View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
never heard of such a thing. So if you damage a valve cover on these cars, you have to replace the head?... I would be very amazed if that was the case.

Does an IMS wear out?

Looked up pricing and thought my asking price was fair. This is from a cayman S, not a boxster... is there a difference?> Boxster and cayman S has a different part number for the IMS./ Cayman S IMS retails for over $2k... Hows $450?

Looked up pricing and thought my asking price was fair. This is from a cayman S, not a boxster... is there a difference?> Boxster and cayman S has a different part number for the IMS./ Cayman S IMS retails for over $2k... Hows $450?
The cam cover and cylinder head are machined as a single unit and are a matched set. You cannot mix cam covers and cylinder heads, it simply will not work.

Yes IMS wear out, do a search about engine failures due to the IMS coming apart.

The IMS shaft, and the rest of the engine, are exactly the same in both a Boxster and a Cayman. And $450 is still way too much for a used shaft.