Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #1

WTB: Aero kit side skirts (GT3 style)

Looking for OEM GT3 side skirts (aero kit 2 I believe, I always get them confused. The one in the photo below is what I'm looking for). Any color is fine, black is a plus. Preferably without cracks or major damage. Will consider just the right side since there are three single left ones on Ebay righ now.

Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #2

I have some in a box that are Chinese knock offs that we won't use (new in box). We'd sell for $250 shipped if interested.
rennpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennpart View Post
I have some in a box that are Chinese knock offs that we won't use (new in box). We'd sell for $250 shipped if interested.
Thanks for the offer. I'm trying to stick with OEM skirts. If it doesn't work out I'll let you know.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:35 PM   #4

Hi Javi, yes your org pic is the complete aerokit 2 package. If you locate a set you’ll also need to get the underbody clips to attach the lower edge. I have the clip part number around somewhere. Let me know if you need it.

I tried two different sets of fiberglass replicas (techart and hofele copies) before deciding to go with used oem aerokit 1. No comparison for fit and finish between the oem polyurethane skirts vs the fiberglass copies.

The aerokit 2 fairs better as takeoffs than the aerokit 1 because of the way the aerokit 1 attaches to the car (really meant to be permanent while aerokit 2 uses two sided tape on the upper edge).

Good luck with your search!
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Hi Javi, yes your org pic is the complete aerokit 2 package. If you locate a set you’ll also need to get the underbody clips to attach the lower edge. I have the clip part number around somewhere. Let me know if you need it.

I tried two different sets of fiberglass replicas (techart and hofele copies) before deciding to go with used oem aerokit 1. No comparison for fit and finish between the oem polyurethane skirts vs the fiberglass copies.

The aerokit 2 fairs better as takeoffs than the aerokit 1 because of the way the aerokit 1 attaches to the car (really meant to be permanent while aerokit 2 uses two sided tape on the upper edge).

Good luck with your search!
Thank you so much for the info. Fit and finish from OEM is what I'm going after (from previous experience with other cars). Couple of questions:

I have the OEM Aero Kit 1 side skits on my car (tape is coming undone, and they don't match my aero kit 2 bumper IMO). Can I use the same clips to attach the aero kit 2 skirts underneath? Are the holes in the same location?

You mention that the 2 use double-sided tape while the 1 (which I have) is a permanent install. Does this mean I can't take them off? If I do, will there be any exposed extra holes somewhere?

Thanks again
Old 12-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #6

Garage
Right now a certain factory parts supplier (who is not a board sponsor so I can't say their name) has the entire 2003-2004 aerokit on sale for $1995.00, that is about $1000 savings. It includes factory bumper cover, side skirts and rear spoiler. That is a steal as the side skirts alone sell for $1595.00
Old 12-22-2019, 04:18 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
Right now a certain factory parts supplier (who is not a board sponsor so I can't say their name) has the entire 2003-2004 aerokit on sale for $1995.00, that is about $1000 savings. It includes factory bumper cover, side skirts and rear spoiler. That is a steal as the side skirts alone sell for $1595.00
Yeah, Daniel Andrew isn't a board sponsor either, but the site owner doesn't seem to have a problem with his ongoing spamfest.

Reveal the name of the supplier. Break the rules. It doesn't matter. You won't get arrested.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Thank you so much for the info. Fit and finish from OEM is what I'm going after (from previous experience with other cars). Couple of questions:

I have the OEM Aero Kit 1 side skits on my car (tape is coming undone, and they don't match my aero kit 2 bumper IMO). Can I use the same clips to attach the aero kit 2 skirts underneath? Are the holes in the same location?

You mention that the 2 use double-sided tape while the 1 (which I have) is a permanent install. Does this mean I can't take them off? If I do, will there be any exposed extra holes somewhere?

Thanks again
Hi Javi, you’re welcome. Here’s a few answers based on my experience:

If your Aerokit 1 is a factory or dealer install on your car the skirts’ top edge is a lip that is secured with a black adhesive into a metal retaining strip that is secured to your car with several screws that resemble self tapping sheet metal screws (I forget how many). This retaining strip ends about two or three inches from each end of the side skirt. This means that there are actually holes drilled into your lower body to attach the mounting strip. I had to rebuild the top mounting lip on my used Aerokit 1 because the upper lip is usually mostly destroyed when you take them off of the car. No worries though, you can prime and seal the mounting holes. The aerokit 2 upper edge should then cover the holes completely.

If you’re lucky, someone may have installed the skirts using double sided automotive tape rather than the metal mounting strip (that’s what I did). If so, the removal should be easy.

I couldn’t find the aerokit 1 underbody clips so I actually used Aerokit 2 clips when I installed my Aerokit 1 skirts. The underbody mounting slots in the skirts are different for aerokit 1 and 2. The aerokit 2 skirts use about half again as many underbody clips as the aerokit 1. I think this is because Porsche went to double sided tape for the upper edge mount and they wanted to insure that the skirts were secure at high speed. Additionally, the aerokit 1 can suffer some minor buckling on the underside due to the fewer number of clips used. The clips mount to the body weld fold so matching up to the skirt slots shouldn’t be a problem.

I did have to deepen the underbody mounting slots on the aerokit 1 to use the aerokit 2 clips and get the correct alignment so the clips may be different (or I may have put them on with the screw holes facing the wrong way). Doesn’t matter for you because you’re mounting aerokit 2 anyway and the clips are available.

Someone was kind enough to forward the aerokit 1 and aerokit 2 Porsche install bulletins to me in pdf form. I’ve changed iPads since then but I might still have them in the cloud. If so, I’ll forward them to you.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 12-22-2019, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
That is a real deal.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:26 AM   #10

Aerokit 1 TSB

javi, the attachment did not work. I’ll send you a pm.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 12-22-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi Javi, you’re welcome. Here’s a few answers based on my experience:

If you’re lucky, someone may have installed the skirts using double sided automotive tape rather than the metal mounting strip (that’s what I did). If so, the removal should be easy.
I know the PO installed the version 1 skirts himself and I think that's how he did it (otherwise they wouldn't be starting to come off I would think). Thank God because I hate extra holes on my car. I love the way OEM body kits fit but when I put side skirts on my NB Miata I had to drill like 5 or 6 humongous holes each side right on the metal. It was stressful as hell (and obviously a permanent install). Don't want to go through that with the Boxster again.

Right now my Boxster is under a rainstorm. I'll verify tomorrow if that's how the skirts are installed.

Can you give me the part no. for the aerokit 2 mounting clips? Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:33 AM   #12

Javi - If you're interested and we can make the price right for us both, I'll buy your Aero I side skirts once you get the swap made.

Just shoot me a PM here.

Thanks!

Rick
Old 12-23-2019, 04:52 AM   #13

TSBs emailed

Hi Javi,

TSBs emailed to you. I’ll let you know if I come across some for sale.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi Javi,

Forgot to mention that all the part numbers are in the TSBs.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi Javi,

Got them, thanks!

Well, it turns out that my AK1 skirts were installed using the spiked metal strips after all. They are coming undone from the metal strips themselves, which are still firmly attached to the car. Soooo... any tips on how to easily remove them from the car? And if I do keep them, any advive on how to glue them back on the strips?

Last edited by Javi Cooper; 12-23-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Got them, thanks!

Well, it turns out that my AK1 skirts were installed using the spiked metal strips after all. They are coming undone from the metal strip itself. Soooo... any tips on how to easily remove them from the car? And if I do keep them, any advice on how to glue them back on the strips?
Bummer.

First step is to try and get them off with the upper lip intact. No clue how to do this. The ones I found for sale had the upper lip mostly destroyed during the removal. Maybe a heat gun to soften the adhesive??

If you get them off with the lip intact, then replace the mounting strips if yours are not in great shape after the de-install, clean everything up and reinstall on new mounting strips using 3m or Porsche recommended adhesive.

The leftover adhesive on mine was difficult to remove (to say the least). Then I had to completely rebuild an upper ledge to replace the missing lip so I could attach 3m VHB automotive tape. It's a real job. I think I put a thread up on this forum somewhere on my install.

Because you really want AK2s anyway, and because AK2s mount the upper edge with double sided tape instead of the insanely over engineered (IMHO) AK1 mounting, I'd live with it for now (if the AK1s are still safely attached), hold out for AK2s, then fill the holes in a manner that prevents rust/corrosion and mount the AK2s over the holes. Of course the trick is to find used OEM AK2s with good mounting lips, or pay real money for new ones. I ended up paying ~$450 for my AK1s and they were in terrible shape.

it's interesting that most AK1 eBay sellers usually show every angle except the upper lip which is the critical part for mounting. I guess they typically unbolt the bottom snd wheel well edges and then rip them off of the car (destroying the all important mounting lip).

I'll see if I can dig up the thread where I refurbed and mounted mine.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:12 AM   #17

BUMP!

Thanks for all the info Oldcarguy. Search for the side skirts is back on again. I just missed out on a set from Maytag’s part out sale

Anyone?

Last edited by Javi Cooper; 03-03-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #18

BUMP! Still looking. Or trade my Aerokit 1 skirts for your Aerokit 2/GT3 skirts. Right side only is fine (two-for-one deal!).
Old 03-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #19

Monthly bump!

Found a left skirt for $105 shipped

Still looking for the elusive right skirt
Old 03-03-2021, 07:54 AM   #20

Hi! Thank you for the share this information. This is very useful information for online blog review readers. Keep it up such a nice posting like this.

python Course in chennai
python certification in chennai
python training institute in chennai

cemturion is offline   Reply With Quote