Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #1

FS: Cayman parts that may fit/upgrade 986

I have some miscellaneous Porsche Cayman S parts taken from a project car that we did a motor swap on. All parts are low mileage and in good working order, but can use a little cleaning since they have been in storage. Priced to sell.

What I have left for sale:
1 complete head with cam control valve and valvecover - $250
additional valve cover - $50
IMS - $200
Starter - $50
Alternator with bracket and pulley - $125
oil filter cap - $20
Thermostat with housing - $20
Oil pan with baffle - $50
4 coil packs - $10 each
all 4 cams - $100 each
Timing chains - $20 for both
Oil pump with bracket - $50
Complete intake manifold, with all piping, and fuel rails with Injectors - $300

I was told by another forum member that the intake is an upgrade for the 986 cars, but I don't know from firsthand experience.

I'm pretty sure I priced these items on the lower end of what they bring online, but these parts came from a low mile car (not some worn out wreck like most the used parts on ebay). Regardless, I am semi-negotiable if you would like to make an offer. thank you!

-Jon

Located in Pompano beach, Fl. 33069
Prefer Local pick-up, but will ship at buyer's expense. Thank you!

Last edited by m3j0n; 05-10-2016 at 10:22 AM.
m3j0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

You need to keep the valve covers with their respective head.
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Used IMS?
Right!!!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Used IMS?
Right!!!
Particularly when a brand new assembled OEM shaft is $1200.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I've seen buyers for all that stuff, even valve covers that were sold without the head.
But you should really do a price check if you want to sell that stuff. For example:

I gave some of those things away for a few $ over shipping when I scrapped a 2.7L, but that's me....
Old 05-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsjmc View Post
You need to keep the valve covers with their respective head.
never heard of such a thing. So if you damage a valve cover on these cars, you have to replace the head?... I would be very amazed if that was the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Used IMS?
Right!!!

Does an IMS wear out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Particularly when a brand new assembled OEM shaft is $1200.
Looked up pricing and thought my asking price was fair. This is from a cayman S, not a boxster... is there a difference?> Boxster and cayman S has a different part number for the IMS./ Cayman S IMS retails for over $2k... Hows $450?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I've seen buyers for all that stuff, even valve covers that were sold without the head.
But you should really do a price check if you want to sell that stuff. For example:

I gave some of those things away for a few $ over shipping when I scrapped a 2.7L, but that's me....
Looked up pricing and thought my asking price was fair. This is from a cayman S, not a boxster... is there a difference?> Boxster and cayman S has a different part number for the IMS./ Cayman S IMS retails for over $2k... Hows $450?

Last edited by m3j0n; 05-05-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #7

tahnks for the constructive criticism. PRices are OBO as mentioned.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
never heard of such a thing. So if you damage a valve cover on these cars, you have to replace the head?... I would be very amazed if that was the case.

Does an IMS wear out?

The cam cover and cylinder head are machined as a single unit and are a matched set. You cannot mix cam covers and cylinder heads, it simply will not work.

Yes IMS wear out, do a search about engine failures due to the IMS coming apart.

The IMS shaft, and the rest of the engine, are exactly the same in both a Boxster and a Cayman. And $450 is still way too much for a used shaft.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
The cam cover and cylinder head are machined as a single unit and are a matched set. You cannot mix cam covers and cylinder heads, it simply will not work.

Yes IMS wear out, do a search about engine failures due to the IMS coming apart.

The IMS shaft, and the rest of the engine, are exactly the same in both a Boxster and a Cayman. And $450 is still way too much for a used shaft.
cam cover/cap is not the same as a valve cover. You are referring to a cam cap, which is machined in teh head. The valve covers are not.

OK, $250 for the IMS?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
cam cover/cap is not the same as a valve cover. You are referring to a cam cap, which is machined in teh head. The valve covers are not.

OK, $250 for the IMS?
Once and for all, these cars do not have valve covers, they have cam covers, in which are bored the cam retaining saddles, which match the ones in cylinder heads, because they are bored as a unit. The cam covers form the upper half of the cam bearing saddles, the cylinder heads the lower half:

Each cylinder head has its own unique matching cam cover, which cannot be interchanged with another, as the cams will not fit properly or turn correctly, which is why they are only sold as a set. Don't presume to lecture on something you obviously don't understand.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-05-2016 at 10:41 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Once and for all, these cars do not have valve covers, they have cam covers, in which are bored the cam retaining saddles, which match the ones in cylinder heads, because they are bored as a unit. The cam covers form the upper half of the cam bearing saddles, the cylinder heads the lower half:

Each cylinder head has its own unique matching cam cover, which cannot be interchanged with another, as the cams will not fit properly or turn correctly, which is why they are only sold as a set. Don't presume to lecture on something you obviously don't understand.
thank you for the info. That is a pretty stupid design...I do have the complete head with valve cover and cams then...

btw, what car is that head from? The cayman engine I have here only has 4 in the cover vs the 6 that are shown in your photo. Thanks.

Last edited by m3j0n; 05-05-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:10 AM   #12

Thanks jfp I couldn't be bothered to explain it
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:05 AM   #13

Quote:
thank you for the info. That is a pretty stupid design...I do have the complete head with valve cover and cams then...

btw, what car is that head from? The cayman engine I have here only has 4 in the cover vs the 6 that are shown in your photo. Thanks.
Actually, it is an excellent and well proven design.

The photos are from a five chain version of the engine, yours is probably the three chain version, which is just a matter of model year.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #14

updated listing with revised pricing for you guys.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #15

Bump. Throttle body sold. Lowered prices even more!!1

Last edited by m3j0n; 05-10-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #16

I received the tb today. I should state that Jon's been nice to work with and professional, and even provided the hardware for attaching the throttle body. However, the tb I got is not a Cayman S throttle body. the part number on it is 986 605 115 01. It's 68mm, which is not the size of a Cayman S tb. I confirmed with the local dealer that this is a 1st gen Boxster tb. I'm looking forward to a positive resolution.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
I received the tb today. I should state that Jon's been nice to work with and professional, and even provided the hardware for attaching the throttle body. However, the tb I got is not a Cayman S throttle body. the part number on it is 986 605 115 01. It's 68mm, which is not the size of a Cayman S tb. I confirmed with the local dealer that this is a 1st gen Boxster tb. I'm looking forward to a positive resolution.
wow, wish you would have contacted me first before going onto the thread. Of course, send it back to me and I will issue a full refund. Sorry about that. We took apart a cayman S and Boxster. Sorry about the confusion!
Old 05-14-2016, 02:48 AM   #18

Thank you Jon. I appreciate your willingness to make it right. As I said, you've been great to work with and I am thankful for that. I did pm first but didn't hear back. I probably jumped the gun on the forum mention but i have been burned before and that drove my decision.

Last edited by eddy; 05-14-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
Thank you Jon. I appreciate your willingness to make it right. As I said, you've been great to work with and I am thankful for that. I did pm first but didn't hear back. I probably jumped the gun on the forum mention but i have been burned before and that drove my decision.
yeah, I have a life outside the forum, so I don't reply to PM's immediately, LOL. I will pack up and ship out the Cayman S TB if it isn't already sold and shipped out. I must have mislabeled the two accidentally. Just had my first child, so sleep has been a luxury. Ill message you as soon as I have it in my hands. thanks!

-Jon
Old 05-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #20

Jon took care of me, and it was an honest mistake. I'm a doofus for taking it up to 11 too quickly. Good guy to work with. Sorry for the momentary internet drama.