View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 11:30 AM   #5
nuvolari

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
You may have read my thread, at least you are asking all the same questions as me.
My IMS bearing replacement thread.
Another thread that I found more informative and less confrontational than most is this one.
sick of ims bearing
The proof is in the pudding though, I hope I will have the engine with the replaced the IMSB installed in a car in less than a month.
Yes, I've read most of your threads on the IMSB and related info and you are the one who inspired my latest interest in the NSK bearing so thank you for all the info, it is appreciated! How long did delivery from France take? It's very strange that it's so difficult to locate that bearing in the US, if at all. And I had the Porsche part number for their IMSB but now I can't find it and it's nowhere to be found online. Does anyone have the Porsche part number for when they actually sold the bearing? Do they still sell it? I know they didn't at first but did release one in later years.
My car presently has the NSK made in Japan bearing but I'm not sure if or when it was replaced. I think the Japanese bearings are not original but not positive. And my car has 160k miles so it's probably not original. The bearing seems in good condition but there was a lot of old dirty oil inside the IMS when I pushed in the center bolt.

Oh, that reminds me: if I go with the NSK option, I'd really like to replace the center bolt, preferably with one a bit stronger but I can not find anywhere that I can buy this bolt, whether OEM or aftermarket. Does anyone know where to find this?
Grant, have you located this or are you reusing your old bolt?
And it's good to know that the NSK bearing has the proper slot for the retaining ring exactly like the OEM version. Grant is the only one to post this info. I had thought that the groove was probably a Porsche specific modification and would not be on a generic bearing so it's good to know that a $60 bearing is all you need for perfect fitment.

Also, Grant, was there another part number on the box? The part number you listed doesn't seem to fit their normal identifying numbers and the searches in the States (and even on NSK's website) never show any availability so I thought maybe there was another number.

Thanks for the help & info....
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote