Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #1

stereo upgrade starting monday

greetings i am starting my upgrade which consists of
1 pioneer 9800 bt head unit
1 ipod hookup

2 sets of jl audio xr 650 csi component speakers
1 set in the door with the tweeter in the dashboard speaker location
1 set in the modified rear storage compartment

1 jl audio 8v3 subwoofer located in the passenger footwell in a custom fiberglass enclosure
1 jl audio 8v3 subwoofer located in the front trunk (not sure if i will do this but i will let the installer go with it if he thinks it will help)

1 jl audio 500 watt/5 channel amp located in the front trunk

1 pioneer 12 cd changer located in the front trunk

all will be as stealth as possible except for the obvious
hope it all turns out well wish me luck

this should get my 2003 lapis blue boxster thumping
:troll:

surfbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #2

While you're having custom fiberglass work done, you should see how much the installer will charge to make 5 boxes. It will probably cut down on your cost if you sell a few. I would definetly be interested if they and you would want to make another quick penny.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #3

Another recommendation and what I plan to do is- instead of the pioneer 9800 check out the pioneer avic d1 for the double din slots under the dash. It only runs a few hundrew more, looks much more stock, and gives you the navigation, backup camera, ipod hookup, touchscreen controls, and if you use a 6 dvd changer instead of cd, you can watch movies too.

I have one in the truck and love it. Plan to mod up the box too.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #4

soo....any GPS/dvd players with bluetooth built in for cell phone usage that you guys recommend?

Also I want a fiberglass subwoofer box for my footwell get me a deal!

Thnx in advance!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...IMG00612-1.jpg

Last edited by ROMES; 04-14-2007 at 05:20 PM.
ROMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:46 AM   #5

I just got a Pioneer AVIC-D3 and it came with the backup camera, but I don't even know where the backup camera can be installed.

Plus I don't think you need a backup camera on a boxster.
mjstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:11 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallion
I just got a Pioneer AVIC-D3 and it came with the backup camera, but I don't even know where the backup camera can be installed.

Plus I don't think you need a backup camera on a boxster.

Did you get it from Crutchfield's? I was looking at the D3 and it comes with a backup cam. I'm thinking of getting it for my Box, but I'm a noob when it comes to car stereos. How much work is involved installing it?

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #7

i am happy with the 9800bt thats why i bought it. just keeping you guys up to date with whats going on in my boxster which wont suffer from crappy radio syndrome. i dont need back up camera's or dvds i drive the car and watch television in my living room. and my kids go in the suv so no need for dvd's in my boxster. i will post some photo's by the end of the week when my stereo upgrade should be complete. also i will ask my installer to make more subwoofer enclosures for the jl audio 8v3 subwoofer and maybe sell them on ebay. make a killing and set the market, just like in the perfect storm.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #8

I am also doing an 8V3 in the passenger footwell, so its possible I could have boxes available as well to those who are interested. PM me for details.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #9

i would be interested in the footwell sub enclosure for an 8inch jl subwoofer. please post the price that your shop is charging you, if you dont mind...
jackhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #10

ok dropped off the car this morning with all my new equipment . will have it back by friday i was promised. lets see what happenned
review of new equipment
2 sets jl audio xr650 csi components
2 jl audio 8v3 subs
1 pioneer 9800 bt
1 pioneer 12 cd changer
1 jl audio 500/5 amp
1 ipod mount
will ask the installer about making extra passenger subwoofer enclosures.
i feel like a kid waiting for christmas to come
Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #11

Cool, Bill. Can't wait to see the pics when it's done.

BTW, where did you drop it off?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #12

i live in long beach new york. i am a nyc firefighter and work in far rockaway queens. there is a stereo shop nearby the firehouse that does all this specialty stuff. they do all the rap stars cars so i figured they must know how to get some bass in a car. i saw some of the guys custom work also very clean good with the fiberglass.
:dance:
Old 04-17-2007, 02:58 AM   #13

That is similar to my rig which sounds pretty good but still needs a subwoofer. It is especially useful to have the multiband equalizer with found with the better pioneer head units. I then use a 1/3 octive real time analyzer and pink noise generator to try to dial in the equalizer settings to the car.

Pioneer Head unit
JL Audio Slash series 5-channel amp
2 X 6" JL audio speakers in the door
2 S 5" JL audio speakers in the dash (needed to mod for larger speakers)
4 X 3" JL audio speakers in the rear

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfbill
i am happy with the 9800bt thats why i bought it. just keeping you guys up to date with whats going on in my boxster which wont suffer from crappy radio syndrome. i dont need back up camera's or dvds i drive the car and watch television in my living room. and my kids go in the suv so no need for dvd's in my boxster. i will post some photo's by the end of the week when my stereo upgrade should be complete. also i will ask my installer to make more subwoofer enclosures for the jl audio 8v3 subwoofer and maybe sell them on ebay. make a killing and set the market, just like in the perfect storm.

I'm also seriously interested in the enclosure if you can have the shop make extra ones. Email me with the price if you think that could happen!

Zev
deef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #15

Moi aussi, let me know a price on the enclosure.
Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:03 AM   #16

picking my box up in 2 hours at 12 oclock today saturday april 21. went to the install shop to hear it it sounds awsome the bass is thumping and 4 jl audio speakers (2 xr650 csi's and 2 xr 650 cxi's ) sound awsome. so happy with the clean almost stealth look i also had them tint the windows 35% tint looks good. after i bring it home i will desnorkle and think of my next mods. i think bigger wheels and tires. any suggestions
i will post photos tomorrow unless i am still driving around. i feel like a kid in a candy store
regards
bill :dance:
Old 04-21-2007, 06:07 AM   #17

Way cool, Bill. Can't wait to see the pictures.

I think I've narrowed my receiver choice to 2 units. I can't decide if I should do my speakers or not at the same time. I've got the Bose upgrade in the Box now.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #18

upgrade is awsome but with all these friggen new toys its taken me 2 days to figure everything out. it took me about 4 hours to figure out hooking up the blue tooth phone and pairing it to the pioneer head unit. the thing was you have to go into the lg phone and have it go into discover mode which it does for 60 seconds. after i figured out that it worked so easy once you set it to the head unit it finds it everytime.
i promise i will send photos soon

bill the happy fireman
:dance:

the jl audio speakers and the subwoofer really hit hard and thumb awsome.

i am still trying to figure out how to lower the bass cause its knocking me out

Last edited by surfbill; 04-22-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 05-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #19

^^BUMP^^

Just wanted to bump this up to the top again. I'm thinking about getting the Pioneer
Avic D3 for my 987. My biggest reason is that I want to be able to play my Ipod in my car, and have satellite radio. I already have a portable TomTom for nav, which is great by the way, so I guess this will just be nav system number two. But I really don't like too many of the single din head units. I would really appreciate it if those of you that have aftermarket radio's in your 987 would post pics.

Also, anyone with Bose ugrade just the head unit? how did that go? Thanks!
Jonesy08054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #20

Yes... bump... I'd like to see pics of the enclosure...

Slowly my mind turns to what I can do with my stereo setup... I'd like a bit more volume out of it, and some low end. Doesn't need to thump like a rapper's car, since I don't listen to that crap, but a nice bassline in some hard rock is good to hear!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote