View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #28
jb92563

I got the transmission off with little fuss, although I did not get the balance point on the jack right so lowering the tranny to the ground was not that gracefull and some pieces of wood on the ground helped ease it onto the ground as I lowered the jack all the way down.

Putting it back up will be easier as I can balance the tranny before hand on the jack.

I'll make a note of that balance point for the benefit of other six speed manual folks who are doing the same. I also find myself going back to my own threads to see what I have done when starting to reassemble stuff or take things apart a second time.

I found that my clutch material is about 1/8" on each side think just clearing the rivets that hold the material to the disk. I have not seen a new clutch disk yet but I'd say that its probably reached end of life.

The clutch lever bearing seems to be in fine shape and I'm not sure whether its better to just replace it anyway or not now that things are opened up.
Opinions?

I noticed that the clutch housing levers were a bit more pressed in or deformed on one side, so a new clutch will take care of that piece as well.

I also need to figure out what the test procedure is to test the Dual Mass Flywheel to see if its still OK. Then I can order the parts.

Overall, some would rate this as a challenging DIY, but honestly it was quite easy and as long as you keep track of the order and location of all the nuts/bolts, I put them in baggies and labeled the bag, its really no big deal. I could see how doing this in the future would only take 3-4 hrs now that I know the process and don't have to wait on the special stubby XZN M10 driver.

I am also going to be able to shoot some lithium grease into the starter bearing/gear as I had a noisy disengagement squeal on occasion and hopefully that will be resolved as well.

I can also see the IMS cover and after blowing out the dust a bit I should be able to tell conclusively if I have the dual or single row bearing.

Notice the extended flange on the deeper single row and absence of it on the shallower dual row below.

Attached Images

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-22-2016 at 06:48 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote