View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #19
jb92563

Hmmmm, J.Fro, that clutch does look nearly new, the wear is not even near the rivet heads yet.

Mine was worn down to the bottom of the grooves before it finally needed replacement. I had put on 20k miles myself at 75K miles and I think the car had its clutch replaced at 35K miles already so 35k-40K is my cars average.

I measured the remaining disk material to be 3/16" on the DMFW side and 1/8" on the transmission side of the clutch before it started slipping during hard acceleration.

I was a little surprised to see that on the new clutch the disk material is only ~ 1/4" thick per side at the start so its lasts a long time.

I think I read that 30k miles under typical hard use is normal but depending on driver techniques and use it could last 2-3 times longer so 30k - 90k miles.

Many drivers let the clutch slip a lot before fully engaging so that wears the clutch faster. I typcally "drop" the clutch and rev match well so there is little slipping and hence less wear.

If you ever smell burned clutch then you need to improve your technique to get longer clutch life.

Even when doing max acceleration standing starts during Auto-X I don't burn the clutch. It just takes practice and good timing to perfect the technique to extend the life of your clutch.

The Boxster is the first of about 6 cars that I have ever had to replace the clutch on within 90,000 miles of driving them.

Check out mine when I replaced it, just 1/16" clear of the rivets and worn to the bottom of the groves, hence there are no groves anymore.
Clutch Replacement

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 11-07-2016 at 11:26 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote