Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #61
Ray

TriGem,

Just glad that neither you nor the public were injured in that type of speed! I think you have to be very lucky:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/enforce/speedlaws501/toc/caspeed.pdf

If you read the >=100mph section you will find that they could have impounded your vehicle for 6 months as well. (Starts pg 29)

Tell your dad asap... don't let that fester or your dad will wonder about any other things you may or may not have done.

Best of luck to you, join your local Porsche club and take it to the track!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #62

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
" like our friend TriGem who may have only been mildly deceptive (?) when trying to exit. Obviously, we'll never know, but that is what I choose to believe."

CFOS - What is that supposed to mean? I didn't exit the highway nor change lanes until the Officer was on my tail with Lights and Sounds. If I had any thought of getting away why would I even slow down from 154MPH? What are the chances the officer would have got me if I continued that speed and maybe took an exit 5-10miles down the road?

Come on don't put words in my mouth or assume things I haven't said.

FrankPatrick - That’s the same thing I read on the CA DMV website. I just hope they don't go with the 30days license suspension.

Husker - I did not post this thread thinking "I can't believe I got caught" or "I hate law enforcement". I admit wrong therefore did man up to what has been done. Now just trying to figure out the best approach to be able to keep my driving privilege
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #63

@ TriGem. It's a shame the Officers didn't get the BMW. 154 miles an hour, in a speed contest, in a car also occupied by his wife??? That's friggin' stupid. Was the baby strapped in her car seat also??? That would complete the picture, wouldn't it?

If you decide to kill yourself, whatever, but don't take out your loved ones when you go. I can't tell you how many times I've seen these young boys mash up their sport bikes with their girlfriends on the back. WTF???

Be very careful taking some of this advice. Trying to place blame on the BMW is basically admitting that you were drag racing and asking for a whole lot more trouble than you already have.

As far as telling your parents about what happened? I think it's a good idea. Better to get in front of it now and get it over with. Your Dad's going to find out sooner or later. You might as well be the one to tell him. If he finds out by some other means, and realizes that you've hidden something or deceived him, that adds a whole other dimension, and potentially damages your relationship. It's not worth the scant possibility that he won't find out.

On the issue of chases vs. no chases, I can see both sides of the argument, but I will tell you this. If I'm a bad guy and I know the cops can't chase me, I'm going to run. And I'll remain free to victimize someone else. Maybe the offender is only running from the traffic violation - maybe not. The only way to find out is to run him down, catch him and beat it out of him...um, um, um, I mean ask him nicely, after reading him his Miranda rights and buying him a cold soda.

Are all chases smart? No. Are some chases necessary? Absolutely. The problem is knowing when a chase has become too dangerous and being able to cut it off. At that point, competent supervision becomes imperative. When you're chasing a bad guy, you get tunnel vision. Your adrenaline gets up and you become as intent on catching him, as he is on escaping you. As well as you may know the rules, judgement can become clouded when the chase is in full swing. That's when a good supervisor, monitoring the radio traffic, is necessary to bring things back into perspective. Some chases should continue due to the nature of the crime. Some should end, sooner rather than later.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Old 05-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #64

Smile

I'm reminded of when my son told me about his DWI arrest, three days later.

He spent the night in jail and I asked him why he didn't call me so that I could have come and got him.

He said, "Well, Dad, I figured I was safer in jail than riding home with you!"

He was right!

Having said that, once he told me, we worked it all out.

It DID cost him his car though!

As a father, I would be pretty devasted if my son did NOT tell me what he had done.

But, I can't speak for any other fathers out there.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #65

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
No Thanks Bruce. I will surely receive plenty from my parents as soon as they find out. I do appreciate your offer though.

I know how much you hate and discourage speeding and I really was contemplating whether or not I should post it on the forum or not.

I'm a young guy who screwed up and am looking for some type of guidance.

I’ll tell you one thing when I got into my daily driver this morning to go to work I was in the far right lane doing about 55MPH with the trucks on the highway.

My bubble has officially been busted. Speed is a thing of the past.

I think you are on the right track. Keep truckin'.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #66

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoentgen
Agree with you Jeff, MN Boxster almost makes it sound like Trigem was being malicious when it's clear he was being capricious. What's the difference? Intent! Speeding tickets are bull**************** items whose only purpose is to make money. In my state, a Trooper died chasing a motorcycle in a Tahoe at 100 plus. The kid is in state pen but talk to any officer and they will tell you chasing a mcy with a Tahoe at 100 plus is just plain stupid. The recklessness is on both sides. Finally, being in medicine, I see people driving that have no business walking. Suffering dementia or worse, frankly I'll take my chances with a kid with a sports car and good reflexes trying to have a good time. You can bet that if Trigem had a tin to display the outcome would have been different, the county's laws are full of hypocrisy.

It's also true he asked specifically not to be castigated in his first post.

Interesting perspective, interesting but wrong!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #67
DrRoentgen

Trigem,

You can't un-ring the bell, it's good that you understand the stupidity of what you did and have since driven with more respect. My advice is face the music and take whatever comes but it's time to forgive yourself now. Guilt will do nothing to assist in resolution of this problem.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #68
DrRoentgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Interesting perspective, interesting but wrong!

Why? because you own the forum?? You want to belittle this kid for speeding while your son is driving drunk, sweep your own yard before you tell me how to maintain mine. As for my "perspective" it's shared by many troopers who knew the officer that died. All police worth their salt intend on going home safe and alive, if that means letting a speeder go so what...

Last edited by DrRoentgen; 05-07-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #69

Quote:
Why? because you own the forum?? You want to belittle this kid for speeding while your son is driving drunk, sweep your own yard before you start crap with me...As for my "perspective" it's shared by many troopers who knew the officer that died. All police worth their salt intend on going home safe and alive, if that means letting a speeder go so what...

A-I did not belittle him. If you think I did, show me the post.

B-Yes it is my forum but how it that relevent?

C-I said you were wrong, that is my opinion. Clearly you do not share it.

D-I did not defend my son, I took his car, sold it, and he lost his license. As he should have. Hardly a good trip all around for him. Of course, he remember that lesson very well.

E-This thread is not about chase scenarios. You added that little diddie yourself. Your axe to grind is obvious. Anyone doing this kind of speed deserves a ticket, would you agree?

F-I am not "starting crap" with you, I said you were wrong. Is this the way you respond to everyone who thinks you are wrong?

G-Well, there is no G! I guess I am done!

H- Oh, yes, mind your manners please!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #70
DrRoentgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
A-I did not belittle him. If you think I did, show me the post.

B-Yes it is my forum but how it that relevent?

C-I said you were wrong, that is my opinion. Clearly you do not share it.

D-I did not defend my son, I took his car, sold it, and he lost his license. As he should have. Hardly a good trip all around for him. Of course, he remember that lesson very well.

E-This thread is not about chase scenarios. You added that little diddie yourself. Your axe to grind is obvious. Anyone doing this kind of speed deserves a ticket, would you agree?

F-I am not "starting crap" with you, I said you were wrong. Is this the way you respond to everyone who thinks you are wrong?

G-Well, there is no G! I guess I am done!

H- Oh, yes, mind your manners please!

Are you going to take my car too dad?

Old 05-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #71

"Are you going to take my car too dad?"

Sorry, as a dead comedian once said,

"thats not my job!"

Old 05-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #72

High-horse Mr. Bruce Lee wrote:
> If you want a bashing, I would be happy to give you one.

I'm sure most of the people on this forum (if not all) have done something that would've landed them into the slammer, if caught -- and that certainly includes me. However, some are more lucky than others, and that certainly includes me (so far).

Anyways, since this reminds me of what my good friend Irish Jack did on his Ducati (also a 22348 which is "just" an infraction) and I believe that also you'll be good with a fine and perhaps a license suspension for a few weeks, (my friend got a 3 weeks license suspension, which he spent in Ireland as a vacation ;^)

In any case, and as Ronzi already pointed out, don't mention the BMW.

If you need more help, feel free to PM me.

-- peer
Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #73

I do know at least one person that has had Sherman Ellison get their case dismissed at 100+. He's that lawyer that was mentioned on the first page:

http://www.traffic-ticket-attorney.com/

Now, he ain't cheap. I think it would be like $2000. You have to make sure it's cost effective to go that route.

My suggestion: call him. The office will ask you to fax your ticket over to them so they can make some judgements. They're pretty honest--if they think it's not worth it for you to hire them, they'll tell you that. They'll give you free advice about what you SHOULD do.

Good luck, and keep it on the track next time!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #74

"There was a speeding ticket thread a couple of months ago and all the guy did was blame everyone but himself."

Posted by husker boxster

I heard that. Oh the judgements!

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg

Last edited by David N.; 05-07-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #75
Rennzenn

Garage
I think the board is being very supportive. Nice work, we all get a little "spirited" at times.
Hey TriGem2K, here's some advice: when the dust settles, join PCA or SCCA, or something and get yourself to an autocross, track day, or DE once a month or more. It will get all the woo-hoo out of your system. The limits to which you can push your Boxster on the track are so much greater than what you would ever consider on the street that blasting like you did on the highway becomes a "but why??" situation.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #76

Quote:
I didn't say speed limits were stupid, you did. I said that speeding, in general is a fee fishing expedition. Everyone in NY is doing 80 on the highway, posted speed is 65, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Oh and speeding was the only crime in the NY trooper case, I've never been through police training and I know you don't try to run down an excellent motorcycle driver with a truck, that trooper is lucky he didn't wipe out a family of six. Lastly, I have family in federal law enforcement, local law enforcement and Sheriff dept. They all speed when they are not on duty, go figure...
Hi,

I think the wrong perspective is being taken in this. No, no one here wants to see this kid suffer unecessarily, that's been said by almost everyone.

But, this infraction was not such as you describe - being pulled over the limit by the flow of traffic, or not noticing how fast one was going. Nor was the lister culled out of a herd of fast traffic by a Cop with an attitude toward Porsches, or a desire to swell the State coffers.

This was a deliberate decision to accept a throwdown from the driver of the BMW and knowingly exceed the legal limit. Those are two entirely different things.

I hope TG2K doesn't have to pay too severe a penalty for his poor judgement - something we have all been guilty of from time-to-time, especially in our youth.

But, this is now one of his life's experiences. One from which he can draw when making future (hopefully better) decisions.

One can only hope that the contrition which he now seems to be sincerely displaying will not fade over time, or become diluted if he's fortunate enough to avoid the harshest penalties, which we all hope for...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-07-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #77

fight it!!

Trigem2K,
The real problem is that you dont want this on your record. It takes 4+ years to have it disappear.
The money is not an issue. When your insurance drops you and all you can get is Rodney D. Young for 3000$/yr, you will kicking yourself.
I just got a 101/55 dismissed with nothing more than a honest face and nice manners.
If they have it in California you may be able to do what I did. At the very least get a lawyer to do it for you.
I got deferred adjudication (probation) for 3 months, 223$ in fines and I have to take defensive driving.
Best of all it does not appear on your driving record.
Did you know that your credit score is intertwined with your driving record? Do you want to pay more on your credit cards or finance purchase just because you had a brain freeze and got caught speeding.
Bottom line get a lawyer and fight this like you are fighting for your life.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #78

Smile

High-horse Mr. Bruce Lee wrote:
> If you want a bashing, I would be happy to give you one.

No HIGH HORSE intended nor delivered.

If you actually READ my posts, I have tried to be helpful.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
James,

You sound sincere and you are doing the right thing - man up. There was a speeding ticket thread a couple of months ago and all the guy did was blame everyone but himself. We need to remember we're responsible and accountable for our actions.
I hope you are not talking about me. I admitted to speeding, but was seeking legal advice because I was not charged with speeding, but “careless driving” which was most certainly not what I was doing at the time.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Old 05-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #80

HI TriGem2K, Regardless of the what the penalty will be I'm glad nobody got hurt and i sure hope you learned your lesson, we all did something stupid at some point in our lives and the important thing is that we learn from our mistakes and move on to better things.

I lost my cousin in a car accident and guess what he was doing when his Toyota Supra became part of a lamp post. He was only 24 years young

Sometimes we do get second chances and we don't realize it.

I always say that we can't buy experience but it sure costs us a lot

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Closed Thread