Thread: Wtb: Pst2
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellr8 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the discussion. Selfishly, I hesitate to point out systems that I am aware of for fear of them going to someone else in the market. But, it makes it hard to communicate if we don't share information, so I'll point one out that I was considering....though I knew it to be incomplete. Check eBay listing 181533713571. It is for a Bosch KTS520 with cables. No computer (laptop, but that is easily acquired) and therefore, I assume, no software.

Can this system be made complete? And are those items available?

Then there is a complete system, but it ain't cheap, so I'm passing on it, item 231330043701. It claims to be a PIWIS.

In regard to PIWIS only going out on lease - I do believe that to be true, EXCEPT, when the first generation of PIWIS systems were replaced with a newer generation, those first gen systems seemed to have made it to market, and/or have been cloned. Anyway, I do believe there are now PIWIS systems available.

So, to keep this on the "for sale/wanted" board, I guess I'm also interested in the parts and pieces that can make a PST2 or PIWIS.

Appreciate the help,
Thanks,
Joe
There are some PIWIS "I" running around, but just be aware that Porsche went to PIWIS "II" to both improve the system and prevent its cloning in the aftermarket. When Porsche made this move, they "bricked" all of the networked units they could access to eliminate them, and then going forward did the same thing to any survivors at the first attempt to update them. Believe me, this pissed a lot of people off in the aftermarket, but Porsche wants to maintain control over their intellectual property and are completely within their legal rights to do so. So if this really is a PIWIS "I", it is frozen in time and can never be updated. You will not find the PIWIS "II" in the aftermarket, and they are all leased units.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-08-2014 at 12:51 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote