View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #8
Oldcarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Thank you so much for the info. Fit and finish from OEM is what I'm going after (from previous experience with other cars). Couple of questions:

I have the OEM Aero Kit 1 side skits on my car (tape is coming undone, and they don't match my aero kit 2 bumper IMO). Can I use the same clips to attach the aero kit 2 skirts underneath? Are the holes in the same location?

You mention that the 2 use double-sided tape while the 1 (which I have) is a permanent install. Does this mean I can't take them off? If I do, will there be any exposed extra holes somewhere?

Thanks again
Hi Javi, you’re welcome. Here’s a few answers based on my experience:

If your Aerokit 1 is a factory or dealer install on your car the skirts’ top edge is a lip that is secured with a black adhesive into a metal retaining strip that is secured to your car with several screws that resemble self tapping sheet metal screws (I forget how many). This retaining strip ends about two or three inches from each end of the side skirt. This means that there are actually holes drilled into your lower body to attach the mounting strip. I had to rebuild the top mounting lip on my used Aerokit 1 because the upper lip is usually mostly destroyed when you take them off of the car. No worries though, you can prime and seal the mounting holes. The aerokit 2 upper edge should then cover the holes completely.

If you’re lucky, someone may have installed the skirts using double sided automotive tape rather than the metal mounting strip (that’s what I did). If so, the removal should be easy.

I couldn’t find the aerokit 1 underbody clips so I actually used Aerokit 2 clips when I installed my Aerokit 1 skirts. The underbody mounting slots in the skirts are different for aerokit 1 and 2. The aerokit 2 skirts use about half again as many underbody clips as the aerokit 1. I think this is because Porsche went to double sided tape for the upper edge mount and they wanted to insure that the skirts were secure at high speed. Additionally, the aerokit 1 can suffer some minor buckling on the underside due to the fewer number of clips used. The clips mount to the body weld fold so matching up to the skirt slots shouldn’t be a problem.

I did have to deepen the underbody mounting slots on the aerokit 1 to use the aerokit 2 clips and get the correct alignment so the clips may be different (or I may have put them on with the screw holes facing the wrong way). Doesn’t matter for you because you’re mounting aerokit 2 anyway and the clips are available.

Someone was kind enough to forward the aerokit 1 and aerokit 2 Porsche install bulletins to me in pdf form. I’ve changed iPads since then but I might still have them in the cloud. If so, I’ll forward them to you.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote