Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Perfectionist

FS: Brand new 4" Underdrive Pulley Kit M96/M97 with aircon - Los Angeles, CA

It is SOLD

Last edited by Shred; 03-11-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
Located in Los Angeles, CA
$150

Brand new in packaging, never opened and includes Porsche 'puller' tool to help with installation.

Part Number: TRS-UDP-M9697AC (with A/C)

Fitment: 1997-2008 Porsche 996 / 997 / 986 / 987 (excludes DFI, Turbo and 3.8L models)

TuneRS Motorsports 4 inch lightweight under drive crankshaft pulley kit. Includes pulley, drive belt and new bolt. Pulley is made from 6061 aluminum and is anodized gold.

Improve horsepower and torque while reducing parasitic drag from the alternator, power steering pump and water pump. This pulley is also Spec Boxster legal. The Boxster/Cayman platform has a tendency to overwork and overheat the Power Steering pump to the point that some of the lines have been known to melt! Cars that are auto-crossed or tracked suffer the most from this malady. One of the simplest and most effective solutions is to install a smaller crankshaft pulley known as an under drive pulley, because it under-drives the secondary systems (A/C, Alternator and Power Steering). There are no negative issues with cooling, charging or steering, but there's an upside: the engine will get back about 5-7 HP!

Replaces Porsche crankshaft pulley part 996.102.115.63
If that includes shipping, it's sold. I'm in SoCal... USPS is fine. PM me.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #3

I will pay $150 plus ground shipping to 48323, if not yet sold!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:18 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I will pay $150 plus ground shipping to 48323, if not yet sold!
Can't you see already I've an offer in? Could you wait until he at least declines? Thank you.

Last edited by Starter986; 03-11-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Can't you see already I've an offer in? Could you wait until he at least declines? Thank you.
I am waiting... Like I wrote my offer is if it was not sold (to you.)
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

Good setup, I've got one. Be prepared to do a bit of minor surgery to the block and getting the torque right requires either a very shallow socket (Porsche tool), or one cut down to fit. I used a very robust strap wrench to hold the pulley as well as the method described in the instructions.

Also, mark the TDC hole location on the pulley, its helpful if you ever need to put the engine at TDC.

Last edited by Geof3; 03-11-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Perfectionist

Sorry, sold to a friend. I thought my friend had one installed on his Boxster already by his mechanic. However, he found out although he was charged for it, it was never installed!

Last edited by Shred; 03-11-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Sorry, sold to a friend. I thought my friend had it installed on his Boxster already by his mechanic. However, he found out although he was charged for it, it was never installed!
Unreal mechanic... good of you to take care of a friend.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Sorry, sold to a friend. I thought my friend had one installed on his Boxster already by his mechanic. However, he found out although he was charged for it, it was never installed!
Ok, sorry... but that makes absolutely NO sense...
Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

You're correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Ok, sorry... but that makes absolutely NO sense...
I won't be buying anything from this cat. Not sure what is his angle, but it looks crooked.

Same part? Crooked much?

FS: New 4" Underdrive Pulley Kit M96/M97 with aircon

smmfh
Old 03-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #11

I bought the power steering cooler kit from the other thread from him, was a good sale. Probably with a garage full of stuff, that underdrive pulley just never sold the first time and then sat for a long time. Then this time it got posted for sale and got sold outside the forum and got a little weird... I'm glad to see TRS has added the holes now which makes it easier to counterhold the pulley.

I've got the RSS pulley installed, felt like a nice little boost, but what a hassle sawing off that boss with a small hacksaw... I got mine for about that same price second hand.

EBS (a well respected name in Porsche) looks like they ave a kit now with an intro price that is close to the price from this thread:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Boxster-Cayman-996-Performance-Underdrive-Pulley-Kit/112529147463?hash=item1a33428647:g:vfoAAOSwTtpZlc4 V&vxp=mtr

Edit: Looks like there is a fib on that listing though, says "no modifications required", unless this pulley is nearly as big as stock it isn't going to clear that boss...

Last edited by steved0x; 03-12-2018 at 09:40 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I bought the power steering cooler kit from the other thread from him, was a good sale. Probably with a garage full of stuff, that underdrive pulley just never sold the first time and then sat for a long time. Then this time it got posted for sale and got sold outside the forum and got a little weird... I'm glad to see TRS has added the holes now which makes it easier to counterhold the pulley.

I've got the RSS pulley installed, felt like a nice little boost, but what a hassle sawing off that boss with a small hacksaw... I got mine for about that same price second hand.

EBS (a well respected name in Porsche) looks like they ave a kit now with an intro price that is close to the price from this thread:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Boxster-Cayman-996-Performance-Underdrive-Pulley-Kit/112529147463?hash=item1a33428647:g:vfoAAOSwTtpZlc4 V&vxp=mtr

Edit: Looks like there is a fib on that listing though, says "no modifications required", unless this pulley is nearly as big as stock it isn't going to clear that boss...
I'd be concerned about stress cracks in all those spokes.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Unlikely, very thick really. Nice solid piece. Unless there was some sort of install issue, or funky stress. And yes, the boss has to go... at least most of it.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
That was my first thought too, some of the other fancy ones have that problem too. If it is really EBS though I bet it is good.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #15
Perfectionist

To clarify, I posted this ad in a few places originally.
A friend of mine has a Boxster S and tracks with me sometimes. He responded to my ad not knowing it was me selling it. I remember he told me he got a mechanic to install the underdrive pulley in his car while prepping for track day, so I asked him why he needed another one. He told me although it was on his invoice, the mechanic never installed in.

I found a bunch of Boxster parts still sitting in my garage I need to get rid of.

I wouldn't track or even drive the canyons without the underdrive pulley. It took me days to fix the power steering fluid leak after melting the PS tank.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #16
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
A friend of mine has a Boxster S and tracks with me sometimes. He responded to my ad not knowing it was me selling it. I remember he told me he got a mechanic to install the underdrive pulley in his car while prepping for track day, so I asked him why he needed another one. He told me although it was on his invoice, the mechanic never installed in.

I found a bunch of Boxster parts still sitting in my garage I need to get rid of.

I wouldn't track or even drive the canyons without the underdrive pulley. It took me days to fix the power steering fluid leak after melting the PS tank.
So what's your point? CYA? Brownie points? Next time, check the dates and time of those members expressing an interest in your stuff. I just wanted the deal, not your family history.

Last edited by Starter986; 03-13-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Don't need a reason for editing.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #17

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the background.

You should have just let that cheating mechanic pay the full price of a new UDP plus interest to make up with your friend who already paid for it, then kept your offering to an honest 986er around here!

Who is that mechanic that we need to watch out for?

Last edited by Boxstard; 03-13-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
That was my first thought too, some of the other fancy ones have that problem too. If it is really EBS though I bet it is good.
You guys were talking about the EBS piece! I agree, that looks a little funky. I have the some one the OP was selling. IT is very solid.

I must admit, a "pretty" UDP is about as pointless as can be. One thing to add nice shiny things to a big V8, but with a mid mount, shiny things are pretty much useless.