Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

Wtr ims bearing tools

I'm about to replace the ims bearing and would like to rent the puller-install tools for the job plus the cam holder if possible. Get a little back on your investment, let me know!
Thanks.

3.2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

Bump, no body wants to rent?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.2S View Post
Bump, no body wants to rent?
I whould love to, but my tool is currently with another dear forum member.
How urgent do you need it?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

Well I have plenty of other projects plus I need to order the bearing. Next week possibly? Let me know, Terry
Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
FYI, I am the holdup. Here is where I am at with it….

I should be done with the kit soon. I am told the car goes back together pretty quick! You would never know it from all the parts in my garage!

@Meir is just a NICE GUY and let me use the tools (although I DID opt to DONATE to the "Meir Tool Fund" he-he) but I ran into a delay. If it is O.K. with him I can send the kit directly to you when complete. Order the parts and by the time they arrive you should have the kit on the way.

This "kit" contains ALL THE TOOLS NEEDED for IMS/RMS work and then some! Plus, it came in a camera case - so good it looks like something JD would carry!

Here is a shot of ALL the tools:

…and the case:

I will find a Texas sticker and slap it on before I send it on. May be we could start a thing and YOU can place a sticker on there when yours is done too. Is that O.K. with you Meir?

By the time it gets back the case will have logged more miles than our Boxsters!

All this is provided @Meir gives me the O.K. - I would not want to upset a generous man! He is REALY COOL to have let me use the tools - they saved me a BUNDLE on IMS installation costs! Plus, I have a larger steel bar used to lock down the flywheel, I will see if I can include that too. This was the ONLY PART not in there - cause it didn't fit! Ask him what that tool is on the far left (next to the clutch alignment tool).

I'll bet there are others who would LOVE to use it too. But, at the end of the day, they ARE @Meir's tools - you MUST CLEAR IT WITH HIM. I am just a lucky beneficiary of his kindness.

Even though he has been generous….I'm sure a DONATION would be in order and ACCEPTED! Considering the cost and care he has taken EXPECTED may be a better word. Although @Meir is too nice to ask!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
PM sent for both of you.
I like the sticker idea Homeboy.
just imagine if in couple of years it will have all states on it.

Last edited by Meir; 03-07-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #7

No rush Homeboy. Now I'm on the fence about changing the bearing. I've inspected mine and it looks and feels perfect. I'm considering leaving the outer seal off and just buttoning it up. Anybody have thoughts on that?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #8

Is it a double row or single? If its a double I would chance it, if it's a single, I would replace it with the ceramic bearing.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #9

Garage
One thing I would suggest is a deposit for the tools if it's lent out, since there are so many people out there. And, if all 50 states were on it, eventually wear and tear will accumulate. So, donations sent will cover the replacement for the kit. It's pretty cool idea and I wouldn't mind lending out tools to a forum member that needs to use them for a one time project.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
1999 base

Garage
Finely back home.
I will respond to your PM here Terry.
As for your dilemma, I think it's a no brainer.
You already have everything apart, and you are doing the job yourself, so most of the cost associated with the IMSB is covered.
The question now, is the cost of the bearing.
You have 2 options. LN for around $650, or pelican for $150.
Take in mind that the pelican kit includes the same single row bearing that you have in the car, and includes a new seal for the bearing cover.
The LN kit comes with an improved bearing (ceramic balls), improve center stud, and improved cover with a new seal.
It is your decision to make which one you want. I went with the LN, but I think the pelican one is a good alternative.
This way or the other, I whould replace the bearing. The hard part of the job is behind you.
Now I have a question. How exactly did you inspect the bearing?
In order to do that, you need to remove the 2 lower tensioners, and the bearing cover.
Once the cover is removed, and you don't have tension on the shaft, you can try wiggling the center stud and look for "play".
Please tell me you didn't do that without locking the camshaft an crankshaft first.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #11

I checked the bearing as you mentioned with the crank and cam locked. There is no play in the bearing and I took the seal off to inspect, smell, etc. I'm pretty sure it's a double row bearing that's why I'm considering leaving it in. The thing is there's already oil in it (I assume it had grease when new). I'm going to quite pondering it and just change it as you suggested.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
1999 base

Garage
If you post a pic of the IMS cover, we can tell you if it's a single or double row.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #13

Yea it's a double row for sure, I just looked real good and can see the second row of bearings back there. BTW Homeboy I believe the last tool is a special tricky insert you can use if the bearing bolt has broken off behind the bearing.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #14

I have a bearing tool set that will be available in a couple of days or so as well. Anybody is welcome to it since it will just sit in a box once I'm done with it.
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c. View Post
I have a bearing tool set that will be available in a couple of days or so as well. Anybody is welcome to it since it will just sit in a box once I'm done with it.
Sam C., PM sent
davekillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #16

Garage
I may also want to get in the loop, but it would be at least a month from now. I could add a Michigan sticker to the mix.

The tools don't look all that difficult to make with a lathe and mill (which I have). Has anyone made technical drawings of the kit?
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #17

Sam C.,
I also have a 3.2 boxster and just bought clutch rebuild parts. I think it would be a good idea to replace the IMS bearing at this time and would like to rent or borrow the removal tool from you if it’s still available. I live in the South east Michigan. New to the Forum.
Jason K.
Ace_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #18

Hello folks,

Never thought I'd see the day ... yet ... found a bunch of ferrous shavings in the oil filter, so here I am. I pulled the transmission and flywheel and it's a dbl row IMSB.
I would highly appreciate borrowing/renting/buying the kit ASAP - I am taking a friends garage up.

Thank you very much for any PMs on the subject.

Best!,
Filip
fcotanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #19

Just curious, you must have pulled the outer bearing seal out. How was the oil/grease in the bearing? Metal fragments floating around? I had metal in my oil filter, pulled the IMS bearing outer seal off and found clean dark oil with little/no grease mix in the bearing. Turns out I had metal in the motor from a totally different source in the cam cover.
Of course a new IMS bearing went in anyway with good advice and help from our great forum members here. I guess experience has taught me to never assume anything. Good luck with it!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #20

3.2S:
I have not yet gotten to the bearing - I want to be able to lock cams and crank first. I have however - nightmares about the scenario you are describing. I will update with what I find as soon as I can, likely in the next few days.

fcotanis is offline   Reply With Quote