View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Gelbster

As a general rule M6 bolts into the M96 are 10Nm. But that assumes you chased the threaded hole and cleaned swarf/oil/dirt out. I usually use a little less but use blue loctite.On the sump plate I used green because of removing it for inspection.
The sealant -whatever you do it is a nuisance because at some stage you'll need to remove/clean the sealant. I used DreiBond(3bond) and followed the directions. Use only the absolute minimum size bead -3mm max. I try to place it toward the outer edge to prevent ooze getting into the sump. I would rather have a little weepage of oil that lumps of sealer floating in the oil.
I am tempted to try Hylomar because it may be easier to remove.
The sealants are anerobic so slap the parts together asap and leave them for a day or more to set.
Just pretend the bolts are cylinder head bolts and use that criss-cross pattern and tighten in many progressive stages. I use an old aircraft mechanics 1/4 dial-type torque wrench.Full deflection is 9+Nm. so it is easy to see.
On my recent deep sump project I replaced all the bolts with custom length s/s studs+red loctite - so much easier and no chance of stripping threads. From a geekish engineering point of view ,the studs are a good way of dealing with this issue in other parts of the engine also.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote