View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #63
Grizzly

@ TriGem. It's a shame the Officers didn't get the BMW. 154 miles an hour, in a speed contest, in a car also occupied by his wife??? That's friggin' stupid. Was the baby strapped in her car seat also??? That would complete the picture, wouldn't it?

If you decide to kill yourself, whatever, but don't take out your loved ones when you go. I can't tell you how many times I've seen these young boys mash up their sport bikes with their girlfriends on the back. WTF???

Be very careful taking some of this advice. Trying to place blame on the BMW is basically admitting that you were drag racing and asking for a whole lot more trouble than you already have.

As far as telling your parents about what happened? I think it's a good idea. Better to get in front of it now and get it over with. Your Dad's going to find out sooner or later. You might as well be the one to tell him. If he finds out by some other means, and realizes that you've hidden something or deceived him, that adds a whole other dimension, and potentially damages your relationship. It's not worth the scant possibility that he won't find out.

On the issue of chases vs. no chases, I can see both sides of the argument, but I will tell you this. If I'm a bad guy and I know the cops can't chase me, I'm going to run. And I'll remain free to victimize someone else. Maybe the offender is only running from the traffic violation - maybe not. The only way to find out is to run him down, catch him and beat it out of him...um, um, um, I mean ask him nicely, after reading him his Miranda rights and buying him a cold soda.

Are all chases smart? No. Are some chases necessary? Absolutely. The problem is knowing when a chase has become too dangerous and being able to cut it off. At that point, competent supervision becomes imperative. When you're chasing a bad guy, you get tunnel vision. Your adrenaline gets up and you become as intent on catching him, as he is on escaping you. As well as you may know the rules, judgement can become clouded when the chase is in full swing. That's when a good supervisor, monitoring the radio traffic, is necessary to bring things back into perspective. Some chases should continue due to the nature of the crime. Some should end, sooner rather than later.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet