Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Wtb: Pst2

Not in any hurry here. And have lots of questions, but have made the decision that if I'm going to dabble with these Boxsters that I'm going to want more than a durametric. For example, just bought an 02 S that appears to need an immobilizer. First thought was to swap out Immobilizer, DME, ignition switch and door lock. Second thought was to have it shipped to a dealer for diagnosis. Third thought was that I might as well learn how to do the diagnosis myself with the right equipment.

Also have an 03 base with a blown motor that I just picked up a 3.2L to go in. At first believed that the DME had to be reprogrammed. Then discovered, while that is the preferred method, the car will actually start and run with the DME as is. And, as long as your gentle at first, the computer will "learn" 3.2 demands. But, that sounds risky, therefore a PST2 would come in handy here too.

So, if you have one that you no longer need, let me know and we'll see what we can work out. I'm not made of money, so don't get carried away.

Thanks, Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #2

Buehler, Buehler, Buehler.......anybody?

Still looking for Porsche System Tester 2. Would consider PIWIS.

Thanks, Joe
Old 10-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

You are both going to have fun finding a real PST II, and you will be spending some cash as you will only find the system on dedicated laptops (usually Toshibas) because the system runs on a bastardized version of Windows 3.1:

As for the PIWIS, Porsche does not sell them, only leases them. First year lease in in the $20K range.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #4

What JFP said.
Try looking on ebay for completed listings, then contact the seller - there is a guy in europe that comes up with these from time to time, then lists them on ebay.
Otherwise your real challenge is finding the bosch PCM card that translates "porsche" to "computer," as the software/computer and cable are fairly available.
BOL
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the discussion. Selfishly, I hesitate to point out systems that I am aware of for fear of them going to someone else in the market. But, it makes it hard to communicate if we don't share information, so I'll point one out that I was considering....though I knew it to be incomplete. Check eBay listing 181533713571. It is for a Bosch KTS520 with cables. No computer (laptop, but that is easily acquired) and therefore, I assume, no software.

Can this system be made complete? And are those items available?

Then there is a complete system, but it ain't cheap, so I'm passing on it, item 231330043701. It claims to be a PIWIS.

In regard to PIWIS only going out on lease - I do believe that to be true, EXCEPT, when the first generation of PIWIS systems were replaced with a newer generation, those first gen systems seemed to have made it to market, and/or have been cloned. Anyway, I do believe there are now PIWIS systems available.

So, to keep this on the "for sale/wanted" board, I guess I'm also interested in the parts and pieces that can make a PST2 or PIWIS.

Appreciate the help,
Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellr8 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the discussion. Selfishly, I hesitate to point out systems that I am aware of for fear of them going to someone else in the market. But, it makes it hard to communicate if we don't share information, so I'll point one out that I was considering....though I knew it to be incomplete. Check eBay listing 181533713571. It is for a Bosch KTS520 with cables. No computer (laptop, but that is easily acquired) and therefore, I assume, no software.

Can this system be made complete? And are those items available?

Then there is a complete system, but it ain't cheap, so I'm passing on it, item 231330043701. It claims to be a PIWIS.

In regard to PIWIS only going out on lease - I do believe that to be true, EXCEPT, when the first generation of PIWIS systems were replaced with a newer generation, those first gen systems seemed to have made it to market, and/or have been cloned. Anyway, I do believe there are now PIWIS systems available.

So, to keep this on the "for sale/wanted" board, I guess I'm also interested in the parts and pieces that can make a PST2 or PIWIS.

Appreciate the help,
Thanks,
Joe
There are some PIWIS "I" running around, but just be aware that Porsche went to PIWIS "II" to both improve the system and prevent its cloning in the aftermarket. When Porsche made this move, they "bricked" all of the networked units they could access to eliminate them, and then going forward did the same thing to any survivors at the first attempt to update them. Believe me, this pissed a lot of people off in the aftermarket, but Porsche wants to maintain control over their intellectual property and are completely within their legal rights to do so. So if this really is a PIWIS "I", it is frozen in time and can never be updated. You will not find the PIWIS "II" in the aftermarket, and they are all leased units.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-08-2014 at 12:51 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #7

Arghh! Pirates..

XL - looked at your link. Seller has good feedback, including the same item. Would guess it is a PIWIS 1 clone setup.
PST2 last update was version 24, long ago. Neither PIWIS1 nor PST2 will be updateable - the former because it would be an illegal system that will be frozen on any attempt to update, the latter because Porsche stopped updating it and orphaned the legal systems in the hopes of coercing more business to their dealers (or more revenue via leasing PIWIS).
But if you are dealing strictly with 986s, updating is not an issue. If you want to work on cars after 2005, you will need PIWIS instead of a PST2 and you may want update capability. If so, consider Durametric Pro instead ( realizing you will still be limited from coding keys and flashing DMEs with Durametric, but not much else.)
BTW you may still need programming codes from a dealer with online access to Porsche headquarters, to perform these operations, even with a functional PST2 / PIWIS.
I think the referenced kit on ebay is prob your best bet for now, though I have no experience with this particular setup. It looks like his offer includes the whole enchilada, would just need a monitor to view it. PIWIS seems to have a better user interface than PST2, I presume it has all the capabilities of PST2 and then some. It is almost certainly a pirated setup, and the seller lists his location as Germany but the item ships from Slovakia, so take that for what it is worth.
Porsche is not unique in violating the spirit but not the letter of the law regarding making it possible for independent mechanics to access any necessary tools or software to work on these cars. But their endrun around the law by leasing the diagnostic tools at an exorbitant rate, somehow gives me license to relax my usual moral rigidity about intellectual property and pirated software. Particularly when it relates to PST2, which is not available at any price, is in the corporate trash bin, and is useless on cars less than 9 yrs old.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #8

I was referring..

to the 1st link, the one starting,"181..."