Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #1

purchase choice - 2003 S or 2005 2.7?

As soon as I sell my current vehicle, I'm ready to purchase my long awaited Boxster. As this could happen relatively soon, I'm going to be faced with a tough choice - a 2003 S, or 2005 2.7

For better or worse, it will be used primarially for city driving, with relatively little opportunity to really 'stretch its legs', so I'm thinking that the newer design, lower miles, warranty etc. of the 2005 might be a better bet, but I thought I should get opinions from the aficianados here. Thoughts?

(I'll only be considering pampered, low-mileage vehicles in either case - and find that they are at similar price points)

sloancarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:59 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
get the newer model, they should be in the same range power wise and money wise, but the newer one is a more refined maching, and just simply newer...althoug some people do prefer the 986 styling over the 987 like my father...
good luck with your decision, and let us know how things work out
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #3

IMHO..my choice would be the 2003 S...why? because when i was in your situation, my choice was 99' w/ 47k miles or 01 S w/ 55k miles and a price difference of 6k...I should have gone to more HP.

If you want HP = 03' S
If you want newer w/ warranty = 05 Base and just buy an "S" badge at Pep Boys
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #4

Well I look at it this way if your are going to go 986S look for the best deal you can find. Lowest miles and lowest price. I see no major reason to point you toward a 2003 vs. a 2000, 2001 or 2002. There's even some data that the 2000-2002 seem to be the least prone to break downs. Rather than concetration on year, Instead try to find one with a CPO. Why? well a guy on Rennlist just got a free of charge rebuilt engine from his local Porsche dealer after going in with his 02 in for a new throw out bearing. Since it was CPO they found a leaky RMS, dug deeper and found the engine needed to come out. No charge. With out the CPO they would have just told the guy he had an RMS and told him to have a nice day.

I've driven the 987 2.7 and I don't really see anything other than a marginal difference in all driving aspects. Kind of reminds of the 996 GT3 owners who feel the 997 GT3 comes at a significant price increase without a significant trade up in measureable performance. One guy I know spent a boat load on his 996 GT3, spent a boat load on top end modifications and predicts it will be a full year before there is a 997 GT3 than can go faster than his 996 GT3. Now he's talking about GT2 because he's convinced a naturally apsirated 911 can't be made significantly faster anymore while the price is creeping into full blown exotic territory.

The 987 3.4 well that sounds like a Boxster I would consider trading in my 986S for. Or a RUF supercharged CaymanS.

At the end of the day for its a question of will a $20-25K CPO 986S tip give you the same enjoyment as $10-$20K more 987 tip? THe bean counter in me says it will and you will lose less money during the depreciation of both.

p.s.
if you go with 987 get rid of those MR2 side intakes in favor of the Cayman intakes.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-12-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 AM   #5

good feedback so far ...

I'm thankful and impressed that I am already getting such thoughtful feedback on my inquiry. This may serve to instantly discredit me (I hope not) but I will admit that I was focused on the '03 S because of reliability ratings / owner reported feedback published in a major national consumer magazine that claims the 03' is significantly 'better' than '02 or '04 as far as quality / expense of major repairs. The sample size they used to compile the ratings is not published with the data, but they do have many vehicles they don't publish on because they recognize the sample size was/is too small for the 'rating' to be significant. (So I was somewhat inclined to put at least some faith in these 'ratings'.

I'm prepared to spend as much as $35k (perhaps even a little bit more for the 'perfect' car), so I think I will have some good options. I tend to keep cars for a long time, so I'm not overly concerned about the immediate resale prospects. I think I'd like to have the Bose system (I like it in my current car) but am not sure what other options are considered key. Because of traffic here, and because I'd like for my wife to be able to enjoy the car too, I would prefer TipTronic (I know - another strike against me). Other suggestions are welcome .....
Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #6

Hey, Sloan..I have a TIP Tranny too and i love it...on twisties, the only thing I worry about is downshifting it as long as it's in sports mode (M)..for 35k that you are willing to spend, you will get alot of option just be patience....

i don't know much about options when it comes to performance but here's what I'm going to look at:
Litronic
Bose system
Upgraded Front & Rear Bumper w/ side skirts
18" wheels
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #7

If you are going to keep the car a while I would wait and see if a 987S comes on the radar. Very few naturally aspirated Porsches given their overall production over the years have had more than 250 HP, an in a roadster its almost unheard of for Porsche.
Given the slumping Boxster sales I don't think its entirely out of the question that Porsche pulls the plug on the Boxster in the future, making those (280-300hp) 3.2 and 3.4 987s rare birds within the 1 million+ production of Porsche sports cars.
I might opt for the smaller 18" wheels if you will driving within the city allot thoug..
19" tires are not cheap...

How much of a difference is there in 2nd hand 987 vs 2nd hand 987S these days?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-12-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #8

There have been cases where brand new base 987 (low options) have been picked up for sub $40k. Consider picking up a new 07 or 06 base 987 from remaining stock at a northern-based dealer this winter, if you're not in a huge hurry. Within a year, you should expect to see used 05 987S (without too many options) also go for sub $40k. I would get a base 987 (vs 986S), and get a 987S if possible. The 987 is a major re-design of many components (not just the engine) after learning the do's and don'ts on the 986. Either way, you won't go wrong. Good luck and keep us posted.
Z.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #9

...or just PM edwin about his red cutie :
FS: 2004 Boxster S, 11,300 miles...MINT
Z.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #10

more confused than ever?

As helpful as all of the replies have been, I'm perhaps more confused than ever about what to do. Naturally, I LOVE the 987S, and that would be my first choice, but they are not within the existing budget. While I'm not in a big hurry (summer here is so warm / too warm), I'm not going to 'hold my breath' waiting for the 987S to go sub-$40k, because, as I mentioned, I am looking for a pampered, low-miles car, and I don't see a 987S fitting that description going sub $40k any time real soon. Realistically, I still see it as a choice between 986 S and a 'base' 987.

Let me try to ask it this way to add a new dynamic to the discussion - what were the most important / most appreciated improvements/changes in the 987 (other than exterior styling and power?) As suggested by unklekraker, the security of a warranty and having the new design are quite attractive - and it was also observed that there were many subtle refinements/upgrades incorporated in to the 987. On the other hand, being able to get an S with all of the 'goodies' keeps the 986 in the running .... the difficulty in these choices is why I posted here in the first place, knowing that this community of owners and enthusiasts would help me think this through armed with more information. To give a little bit more insight in to my current thinking, the appeal of the 986 S is not as much about the little bit of extra power / displacement (though that's certainly good) as it is knowing that I'd be getting a vehicle with more of the options that I would like to have. I am already a little bit concerned that if I tried to get a 987 in my price range that it would be too 'stripped down', and that I'd be frustrated by that.

P.S. As suggested by z12358 I did take a look at edwin's '04 S - beautiful, but: 1) red is not my first choice; 2) I'm assuming it's not TipTronic and; 3) I'm not yet ready to buy today (obvious, since I can't even decide which model/year I want yet) - I figure it will be at least another month before I've been able to clean up / fix up and sell the current ride.

P.P.S. - Thank you to all who are taking the time to help me with this - it is appreciated.

Last edited by sloancarr; 04-12-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #11

The question is if you prefer more speed or better looks (subjective although I do prefer the 987 looks).

I am more of a speed guy and in this case I would get S (I current own an 04 986S). Not that the 987 base wont suffice but after sometime driving it might actually cause regrets - after you get used to the style I mean.

Most important factor also is not exterior looks as they look very similar. The interior redesign is what I Love in the new 987 models.

Up to you, whatever you do though you are buying one of the best cars in the world.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #12

hey sloan, sounds like you are having a major dilemna..ease up brotha!
Patience is the key

qoute taken on sloan;s post:
I am already a little bit concerned that if I tried to get a 987 in my price range that it would be too 'stripped down', and that I'd be frustrated by that.

-you are so right on this one
A big point on having the most option on the Boxster that you are buying are: "YOu could stay away from slippery slopes of Mod's or being bitten by mod' bugs"

Good Luck, my friend for your quest
keep us posted!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #13

You're complicating things too much. If the market is telling you that both choices are priced similarly, then that's your answer in terms of generally perceived value. You won't get much more than that from this forum. You need to do some testing and answering work on your own to make your own PERSONAL decision that will reflect your PERSONAL preferences. Go to a dealer that has an 986S in inventory, and test drive it with the 987 back to back. See if the new 987 interior catches your eye. See if the kick from the 986S 3.2 liters matters to you more than the less fancy interior. Take your time, look at different color combos of both cars and let it sink in. Then follow your heart and pull the trigger. You can't do wrong.
Z.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #14

torque and powerband used in city driving

Another consideration might be the low-mid range torque. While the base 987 has hp numbers that approach those of the 986S, it torque curve is not a broad, with its the smaller displacement. I have not driven a tip, but in most cars, auto trannys can magnify frustrations caused the lack of torque. I am not refering to standing starts, where an auto can be useful, but moving through city traffic and passing can be frustrating in a car with lower torque output and the inability to instantly select your desired gear.
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #15

It is a tough call 987 vs 986 S - But some reality helps

I can't comment about the US but here in the UK the reality of the market and public perception starts to kick in. I should start by saying that I recently chose an 03 3.2S with 16k miles. Mint condition although a few too many previous owners.

The main reason for choosing the car was because it was from a local performance/prestige garage. it was the right colour inside/out, it had low mileage, it was right on budget, came with a 1yr warranty, and it was an "S".

But lets get public perception out of the way. Everyone including me wanted an "S" and it doesn't matter that the standard 987 is near on performance. It is emotional, and the first question anybody asks. "Did you get an S".

The market prices higher mileage very low spec cars with 17" wheels that look poor on a 987 at a few £k more. Yes it will be 2yrs younger, the interior is so much better and performance isn't much different to a 986S, however to my eye the cars just don't look desirable enough. That is why they seem good value. A 987S is £7k more and in the slow depreciating world of the Boxster that is a gulf.

So in conclusion. I think if you find the standard spec 987 desirable and you can ignore everyone asking why you didn't buy an S (Including yourself) then it is a far better buying proposition vs an 03 986 S.
boko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #16

preference might be developing

While I have not yet had the chance to follow the excellent suggestion of z12358 of a back-to-back test drive, I've been influenced a bit both by feedback here (and particularly the most recent comments from mtch about better low/mid-range tourque in the S) and what I'm finding in the local marketplace. I'm also just not that impressed with the 'new' interior look for, as I think I've seen mentioned elsewhere, while I understand why it is viewed by many as a big improvement, to me it makes it look more like the interior of the G35 coupe that I considered and rejected long ago.

I now have my eye on a particular '04 S 50th Anniversary 550 Spyder Limited Edition with under 10k miles (w/ Tip, Bose, PSM, etc.). Current car to the shop on Tuesday for pre-sale maint. items - and I am going to get in touch with seller of the '04 to arrange a look. If anyone has thoughts about that Anniversary edition car, it would be great. Thanks. (P.S. - I would post a link to the prospective car, but I have not yet looked to see if that is permitted by the forum rules ....)

Last edited by sloancarr; 04-15-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #17

987 vs 986

I own a 986S and have owned a 986 base. Both with TIP as I was driving in dense city traffic to and from work. Not my only car, just my preferred car.

The 1999 base had 201 HP, the 2001 S has 252. Significant difference? Not in any normal driving. I'm sure there is a measurable difference, but either car exceeded my driving ability (and in my youth, I used to race on some pretty demanding tracks).

I've also owned a 914 that must have had around 100HP and I could have as much fun in it as in the S. Ditto the little Alfa 1300CC. All these roadsters gave the open air fun feel.

Is there a difference..sure there is. But I drove the Alfa 1300 at over 100 MPH and was amazed how smooth it was getting there. I still remember the time I went to pass a big truck and looked down at my speedo as I completed the pass and read triple digits. You don't have to have a big engine.

I've only driven the base 987 a couple of blocks. The comfort improvement in the seats and in the seat placement relative to the roll bar (my torso is tall) were significant. I just felt that it handled crisper (it was a base stick) and was a significant improvement all around. I preferred the look of the 986 but the difference wasn't that much and it is a personal preference.

Now to me, I wouldn't spend the $20k it would cost me to upgrade (I'm not rich). But if I were buying at the same price, I'd take the 987 base with reasonable equipment (heated seats, etc) over a 987 with more options (because some of those options became standard on the 987).

The 987 base has more HP than either of my other 3 cars. I think it would get you there.

Buy the choice is yours ... go drive them both. Either will be a fun car.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloancarr
I now have my eye on a particular '04 S 50th Anniversary 550 Spyder Limited Edition with under 10k miles (w/ Tip, Bose, PSM, etc.). If anyone has thoughts about that Anniversary edition car, it would be great. Thanks.
If any Boxster is going to hold its value over the long term, it will certainly be the 50th Anniversary car. Though not exceedingly rare (1953 of them were produced), it is a desirable model, which will eventually be sought by collectors. It has a number of exclusive features to include the color combination and wheel option, making it immediately recognizable on the street. In my eyes at least, the Limited Edition 986s is a better choice than a base 987. Even if you're not interested in its collectability, the decelerated depreciation should be of interest. Plus they're so friggin' cool.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 04-15-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:43 AM   #19

Cayman intakes on 987?

"If you go with 987 get rid of those MR2 side intakes in favor of the Cayman intakes."

I think this would look sharp (although I don't know what an MR2 is) but the dealership clerk said they would not fit directly, but perhaps could be modified to fit.

Have you seen this done? Porsche or aftermarket?
Thanks (although now I think my car less than perfect for the first time).

I chose a 987 because I figured Porsche would improve everything on a new model. I wanted better reliability, reduced maintainence, better performance. Can't find the article that convinced me, or I would share it, sorry.

A big surprize was how great the bi-zenon lights are: stronger, brighter light by 300% (a guess, not science), and the sides of the road are illumened, not just the road ahead. A real safety feature and worth the cost.

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:32 AM   #20

2003 S low milage vs 2005 2.7 medium to high milage --> 2003 S
2003 S medium to high milage vs 2005 2.7 low milage --> 2005 2.7
2003 S low milage vs 2005 2.7 low milage --> 2003 S
2003 S high milage vs 2005 2.7 high milage --> 2005 2.7

IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloancarr
As soon as I sell my current vehicle, I'm ready to purchase my long awaited Boxster. As this could happen relatively soon, I'm going to be faced with a tough choice - a 2003 S, or 2005 2.7

For better or worse, it will be used primarially for city driving, with relatively little opportunity to really 'stretch its legs', so I'm thinking that the newer design, lower miles, warranty etc. of the 2005 might be a better bet, but I thought I should get opinions from the aficianados here. Thoughts?

(I'll only be considering pampered, low-mileage vehicles in either case - and find that they are at similar price points)