Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #1

Blown engine?

Will it seems my luck with used cars has finially come to a major end, while running about 4500 RPM I notice some blue smoke coming out he exhaust. I backed off and it quit, I drove about a half mile further and than, white smoke just rolled out the the back. I drove it that way for less than a quarter of a mile to get it off the road and shut it off...still running ok and no CEL. I than went to the back and my tail pipe is on fire! Got the fire out and check the oil level and it appears that there is none left, some how I dumped 9 quarts of oil in less than a quarter mile.

Any ideas? is my engine toast? some one want a good buy on a 2001 S ? are these to many questions? Its a shame jus to blow 25 grand out the door isn't it

There goes my whole summer.
dusty

Last edited by wvav8tor; 03-25-2007 at 12:45 PM.
wvav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
bmussatti

That sucks. Sorry.

When did you buy it? Did you get a PPI?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #3

Could it just be the oil air separator?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #4

I picked it up in January and it has sat in the garage unitl these last two weeks and I only put about 500 hundred miles on it, what little warrantee I had on it expired in the the garage and no I did not get a ppi.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #5

Could someone expain about the oil seperator, would I have lost all the oil?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #6

If the engine seems to run OK, but is blowing smoke... oil is getting in somewhere. Not likely a completely destroyed engine. A destroyed engine wouldn't run, now would it???

I'd have it towed to a dealer, have 'em look at it. If it's the oil air seperator, it's not a majorly expensive part, and shouldn't take much time to replace.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 03-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
bmussatti

Wvav8tor, no PPI....oouch!

There is some great info on this Forum, but I guess you can't make people read everything or follow the advice.

You have a great looking car! Time for a nice engine swap from a 996! Make lemonade my Boxster friend.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #8

I don't think we need to be talkin to him about 996 swaps and such yet!

Get that bad boy to a dealer, it could be something simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Wvav8tor, no PPI....oouch!

There is some great info on this Forum, but I guess you can't make people read everything or follow the advice.

You have a great looking car! Time for a nice engine swap from a 996! Make lemonade my Boxster friend.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #9

Hopely it's not blown engine, (usually you hear broken metal sound and the car stops and becomes undrivable) but make sure to talk to your dealer and PNA even if it turns out to be and out of warranty. Class suit is palnning on, so you never know.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #10

Hey in less than 2 hours I have already warn out one ass kicking machine and I am looking for a loaner I wonder if an inspection would have caught something like this? As for the soft drink no thanks but I have started in on the Jack and figured the bottle was better used beating myself over the head with it than drinking out of it.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #11

Thumbs up

My neighbor had similar experience. She had a intermediate shaft failure, total engine gone.

Hopefully, you have not gone down that road.

Keep us posted.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
fab

No CEL, I would have towed it to the dealer and have them tell you what's wrong. There could be hope...
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
What makes you think it blew out all 9 quarts? Did the oil light come on?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #14

I'm inclined to think that if you blew all the oil out of the engine that it would throw some pissed off idiot lights at you, and most often, blown motors don't continue to run without throwing idiot lights as well, but from what Jim said you may be in bad shape.

I'd get it to a good tech and let him figure out what is wrong before you call it a day.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #15

Went back out to the car with some oil, found out it was less than two quarts low.
Car starts and runs fine except for the billowing white smoke, I will do some checking in the morning about where I should have it towed(maybe to the junk yard) any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dusty
Old 03-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
bmussatti

Don't run it anymore and get to a qualified Porsche mechanic.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #17

Hi,

Oil Separator and/or associated Tubing seems like the issue to me, but that's the simplified answer.

I assume that you checked the Oil Level prior to cranking it up from it's Winter Nap. If so, you blew 2 Qts. of Oil through the Intake system, which will need to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, incl. the Throttle Body. Then, you probably contaminated the Plugs, OČ Sensors on both Banks, and maybe damaged the Cats as well. You may also need to flush the Cylinders w/ Carb Cleaner and then blow them dry w/ compressed air. You'll also need an Oil and Filter change.

If you didn't check the Oil Level prior to starting it, why not? (That's not so much an admonishment of you as much as it is a warning to others...)

Long Distance diagnoses are difficult at best. But from your description, it sounds as if the mechanicals are intact - no IMS failure.

Check under the Car for signs of leakage to insure that a catastrophic RMS or IMS seal didn't let go and the airflow dragged the spilt Oil over the Exhaust system and what you saw wasn't ignited Oil from the exterior of the Muffler.

Also check the Urethane Bumper Cover for signs of melting from the associated Fire.

Before committing to any plan of action or buying any parts, unless you're a skilled DIYer, have a good mechanic look it over to confirm your suspicions. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-25-2007 at 05:31 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #18

Based on this addtional data, I would guess blown head gastket.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #19

I have to ask... how'd you put out the fire? I've considered putting a fire exstinguisher in my car.... as a just incase
Old 03-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #20

Would a blown head gasket result in loss of coolant? There was none as the coolant level shows full, also checked under the car and no signs of oil.

I have been running the car for about two weeks now although no big trips and yes I check the oil level. The car was running great before this occured and the first sign of a problem was the light blue smoke rolling out the back. That quit and a couple of seconds later the white smoke and lots of it.