Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #21

Hi,

Yep, I still say Oil Separator/Tubing. That doesn't guarantee I'm right, but that's my bet...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #22

I put the fire out with an extinguisher I had with me but after thinking about it I could have just stuff a rag(which I had in hand) up the exhaust pipe but I was in the panic mode and just didn't think about it. The whole thing including the fire was a real cool effect but I guess the timing was just wrong

I'm really trying to keep my sense of humor about this but it is hard, I only put about 500 miles on the car and this is my second Boxster in six months to go south on me. The first needing the imfamous RMS done and a new clutch as well.

I love the pure pleasure of driving these cars and as I have said the most fun ever in any other car I have owned. Having said that I will get the car fixed and then I think I'm gone. I simply do not have the cash to keep a car like this running and should have taken that in to consideration but I didn't and am now paying the price. You would think a car as refined as this one is would not be proned to these problems and what is funny the same problems seem to continue through later models.

I guess it is back to my ole 98 Ford F150 which I have sunk nearly $1500.00 in over 141000 miles...not bad huh. The only problem is damn top won't go down
wvav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well at least the F150 doesnt have any RMS problems, or stupid convertible top problems, os fire coming out of it.

but its kinda funny, even after all the troubles we go trough w our cars, if we sell them we will probably end up getting a new one just like it
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #24

Contacted the dealer (Tower Auto in Pittsburgh) and in so many words told me sorry about your luck. I almost understand and if I had put any kind of mileage on the car than so be it but only 500 hundred miles and a major problem occurs and not even an offer to look at the car, I think is way below the belt. I guess it is something to think about if anyone is planning to do business with them in the future…great people when you are buying but cold as hell when you have a problem.

Porsche dealership in Pittsburgh is supposed to call me in the morning I will see what they have to say. I also have a appointment next Monday with a foreign car expert ( I had no idea that anyone in Morgantown was an expert at anything) and he said it could be the oil separator but also said it could be other more major things…I have heard he is pricy and it sounds like we are headed in that direction.

As suggested here I did remove the oil refill cap to see if it would stop smoking but it seem to blow as much smoke as before, I did not run it long and was wondering if I should have. I figure that it would take sometime to burn off the oil but it appeared not to be decreasing any in the short time I ran it. I believe the hardest part is waiting to find out how much this is going to cost and mechanics are like doctors and none of them get in a hurry.

I do know if the engine is gone it will sit in my garage for sometime to come or I will sell it as is…anyone know what something like that would be worth?

Thanks for letting me whine. :ah:
dusty
Old 03-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #25
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I would take it to a Porsche garage, no where else to find out what's wrong. Once you know what it needs, then make the decision as to where to get it done.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I would take it to a Porsche garage, no where else to find out what's wrong. Once you know what it needs, then make the decision as to where to get it done.

I second Paul's sentiment. Take it to a p-car wrench, someone that knows boxsters and 996s. Don't write the car off yet. It might not be a bad fix.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvav8tor
anyone know what something like that would be worth?
You are probably looking at $10k-$15k or so based on my experience.
But it's worst case, so hang on there.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #28

I think you misunderstood or maybe I have misunderstood you, I meant what is the car worth with a blown engine? Hell at this point I would be almost willing to roll the dice and sell for $15000.00 :dance:

Looking at my credit card limits
Dusty
Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #29

Hi,

Don't run the Car! I still think it's the Separator, but running the Car, while not risking grenading the engine is still harming the Cats and Emissions gear. Wait to see what the pros say. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
You still have not recieved a CEL this whole time? Even a lighty bad oil seperator could trigger a CEL. Perhaps someone knew it a CEL light,found out the problem was too much to fix and sold it anyways. Does the CEL come on when you turn the key over? Do you have access to an OBD II reader? Even if someone cut power to the light you should still be able to read any codes it giving from the OBD II port.

Hope all works out! Good luck!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #31

Yep, CEL does light up when the switch is turned on and goes out after start up.....still. I'm going to start it up one more time to see if there is a vacume on the oil fill cap and from what I have read here it would seem to say yes it is the separator. If so I am temped to do it myself. I have never worked on a Boxster before but I will get a room at Holiday Inn first thing in the morning.

dusty
Old 03-27-2007, 05:12 AM   #32

Really....DON'T start the car. If it's just a bad AOS, you could hydrolock the engine with all that oil, then you *will* be in a world of hurt.

Here's hoping it's a $100 AOS fix.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #33
bmussatti

Quote:
I think you misunderstood or maybe I have misunderstood you, I meant what is the car worth with a blown engine? Hell at this point I would be almost willing to roll the dice and sell for $15000.00 :dance:

Looking at my credit card limits
Dusty
There are a lot of Boxsters available on the used car market...so, one with a blown engine won't be selling anytime soon, IMHO. Get it fixed. And STOP RUNNING THE ENGINE!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:19 AM   #34

Considering you only put on 500 miles since you bought the car before this incident, aren't there lemon laws that can take effect?

Quote:
Contacted the dealer (Tower Auto in Pittsburgh) and in so many words told me sorry about your luck. I almost understand and if I had put any kind of mileage on the car than so be it but only 500 hundred miles and a major problem occurs and not even an offer to look at the car, I think is way below the belt. I guess it is something to think about if anyone is planning to do business with them in the future…great people when you are buying but cold as hell when you have a problem.
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #35

Hopefully it isn't a major problem, but white smoke sounds like you are burning water/coolant, thus either a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder liner. A compression/leakdown test will tell you pretty quick. Echoing the sentiments of others, please stop running the car or you will guarantee the need for a new motor.

If the engine is done and you decide to sell it as is, let me know, I might be interested in it.

Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #36

Well after all of the thoughts and advice that I have received from here I decided to take a gun to the Boxster and than to myself…..just kidding. I did with all of your help and instruction remove the AOS myself! :dance: I found it had quite a bit of oil in it and I was over whelmed with joy. I have ordered the new AOS and should have it by the weekend, I anxiously wait to install it to find if this is indeed the problem…Lord I hope so.

I found the removal not real difficult but hard enough and as with most of the new and amazing thing we have into today’s world they are all engineered to work not to work on.

Thanks for the help and keep your fingers crossed.

dusty
Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ wvava8tor,

Unless you know 100% that the Oil Separator is the problem I would still pay a independent shop a hours labor to proper diagnosis it.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:46 AM   #38

Smile

Quote:
Well after all of the thoughts and advice that I have received from here I decided to take a gun to the Boxster and than to myself…..just kidding. I did with all of your help and instruction remove the AOS myself! :dance: I found it had quite a bit of oil in it and I was over whelmed with joy. I have ordered the new AOS and should have it by the weekend, I anxiously wait to install it to find if this is indeed the problem…Lord I hope so.

I found the removal not real difficult but hard enough and as with most of the new and amazing thing we have into today’s world they are all engineered to work not to work on.

Thanks for the help and keep your fingers crossed.

dusty

Suggest you get this car to a mechanic. I don't think your approach is the best one.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #39

what happens to aos's when they go bad? Can't they be fixed or cleaned out? How much are they?
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #40

I paid $94.00 shipped, I was advised to remove one of the hose connections from the AOS and if I found oil in it than it had failed. After completely removing the AOS it had a fair amount of oil throughout...enough to drip out of it. Is this the only problem?...hope so but I assumed that replacing it as indeed it does need replaced would only leave me $94.00 further in the hole and in the big picture if the engine is toast than it is only a drop in the bucket.

Possible paper weight owner(big one)
dusty