yamaha, Piaggio/Vespa, Lambretta, etc. ramp-up in the next few years.

The new bikes, w/ powerful 4-stroke engines, FI, Electric start, Hydraulic Disc Brakes, and such are eliminating the sometimes finnicky nature these machines were often known for. Mileages of 200k+ are not at all unheard of from these bikes.

And, there's such a vast Go-Fast and Cosmetic Parts aftermarket, that you can Mod and Individually Customize your Scooter to no end - cheaply! A 220cc Conversion kit (w/ Piston, Head, ECU Flash, and all the accouterments) costs only $299, but will push the Scooter >100 MPH. And, on a Scooter, it's not so much Flying, but the sensation of Flying which is important.

Freeway Driving is no problem for the 150+cc Machines (60+ MPH), though 200cc (80MPH) is the minimum I would use so you always have something in reserve.

Operating and Maintenance costs are 5% those of a Boxster, Insurance cost is nothing - $87 for a year, Full Liability, Comprehensive, Uninsured Motorist, etc. You can't help but get a Thumbs-Up everytime you take it out - these Scooters make people Smile...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-30-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #14

Hi Jim , Congratulations! I have some **************************** cousins in Italy that have owned many Vespa's and they are indestructible unless you use them for running over people who don't use sidewalks.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #15

A Vespa..? You kiddin' me?! Right away when you were talking about getting an Italian vehicle, I was hoping to see you on a Ducati. (but hey, at least you didn't go for a Japanese scoot ;^) In any case, congratulations.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:55 AM   #16

It's like my brother always says. Vespas are like fat chicks, they seem cool until someone sees you ridding one. I preffer something a little more rugged. Like this cool Honda Ruckus. :troll:
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #17

^Ha! anything Paul Newman has/had officialy becomes cool.

I was thinking about getting a very small motorcyle or moto cross bike or vespa, etc. to drive around in my complex and to the strip mall about five blocks away. Looked it up on the DMV site here in NJ and it seemed like a hassle so I left it at that.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #18

Very nice Jim. Looks like it would be a blast to take down Theodore Wirth Parkway and around the lakes on a sunny early summer day.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #19

Hi,

I agree that a Vespa may not be Macho enough for some guys, but they really don't get it.

I'm not that insecure that I care what others may think and believe me, one ride on one of Vespa's Quei Grandi (Big Ones), and if you're honest, it will change your mind.

If you're a true Motor Enthusiast, you come to appreciate anything that meets the criteria of Performance, State-of-the-Art Engineering and Reliability. The Vespas truly make the grade in all these categories.

It's Fun, Cheap, Reliable, what more could you want? I'm not proposing it instead of anything else, but in addition to...

Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #20

Smile

50 Mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote