View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #16
Gelbster

Please listen to what Bill says above. He is one of the few here who has rebuilt M96 engines after a Raby class. The cost of that class alone exceeds a long block engine for normal cars.
There are some rebuild Threads here and on other Forums that mention some of the issues.Google Nutrod for example.
I am laboring this point because I don't want others to embark on an M96 rebuild saying "I've done plenty of LS1 motors so I can do an M96" You also need the M96 tools, and the M96 knowledge.
One little example of measuring tools required - you need to measure all the bores at 3 depths ,120 degrees apart at the same temperature,3 times and get the same results to 1/10th of 1 thou. This is how bore ovality and taper are determined for the M96. Once you have consistent results you need to focus on the worn areas and remeasure to ensure you understand the extent of the ovality & taper problem.Then you need pro advice on remediation if necessary. Discussing this issue alone has consumed hours of time among people who are really smart about M96 engines.That wouldn't be me. An FAA mechanic certification would be the level you are required t work at.
Suggest read as much as you can find ,list all your sources here and then ask questions.
In my case the reason for rebuilding myself was curiosity and challenge.It certainly made no financial sense. It cost me the same as 2 used Boxsters and a huge amount of time. Fascinating project but utter folly. :-). I am still driving it and happy with it !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote