View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Perfectlap

Well I look at it this way if your are going to go 986S look for the best deal you can find. Lowest miles and lowest price. I see no major reason to point you toward a 2003 vs. a 2000, 2001 or 2002. There's even some data that the 2000-2002 seem to be the least prone to break downs. Rather than concetration on year, Instead try to find one with a CPO. Why? well a guy on Rennlist just got a free of charge rebuilt engine from his local Porsche dealer after going in with his 02 in for a new throw out bearing. Since it was CPO they found a leaky RMS, dug deeper and found the engine needed to come out. No charge. With out the CPO they would have just told the guy he had an RMS and told him to have a nice day.

I've driven the 987 2.7 and I don't really see anything other than a marginal difference in all driving aspects. Kind of reminds of the 996 GT3 owners who feel the 997 GT3 comes at a significant price increase without a significant trade up in measureable performance. One guy I know spent a boat load on his 996 GT3, spent a boat load on top end modifications and predicts it will be a full year before there is a 997 GT3 than can go faster than his 996 GT3. Now he's talking about GT2 because he's convinced a naturally apsirated 911 can't be made significantly faster anymore while the price is creeping into full blown exotic territory.

The 987 3.4 well that sounds like a Boxster I would consider trading in my 986S for. Or a RUF supercharged CaymanS.

At the end of the day for its a question of will a $20-25K CPO 986S tip give you the same enjoyment as $10-$20K more 987 tip? THe bean counter in me says it will and you will lose less money during the depreciation of both.

p.s.
if you go with 987 get rid of those MR2 side intakes in favor of the Cayman intakes.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-12-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote