Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #21

Just went through this

Although its my first post, I'll put my $.02

I just went through this same thought process. I was originally looking for the same cars as you. An early S was my pre-drive favorite.

When I finally got around to driving a couple of cars, the 987 base was way more composed and comfortable for a daily driver. I like performance as much as anyone, but the difference made me feel much more confident in pushing the better composed car, vs. the more raw early S. Plus as you have stated, and many others, its still under warranty and its newer etc. etc.

The 10 hp difference, I couldn't feel, as the car is quick enough for me (for now). To top it off, the dealer found me an '05 base, super low miles (break in miles) w/ the options that I wanted, and a few I didn't(!) at a great price (mid 30's).

I jumped at it, and haven't looked back. These past three weeks the only problem I've had is that my face hurts from smiling so damn much

Jason

jderiansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #22

leaning towards 2003 S

Well, this purchase has not happened as quickly as I would have liked (notice the age of my inital post) but I just ordered my 'blank check' today, and will be shopping in earnest starting this weekend.

As it stands, I am leaning to the 2003 S, though the comments by djomlas and jderiansf still weigh on my mind. The one I am focused on now has 20,500 miles, Tip., Speed Yellow (matching belts - nice touch), Bose, 18" Turbo Twist wheels, and 4 new tires (subject of another post) but lacks PSM.

I thought that perhaps the delay / wait would have brought a 987 S in to range (willing to spend $35k+ for the right car), but from what I've seen, they are both hard to come by on the used market, and still very pricy ($40k and over).

Anyone want to add any final thoughts before I head out with check in hand?
Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #23

You aren't really defining how much above $35k you will go for a 987S. I think a low mileage S could be had for $40k even, maybe even $39k. Keep in mind, with the 987 you have at least a year of warranty left and the newer styling.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #24

You said it will be mostly a city driver

So stick or TIP?

How long are you going to keep it? Is resale important? And how does it influence the choice of color? (Resale differs by up to 20%!!!)

Are you willing to travel for the car (its still cold up north and deals are better when the streets are covered with white stuff that isn't sand)?

I've had 2 Boxsters. A '99 with 201HP and a '01 with 245. I see no difference in the fun factor.

If I were buying today, I'd definitely buy a base 987 over a 986 just for the hundreds of little improvements they made between models.

Some points of advice...drive several...don't fall in love with one (there are hundreds for sale today)..and get a PPI.

Some additional thoughts here
would apply to buying either.

Get to work, you've missed months of fun since your initial posting.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #25

Here's a sharp one in Jax that's been for sale for a few months. Might be able to talk the owner into selling for $37. You didn't mention trading anything in. If not, you can look at private owner sales. They generally have to take less because most people want to trade something, so to entice buyers they have to price their cars for less.

Good luck with your search.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=235726990
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #26

This might be unpopular -- but its true -- $35K is too much to spend for any except the most exceptional 986S's (like a special edition). For that money, I'm buying an 987 in a heartbeat.

If you go the 986S route (I did), buy one that is flawless, low miles and minty in the mid 20's. And, get it inspected by an expert before you buy.

Last edited by fatmike; 02-12-2008 at 06:10 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #27

Sloan,

I have to agree with Fatmike. I just recently went through the same dilemma that you are going through right now. I had to choose between 05 987 vs. 04 986S Silver Anniversary Edition. I test drove endless number of Boxsters.... there are a lot of choices out there.... do not be hasty, do not get smitten with the one ride.

I could not tell the difference in feel (straight line acceleration) between the standard 987 and 986S. However, the 986S was meticulously maintained with low miles (28 K) and felt so much better.... crisper turn in with the ease of the short-shifter. In the end, I chose the 2004 986S Silver Anniversary, it is nice and low to the ground and the spacers fill out the fenders.

I was able to haggle down to 33.5K from the initial price of 37.9K. The seller was easily agreeable.... so I always wonder if I should have pushed for a lesser price?

Anyways... in one short summer I have pushed the Boxster to 31K and cannot stop smiling

I am a newbie but IMHO.... get a carfax history, PPI (a must from someone you trust) then go with your instincts. No matter what you choose, it is going to be a good one. Most importantly, have fun with your new ride
Old 02-13-2008, 05:09 AM   #28

thanks for the input

In answer to the questions: it will be a daily driver, but really just for fun, as my "commute" is about four blocks if I take the car at all. I will likely keep the car for 6-8 years - and it will be pampered and garage kept, with covered parking when I do drive to work. Color does matter: Speed Yellow or silver being first choices, would consider grey or red - others are out. As far as how far over $35k - not much, perhaps $37.5 for the 'perfect' car, but that's it - I need to leave some margin for tax, tags, title, etc..

I would much prefer Tiptronic, but will consider manual - traffic here can be terrible, and after having had an automatic for the first time with my present vehicle, I will admit that it has been a pleasure.

If you see how long I've been looking, you'll know I'm NOT rushing this, but I'll admit my patience is growing thin - as mikefocke observed, I've missed almost a YEAR of fun since I started this search. I will look outside the immediate area, but not countrywide.

Why (as of last night when I posted) was I leaning towards the 986S? Since I want Tip., I think the extra torque of the larger motor will be appreciated, I slightly prefer the styling of the 986S, all the 'goodies' that come with the S, and, as boko mentioned long ago, I will always be asked, "did you get the 'S'" ... (and in my heart, I worry that if I don't, I'll regret it.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #29

Not to sound negative but I am having a hell of a time getting close to any of the recommended price ranges for cars mentioned in this thread.

I have been looking mostly at CPO'd cars from dealers. But my recent experience with three dealers suggest that the price ranges people are giving for 986s and 987 are not obtainable. At least not from a dealer. WHen I suggest to them that their prices are too high and make a counter offer they give me a line that they are having a great month and that is the best they can do. In a couple of cases I am looking at cars that have been on their lots at least 4-5 months!

When I check out privite sellers on online sites I find very few in my area. And those that I find also have the cars listed at high prices. Mid 30's for 03-04 986s.

Ideas?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #30

You're not the only one

I agree with you peakpro, and wonder when mikefocke says there are "hundreds for sale", where he is looking. In a literal sense he may be correct, but add in my year restrictions, color choices, price & milegage preferences, and there are only a handful. The link provided by husker boxster is the first sub-$40k 987S I recall seeing, and that is from a private seller. While I'm o.k. with that in theory, in practice, interest rates are much higher when making a private purchase, and I'm already pre-approved at a great rate for a purchase from a dealer - over the life of the financing, the rate difference comes close to equalizing the higher initial price when buying from a dealer, and some would argue there is some greater peace of mind with a dealer purchase, particularly if I could find a CPO (which does not seem likely).

987 prices are much (much!) higher - another reason the 2003 or 2004 S is looking so appealing.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #31

I paid $10K under your "target" for my 986S. 11K miles. Litronics, PSM, rain sensing wipers, rear compartment, windstops, etc. Flawless exterior, barely even a mark on the skid plate underneath...

Private seller w/tail-end of a warranty.

Keep looking.

-
Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #32

Don't rush your purchase. Take your time. Test drive as many local ones as you can. Even if you don't intend on buying, it will allow you to filter out 1) Options you don't like or need - like maybe you really do like/want sport seats, or 18" wheels, or HIDs or... 2) Lets you see how Boxster owners maintain their cars (some do it well, some not so well) 3) Lets you see what wears out (interior wise) on the car 4) Will let you see how different models/options make the cars perform.

From recollection,
2005 2.7 has 240-245hp
2003 S has 258 hp

Thats only a 13-18hp difference.. Not much. Yes, the 3.2S should have more torque, which is nice, and it may weigh 100lbs or so less, but since you don't intend on tracking the car, the actual, "real world" performance difference may be immaterial.

You may also find, in your testing, that the interior of one model is preferred over the other which could sway your purchase.

As mentioned, yes, there are litterally hundreds of Boxsters on the market. Remember, more than 200,000 have been built and about 1/2 have come to the us. Sure, you may struggle to find a particular year, but the search can be nearly as much fun as the acqusition.

Be adventurous. Once you decide on the Model/year you want, look outside just South Florida, or Florida.. maybe the perfect one is sitting in Arizona, or Colorado. Traveling to buy a "new" car can be quite fun too.

Not to rain on all "550 Anniversary" fans, but it seems to me, over the years, the only Porsches that seem to "gain in value" in 20 years are those who have a genuine performance advantage vs the regular model.. and usually have a lighterweight (ie RSA, Clubsport, RS type models).

At this point in time, I would not buy ANY boxster with thoughts of value appreciation.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #33

Hundreds available

When I want to know what a reasonable price will be for a car (a question I get asked perhaps every other day as people read my guide to buying a Boxster) I immediately do the following...

I go to www.cars.com (only because it is both national and because it has a good search engine that allows me to locate only a specific model year).

I use their advanced search of used cars.

I pick my Porsche Boxster and model year and add that I want to see "all" miles from my zip code. I want to see the pricing all over the country to get the largest sample.

When I do that, I could get well over a thousand Boxsters of all model years or generally 100+ of any given year. So when I say there are hundreds available, there are many hundreds because cars.com is only one of the advertising sites, there must be a dozen others and, while there is some duplication, there are cars unique to each site.

So yes there are hundreds of Boxsters out there for sale right now.

I then throw out the 5 highest and the 5 lowest prices. That leaves me with a middle range...it omits the cars with the halo effect (its mine so it must be worth more), those where the dealer has too much invested in the car, and those with some history problem such that they are being dumped.

Once I figure out the mid range, I look at where a specific car is located. The prices posted are asking prices. But who pays asking price? You expect a bigger discount during a time when there will be no local buyers for convertibles because the weather is just too cold. But you always expect some discount...say 5 to 10% lower than asking. 15% in the winter unless that has already been priced in.

Porsche cars are ones most people own until their circumstances change. They get married, get divorced, have kids, lose their job, get deployed, etc. So there are always more cars for sale than other makes. Both of mine were 2-owner-before-me cars with the average ownership being 18 months. Both had been owned in multiple states. Both have been lots of fun and few problems.

One I bought in the first blush of spring. One I first saw when it was covered with snow and salt and I had to move the snow shovel to even sit in the passenger seat. Guess which one I got the better deal on.

I recommend stopping someone who owns one and asking them if they know of any cars or local sources. Look in the local classifieds or craigslist.org. Drive a few. Then decide.

Last edited by mikefocke; 02-13-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling/typo
Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #34

Sloan

There is a guy with a national reputation for his knowledge of Boxsters in Florida who is very wired into the scene and who has a business which, among other things, does an excellent PPI. He does everything from preparing a racing Boxster to producing products for Boxsters to conducting tech training sessions at national Boxster get-togethers.

Pedros PPIs

I highly recommend him based on reports from people who have used him. He is very well known on PPBB , another Boxster forum.

Get in touch, let him know what you are looking for and then use him for the PPI. He may know of a car that is just right. The site has a picture of his forms so you can see the type of inspections he does.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #35

thank you mikefocke

TO: mikefocke. I appreciate your thoughtful responses, and I already did as you advised and expanded my search. I stand corrected, in that in a literal sense there are 'hundreds' of Boxsters for sale, however when I narrow back down to ones I would actually want, not so many. I think I have a decent idea of the price ranges - I've been searching for long enough now that I have a sense of what is 'right', the possible exception being the value of some of the more obscure options, and whether the 2004 550 special editions are worth the premium many of their sellers seem to think they should command.

Thank you as well for the information on Pedro's garage. He is very local to me, so that could be an excellent resource.

I am hoping to get out to look at at least two cars this coming weekend - the 2003 S with about 20k miles, 18" wheels w/ NEW tires, Tiptronic & Bose (but no PSM) that I mentioned a few posts ago, and a 2004 base with 8k, Bose, Tip. (again, no PSM) that looks absolutely spotless. Asking for the 2003 S is 32.5 (I got the sense they would take $30k) and asking for the 2004 is $28.6k. I will report back on my findings if I make it up to see both of them.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #36

Lets talk about options

They add perhaps 10% of their value to the selling price so they are almost ignorable in the pricing equation, but they can be important in why you buy a car.

Here is what I'd like in my car:

Litronics because you need to see as far as you can at night
Porsche Stability Management (PSM) because I'm no longer a trained in emergency situations driver
Windscreen because it makes driving with the top down possible in a wider range of weather/speeds.
Heated seats for the same reason.
18" Carrera Wheels because I like them and they are light contributing to better handling via unsprung weight minimization
On Board Computer just because it breaks up the long trips to fiddle with it.
Cruise control so I can take long trips
Any Old Radio because Becker radios (including Bose) are so crappy I'd want to put in a good sound system with MP3/IPOD/BlueTooth (Not amped up, I value my ears, just good reception) and better speakers.
Storage box above engine so I could mount rear speakers there)
Michelin Rib tires (because they are great summer tires in all summer conditions)
In your location, a light color like silver or white with a light interior.
A top with a glass rear window.
My choice of transmission (I like the TIP but some don't).

Things I wouldn't value from Porsche:
GPS because theirs is crappy and updates aren't available any more.
Any radio gear because theirs is crappy.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre shags
"If you go with 987 get rid of those MR2 side intakes in favor of the Cayman intakes."

I think this would look sharp (although I don't know what an MR2 is) but the dealership clerk said they would not fit directly, but perhaps could be modified to fit.

Have you seen this done? Porsche or aftermarket?
Thanks (although now I think my car less than perfect for the first time).
Here you go Pierre....simple mod and it requires you to change the boxster insert to a cayman insert....really easy, getting the vents off is another story....

btw.....987, better styling in my opinion, much better interior in my opinion and I test drove an 05 G35 and I don't recall it looking anything like my 987.....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d

Not to rain on all "550 Anniversary" fans, but it seems to me, over the years, the only Porsches that seem to "gain in value" in 20 years are those who have a genuine performance advantage vs the regular model.. and usually have a lighterweight (ie RSA, Clubsport, RS type models).

At this point in time, I would not buy ANY boxster with thoughts of value appreciation.
I agree racer_d,

I do not think that my 550 Anniversary will hold its value any more than any other 04 Boxster S. As you know, over a thousand of these were sold in the US in 2004, out of a production run of 1953. (not a very limited limited edition ) The difference between the stock Boxster S and the 550 Anniversary is so miniscule. 6 HP difference, spacers for a wider stance, short shifter and lowered ride height. The main reason why I bought mine was due to meticulous maintenance and right price.

Sloan..... looks like you are getting excellent cars for very nice prices. You know what I paid for mine. Make your purchase, get out there and post some pictures.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #39

A little late to the thread, but some of my thoughts;

-You are allways best to buy the newest car you can afford in good condition.
-In the real world the base boxster (espesially the 987) is very quick and unless your a hp junkie you will not feel let down
-Porsche never releases a worse version of a car, and the 987 is a step forward over the 986 in all areas

-all that said I would never trade my 986 's' for a base 987, but I am a track junkie and have done a lot of work to my car....

Marc

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #40

helpful comments

Thank you all for your input. Let me briefly respond to a few specific comments (in no particular order).

Super66 - I did not mean to say the G35 and 987 interiors looked the same, only that, to my eye, the 986 felt/looked more Porsche, the 987 trending more to the Japanese style - not that there is anything inherently wrong with that, just that my preference was perhaps more 'old school'.

mikefocke - you have excellent options, almost all of which I agree with & would like to have (though I've used the heated seats in my current car only a handful of times - remember I'm in South Florida - the land of eternal heat). I had not heard that the Boxster's Bose system is so poor - the one in my current car is good (not great, but quite good) and I've learned from my own personal experiences that if I can avoid having to install a bunch of aftermarket stereo equipment, I'd like to. Is mikefocke's rather negative opinion of the Bose system widely held? Anyone else want to weigh-in on that?

racer_d - I would not buy the Anniversary edition with any fantasy that it would actually appreciate in value, I do like them though (asthetics and standard 'options') and would hope that if I did get one, it might not depreciate as much as a 'standard' car over the 6-8 years I am likely to own it. That said, I have not found any on the market right now that are under consideration, and neither car I want to see this coming weekend is the special edition.

Finally, a clarification addressing the price comments - I am not seriously looking at any 986 S' for $35k or more (they are all less - like asking $32k and change) I just said I would spend that much or a bit more for my 'perfect' car, and I guess I meant a really exceptional 986 S or a 987, but as I mentioned, I've only seen one 987 S under $40k, and as of yesterday, a day after husker boxster gave me that lead, it's gone ...

Last edited by Sloan; 02-14-2008 at 05:39 AM. Reason: clarification