View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Since you've only owned Japanese before, go into this purchase with your eyes wide open:

Late model Porsches do not have suspension parts that will wear as durably or long lasting as any Japanese car you've owned in the past. Control arms, struts, wheel bearings, drop links, etc. may wear out on your Boxster within the first 100,000 miles. Additionally, the oxygen sensors and MAF (mass air fuel sensor) for emissions can crap out on you in just 60k miles or so and they're not cheap.

It also chews up rear tires in a fraction of the time you'd expect due to the negative camber and oil changes, even if done DIY are $125.

Budget $1000 a year for maintenance and repairs on the car and you'll be in a better mental frame of mind when something needs fixing. You may not use it the first year, but you'll need to escrow the money for repairs later unless you plan to trade the car in 3-4 years max.

Oh yeah... and find a good indy shop and avoid the stealerships for maintenance.
+1 ^^^ what he said ^^^

The only thing that I'll add is that the money in a Porsche is all in the driving experience, not in the reliability. The cars are fast, handle exceptionally well, and are super fun to drive - but modern Porsche's (anything water cooled) are not at the pinnacle of longevity, reliability, or low cost of ownership. Don't get me wrong, they run great and will serve you well, but they won't equal Toyota or Honda in that regard.

By the way, I am local to you (South Pas). A great indy shop is House Automotive in Pasadena. I have all four of my Porsche's repaired there. If you buy the car, I'd be glad to introduce you to the owner of House Auto.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-30-2015 at 11:18 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote